Five Things Friday #35

Happy Friday everyone!

Today marks my first day of paid employment at Sweat and I am super excited! I have about a 2 hour gap in between classes this morning, so I am going to take that time to hop over to the Lakefront Trail and get in my run for the day. Since there’s only about 8 weeks left until the Chicago Spring Half Marathon, I have started incorporating more running into my weeks to prepare.  My workout schedule is typically 3 days of strength or HIIT classes and 2 days of running. I have been doing my longer runs on the weekends and the schedule has been working out really well!

In typical Friday fashion I want to bring you some of my favorite things from this week. Make sure to share yours with me as well; I always need the scoop on new things!

1. Dehydrated Medjool Dates

I have been talking about how I love Medjool dates and almond butter as a snack (maybe too much), but I don’t like them when they are sticky and squishy. The last batch I bought at Costco ended up drying out some when I just left the top off the container, but this new one I got will not dry out for the life of me.

I decided to dehydrate them some myself in the oven at a low temp over the course of a few hours and not only did they firm up, but they turned into the most deliciously caramelized snack. Now I really think I may have a problem.

IMG_1808.JPG(Follow me on Instagram!)

2. CoSchedule

I have been toying with the idea of using CoSchedule for some time now. CoSchedule is an editorial calendar that lets me visually plan and see my posts and social media messages all within WordPress. It is paid, but I have heard nothing but good things and the articles they have about the business side of blogging are extremely helpful and time sucking if you are not careful. There is a 14 day free trial and I finally signed up, but I’m pretty sure I will continue once the trial is over. So far it is rocking my socks.

CoSchedule-Blog-Editorial-Calendar-ogimage-1200x630

(source)

3. Body of Truth

I was sent this book by the marketing department of the publisher and started reading it yesterday. It is an examination of how science, history, and culture drive our obsession with weight and I found it very interesting. Normally I am a bigger fan of classical fiction and steer clear of statistic-based non-fiction books, but since this is a topic I am interested in I have been learning a lot. Definitely a compelling read and I am looking forward to finishing it!

IMG_1809.JPG

4. Natural Calm

I used to drink Calm a lot before I went to bed and then I just fell out of routine. I don’t normally have trouble sleeping, but the past week I have been waking up early in the morning and then tossing and turning until I have to start the day. I think it has to do with the warmer temps and being too hot when I am sleeping, but who knows.

I remembered Calm and found it buried away in the linen closet. It is a magnesium supplement that helps relax the muscles and stresses on the body. When I used to work at a chiropractor’s office it was something that was frequently recommended in their nutrition program.  Long story short: it helps me sleep through the night.  Their website can give you much more information on the benefits and how crucial the balance between calcium and magnesium is, so to read more click here.

300

(source)

5. Mystery Clothes

When Neil’s 321654867184 audio boxes showed up the other day, I simply stacked them up in the living room and thought nothing of it. When he got home and went through them, one of the packages was actually for me. I opened a box that was full of exercise clothes from Champion. There was no note or anything in the box and I have no idea why I got the clothes. I enjoy getting things in the mail, but it has been driving me crazy as to why. I didn’t sign up to review them or reach out to the company. Since I have them I will obviously try them out, but I really wish I knew where they came from!

IMG_1795.JPG

I hope you all have a great weekend!

• What is one of your favorite things this week?
  • What’s your favorite snack?
  • Anyone else race training or going for a long run this weekend?
  • Did you send me these clothes??

Disclaimer: There are some affiliate links included in this post.  If you follow an affiliate link and go on to purchase that product or service, I will be paid a small commission, however your cost will be the same (and quite possibly less if I’m highlighting a promotion).

1. Konika
    March 20, 2015 / 8:06 am

That is so cool about your mystery package!!! I hope you find out who your Secret Santa is. 🙂 That book you mentioned sounds really interesting … And yes, Calm is amazing. I love that stuff – thanks again to you and Neil for telling me about it!

March 20, 2015 / 3:11 pm

Well it looks like we are on the same page on everything then 🙂

2. March 20, 2015 / 9:06 am

Yay for being paid!!!! Working woman!!

Lol on the mystery clothes! Idk if I would trust something that came in the mail without a note….who am I kidding it’s free clothes yes I would!
    Lauren @ ihadabiglunch recently posted…Bea’s Bran MuffinsMy Profile

March 20, 2015 / 3:11 pm

Now I’m legit. Oh I will definitely trust this and wear them all around haha.

March 20, 2015 / 3:11 pm

I know it was like Christmas!!

3. danielle
    March 20, 2015 / 10:59 am

wow free clothes and they are cute, awesome!
    i love Natural Calm. just ordered some more 😀

March 20, 2015 / 3:10 pm

Yeah Im pretty pumped about them! Yay another Calm user. It’s the best!

4. March 20, 2015 / 11:09 am

Great post! Thanks for recommending CoSchedule and for trying it out. Be in touch if you have any other questions along the way 🙂

March 20, 2015 / 3:10 pm

Will do! So far so good!

5. March 20, 2015 / 11:57 am

Who doesn’t love surprise free stuff??? That is so awesome! Also, you’ll have to let me know how you like CoSchedule. I’ve always heard really good things, but I haven’t done too much research in to it yet.
    Stephanie @ My Freckled Life recently posted…Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes!My Profile

March 20, 2015 / 3:09 pm

I know right?? Yeah, so far I am really liking CoSchedule and I will be sure to update you once the trial is over and I’ve used it some more.

6. March 20, 2015 / 1:40 pm

Ummm…I wish Champion sent me some free clothes. I love their Target line! Thanks for posting that book, it looks super interesting. One that I should read while tanning on the beach 😉 xoxo, ganeeban
    ganeeban recently posted…My Confidence GapMy Profile

March 20, 2015 / 3:08 pm

Yeah this book has some interesting stuff in it. I think it is released later this month or early next month so check it out! PS. I can’t wait to be tanning on a beach!

7. March 20, 2015 / 4:43 pm

Mmmm I love dates!!! Especially stuffed or dipped in cream cheese!
    Kim recently posted…Daily Eats!My Profile

March 24, 2015 / 9:04 am

Cream cheese? That sounds magical!

8. March 22, 2015 / 6:16 pm

That would be awesome to find a box of running clothes in my house!! Best day ever! I did my longest run for Boston this past Friday, so that was my Friday favorite. You know, just surviving it 🙂
    Lisa @ TechChick Adventures recently posted…22 done!My Profile

March 26, 2015 / 11:40 am

Nice job! Good luck with Boston!!

9. March 22, 2015 / 9:15 pm

Costco does have a great price on those Medjool dates and they’re good, I have some in my pantry and snack on them too. Last night we ate out and gorgonzola-stuffed dates were on the menu– I didn’t get them but the the idea sounds so good. How cool that some company sent you those clothes because of your blog (I assume). That’s never happened to me!
    Mary @ Fit and Fed recently posted…2015 Pacific Coast Adult Sectionals Part IIMy Profile

March 26, 2015 / 11:41 am

I keep hearing more about stuffing dates with cheese…I may have to try this!