How To Make Steel Cut Oats in a Rice Cooker

I woke up to a morning like any other spring morning…snowy? Looks like we are not quite done with winter yet, but hopefully it’ll be over soon.

What’s a better way to warm up from all this snow than with a big bowl of oatmeal? Before I switched to my eggs and mushrooms phase, I used to eat oatmeal every day for over a year with stevia and pumpkin pie spice. I used rolled oats that were ready in 2 minutes and it was glorious.

What I loved about it was that it took so little time and I am unquestionably lazy when it comes to preparing most of my food. I knew that steel cut oats were a better option in the oatmeal world, but any oatmeal that takes 20-30 minutes to cook was immediately off my breakfast agenda.

I decided to buy some steel cut oats last week so that I had good base of carbohydrates before my morning workouts and runs, but I made sure to findย a quicker way to make them. Enter my rice cooker. I use this for both rice (obviously) and quinoa and it has made my life so much better for its existence. I tried out my oats and voila–enough made for 4 mornings all while I blogged or had a dance party or whatever it is I do here all day.

steel oats rice cooker

IMG_1780.JPG

IMG_1781.JPG

IMG_1782.JPG

IMG_1783.JPG

IMG_1784.JPG

IMG_1786.JPG

IMG_1787.JPG

IMG_1788.JPG

Steel Cut Oats In A Rice Cooker

• 1 cup steel cut oats
  • 4 cups liquid (water, dairy milk, non dairy milk, etc)
  1. Before putting the oats in the rice cooker, I rubbed coconut oil on the inside to prevent the oats from sticking to the container.
  2. Add the oats and liquid to the cooker. I still had cashew milk, so I did a mix of 2 cups cashew milk and 2 cups water.
  3. Use the brown rice setting on your rice cooker. Fancier cookers also may have a “porridge” setting. If yours does, use this.
  4. Have a dance party.
  5. When the oats are done, they will still look very watery when you open the lid. Don’t be fooled, there are delicious cooked oats underneath. Simply give them a good stir.
  6. Separate oats into containers and when ready to eat, microwave for 90 seconds. If you like your oats a little soupy, add a little water before reheating and stir when done.

If you don’t have a rice cooker, you can also make these in a slow cooker by following the same steps. Just set the slow cooker on low for 7-8 hours.

I have been having this for breakfast every morning for about a week and a half and have been loving it so far. Feel free to fancy up your oats with whatever toppings or flavors strike you. I have been having mine with some maple syrup, almond butter, and granola.

Unrelated topic: Neil and I started watching Empire this weekend and then watched the whole season because it was so good. Watch it!

• What’s your favorite oatmeal topping?
  • Do you have any other breakfast hacks?
  • Is it spring or winter where you are?
  • Did you watch Empire this season?
Share:

March 24, 2015 / 9:04 am

It’s essential to good oats.

1. March 23, 2015 / 11:38 am

Love this!!! I actually just bought some steel cut oats this weekend totally on a whim. I might have to try this rice cooker method, although mine isn’t nearly as fancy as yours (there is no white/brown rice button), so we’ll see how it works! I love the coconut oil idea though!
    Stephanie @ My Freckled Life recently posted…“He has your nose!” {Weekend Recap}My Profile

March 24, 2015 / 9:05 am

Yeah the coconut oil definitely makes clean up a breeze! Let me know how it is with your rice cooker…I think the brown rice button just cooks it for a little longer.

2. March 23, 2015 / 11:54 am

Never would have thought of using a rice cooker for oatmeal! What a clever idea! Mine definitely isn’t fancy either – I just have a “cook” button to push. Think I’m going to have to give it a try! As for toppings, I’m an almond butter, banana, and blueberry girl. ๐Ÿ™‚ And, I think it’s spring (finally!) but I wore gloves and a hat and long sleeves on my run this morning so maybe just a little bit of spring?

3. March 23, 2015 / 12:38 pm

Woohoo for Dance Parties! I have dance/singing parties with my pit bull all the time. She loves them ๐Ÿ˜‰ This is a great idea. I don’t have a rice cooker, but have been thinking about getting one. I like making steel cut oats in the slow cooker but no matter what something always sticks.
    thesimplepeach recently posted…CREAMY CHEESY POTATO SOUP {vegetarian}My Profile

March 26, 2015 / 11:41 am

Definitely try rubbing the inside with coconut oil…it makes clean up super easy!

4. March 23, 2015 / 6:59 pm

I won a rice cooker from a giveaway (that I seemed to have forgotten I ever entered?..) and wondered what the heck I was going to use a rice cooker for. I don’t like rice. Truth. BUT! I found out you can cook lots of things in a rice cooker, like these steel cut oats! Thanks for sharing! And here’s a great article I found on buzzfeed which shows loads of other things you can cook in a rice cooker.

Kaylin @ Enticing Healthy Eating recently posted…Gone, but not ForgottenMy Profile

March 24, 2015 / 9:06 am

That’s amazing! I am definitely going to check that out. Thanks!

5. March 24, 2015 / 3:09 am

I don’t have any breakfast hacks other than being a bad girl and skipping it from time to time (not good!) I just watched the first two episodes of Empire. I had no time to commit to any shows before I moved and now I have some down time while I’m basically unemployable until I get my National ID here, so I’m catching up with Better Call Saul, Fargo, and Empire. I feel like I’ve escaped winter entirely, it’s actually been really sunny and beautiful here in Glasgow, which I wouldn’t have ever guessed it would be. Hopefully you’ll have some spring flowers soon! ๐Ÿ™‚
    Erin recently posted…My First Week in ScotlandMy Profile

March 24, 2015 / 9:07 am

That’s great Im glad you’re enjoying it there so far. Do you love Empire??

6. Matt O
    April 30, 2017 / 11:44 am

I gave this a try this morning. I missed the step with coconut oil, but added a table spoon if butter. Unfortunately I had a massive boil over. Any thoughts?

7. Marci Crane
    May 3, 2017 / 2:38 pm

Thanks for the tip. Thanks to this blog entry I’ve been enjoying some delicious steel-cooked oats right out of the rice cooker that I’ve never used before!

8. Kim
    September 9, 2017 / 10:54 am

I just made this and it turned out amazing! I followed the directions explicitly. Added a smudge of real vanilla because…yum! Perfect lazy girl breakfast! My dance party skills need some work, however!

September 11, 2017 / 7:03 pm

That’s great! Glad it turned out. Don’t worry – there’s no judgement in a dance party