Do you ever have one of those days? This morning started off great with teaching an awesome class, working out, then heading home. I had to go to Costco some time this week and today was really the only time for me to do it. I decided to either skip or post late today so I could get there when they opened and proceeded to load up the car with my crazy city lady cart and hit the road.
I did all of my shopping and then as I was checking out I was informed that they no longer allow forms of payment from other people (I use my husband’s debit card). Although I don’t normally argue with people, I thought it was absurd since I had just used the same card to renew our membership and while he wasn’t physically there, we both have a membership. She told me she couldn’t do anything for me and I had to leave the store on the verge of tears.
I was upset mainly because I was embarrassed. She didn’t know that right now I am not working (aside from small writing gigs) and that until I actually start teaching, I don’t have much disposable income. I felt the same feelings of self doubt and inadequacy that come with working towards a goal but not quite being there yet. As a planner, I was also upset that I wasted an entire hour of my day to essentially renew a membership to a place that won’t let me buy their products. A new solution for shopping at Costco will need to be figured out which is fine and manageable, but the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth.
What will leave a good taste in your mouth, however, is this honey cashew milk latte! You may remember that I drank a honey almond milk latte every day when I was in Santa Monica and I wanted to recreate it at home.
You can make this drink with any kind of nut, dairy, or other type of milk—the choice is yours. I used cashew milk because it is what I had on hand, but feel free to use whatever you would like! You can also read how to make almond milk here.
To make the cashew milk:
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 5 cups of water
- (optional) sweetener of choice: maple syrup, Medjool dates, vanilla, etc
- Soak 1 cup of cashews in water anywhere from 2-8 hours. Cashews are soft and do not require long soaking times. I am impatient and usually only soak mine for 2.
- After soaking, drain and rinse cashews. Add them to a blender with 1 cup of water and sweetener if using. Blend until the cashews resemble a thick cream.
- Add the remaining 4 cups of water and blend for a few minutes until all combined. Make sure when using the milk to shake it before use since it tends to separate.
To make the latte:
- 1/2-1 cup milk of choice
- 1 shot of espresso (1 ounce) or strong coffee
- 1 Tbsp honey
- Warm the milk and honey in the mug you will be using. I just put it in the microwave for about 40 seconds.
- If you want to make it frothy, use an aerator or milk frother after heating.
- Add the espresso or coffee.
Thanks for letting me rant and I hope you all enjoy a warm drink on a cold day! Thanks to Sara for Tried It Tuesday.
- Have you ever been frustrated on the journey to reach a goal? Tell me about it!
- What is your favorite kind of milk?
- What is something random about you?