Treadmill Tuesday: 20 Minute Interval Workout

Hello! It’s time for another Treadmill Tuesday as I try and find ways to make treadmill running enjoyable during the winter. I really do miss the cardio cinema at my gym; staring at a large mirror of myself is really not the same.  Maybe I can act out a movie with myself during a run. That should keep me entertained and also keep some treadmills free in my local vicinity.

Yesterday in between shadowing classes and taking the last one of the morning, I hopped on the treadmill. There is only 30 minutes before the next class starts, so yesterday’s run was a short 20 minute interval workout. An interval workout is comprised of short, intense periods of exercise followed by an equal or slightly longer period of recovery.  I wanted to make sure that I got my 20 minutes worth, so I turned up the speed on those higher intensity rounds.  The workout is split into 2 minute segments alternating between max effort and a slower period in order to catch your breath and recover.

Make sure that you push yourself during those higher intensity rounds; you should be counting the seconds until you can stop. Use the slower speed rounds to recover and gear up for the next two minutes. Enjoy!

20 min interval

I am linking up with Sara for Tried It Tuesday.  I hope you have a great day and to all my friends on the east coast I hope the weather isn’t too unmanageable!  Stay warm! Do this workout!

• Did you get a lot of snow?
  • What’s your favorite kind of workout to do on the treadmill?
  • What other kinds of treadmill runs would you like to see?

January 27, 2015 / 1:22 pm

Let me know how you like it! It’s short–you can do it!

1. January 27, 2015 / 11:44 am

Oooh, when I’m finally back to running, I’m going to have to add this to my rotation – especially if I can’t run outside because of the weather! Which, for us, was disappointing. It snowed a little this morning and now, it’s all completely gone. I guess the people who hate snow are happy about that. Me? I could have used an extra hour of sleep. 🙂
    Jennifer @ A Hungry Runner recently posted…Chicken Curry & my first Tasty Tuesday linkup!My Profile

January 27, 2015 / 1:23 pm

I hate when you think you will be covered in snow and there will be all kinds of delays and then there’s just a huge disappointment. You can come here to Chicago; the snow has been pitiful so far (knock on wood it stays that way).

2. January 27, 2015 / 11:47 am

I’m definitely a big fan of interval workouts on the treadmill. It keeps things from getting boring! I live in Texas, so no snow here. While I’m glad were not snowed in, I would at least like to be able to tell it’s winter (the high today is 74F)!
    Lauren @ Fun, Fit, and Fabulous! recently posted…Peanut Almond Chia Protein BitesMy Profile

January 27, 2015 / 1:24 pm

You can come to Chicago! I would love some 74 degrees right now. You’re right though, it’s always a little unnerving when the temperature doesn’t match the season.

3. Lauren
    January 27, 2015 / 12:32 pm

Just did this interval workout and am dripping sweat! I loved it-and would love more like this-maybe even including some hill workouts too! I live in AZ—no snow–kinda gloomy—so this run was exactly what I needed!

Thanks:)

Lauren

January 27, 2015 / 1:25 pm

Wow that was fast! Way to go! Hill workouts is a great idea…I always forget to play around with the inclines but have been doing more of that in some of my classes lately. Thanks!

January 28, 2015 / 2:13 pm

Yeah I think from doing all the HIIT and circuit stuff at Sweat I have gotten so used to changing around my speed. I love those slower times though when I can finally breathe again!

4. January 27, 2015 / 1:37 pm

Cardio cinema?! Wow, I could totally get down with that!
    Yeah, we got slammed with snow here! It’s nice to have a day at home though!

January 28, 2015 / 2:13 pm

I bet! Hope you are staying warm!

5. January 27, 2015 / 2:18 pm

Yes, Pittsburgh did get snow yesterday!!! I loved it! I don’t really like the treadmill unless its cold outside and I can’t get out there, this looks like it would keep my attention though!!! I’ll try it! 🙂
    Jessica @Myhealthypassion.com recently posted…The SkimmMy Profile

January 28, 2015 / 2:14 pm

Let me know how you like it! It’s great to run outside when the weather allows it, but I am such a wuss and can’t handle running in the cold. Treadmill it is…

6. January 28, 2015 / 7:20 am

I have to try this on the treadmill. I totally have to break things up on there I get SO bored and I feel like it takes an eternity no matter how I distract myself (TV, music, etc.) The treadmill a necessary evil in New Hampshire from about October until April as I am too paranoid to run outside!
    Erin recently posted…How To Overcome Unhealthy Food Temptations and CravingsMy Profile

January 28, 2015 / 2:15 pm

Yeah I feel your pain. Well, I could technically still run outside bc the ground is clear and it’s not TOO cold, but I’m going to complain and say that it is. It’s much more convenient w a treadmill in my building too.