Five Things Friday #38

Hey guys! Happy Friday! Do you have anything fun planned for this weekend?

I totally do not and I am sensing a theme here. At the end of the month Neil and I have two weddings to attend on back to back weekends, so that will definitely make for a more adventurous time, but until then I will be camped out around home sweet home.  I am teaching this morning at 6 am and 7 am and it will be nice to see my early morning crew again since I haven’t see them much since I stopped shadowing. It won’t be so nice to wake up at 5 am, but then I’ll be done and ready for the weekend by 8 am. Not too shabby.

To celebrate Friday, let’s take a look at some of my favorite things from this week! Also, my article on why I stopped being gluten free was published yesterday on The Huffington Post, so if you missed it click here!

1. Oxygen Magazine

I used to read this magazine ALL THE TIME when I was doing more strength work. It’s one of the few women’s fitness magazines that celebrates muscle and strength and provides you with seriously intense exercises.  Other women’s magazines were either too damaging for me or provided exercises that were way too easy. #liftlikeagirl

I ended up getting a subscription and my first one came this week. Still loving it.

IMG_2047.JPG

2. Headline Analyzer

I have already professed my love for CoSchedule and one of the reasons is their Headline Analyzer.  All you have to do it type in your potential headline and they will analyze it and give you a numerical score based on tons of market research.  Along with the score you will get a breakdown and suggestions on how to improve your headline for maximum impact. The best part? Totally free.

headline analyzer

3. Nivea In-Shower Body Lotion

During my latest trip to Target I needed to pick up some more lotion. Since it is no longer a frozen tundra here, I didn’t want to stock up on more heavy duty Eucerin and looked for a lighter option. I came across this in-shower body lotion from Nivea and decided to give it a try because I am extremely lazy about applying lotion after the shower. It is my least favorite part. I have been using it this week and so far it’s been working pretty well. Just be sure to thoroughly rinse the shower out so you don’t slip! Has anyone else tried this?

IMG_2045.JPG

4. Nespresso

I have a love-hate relationship with our Nespresso machine. I drink decaf espresso regularly and the at-home version ends up tasting really watery to me. Neil and I have been talking about springing for a legit espresso machine, but that hasn’t come to fruition yet.

I’ve discovered that if I don’t ONLY drink the espresso, but make it into a drink, then it is tolerable. Whenever the weather is gross or I don’t have to go outside I have been making my honey cashew milk lattes and staying warm.  Don’t mind all the Blue Apron recipes; I haven’t found a place to keep them yet!

IMG_2044.JPG

5. Seconds App

Wednesday was a foggy mess outside and I really didn’t feel like walking to Sweat to do the workout.  I checked it out online and realized that the building gym had all the equipment I needed to do it on my own. The only problem was that the workout was broken into 4 rounds of 3 3-min segments with 0:30 seconds of rest in between each one (see below). I investigated timer apps on my phone and settled on Seconds, a free app that lets me program all kinds of different timers.  I was able to set up the whole workout, press start, and never once have to mess with the timer.  It was fantastic.

There is a paid version, Seconds Pro, but so far the free one has everything that I need.

icon175x175

IMG_2025.PNG

workout

Happy birthday yesterday to Susie who always keeps it real.  We will celebrate with donuts upon your return.

• Do you use a fitness timer? If so, which one?
  • Do you have any favorite fitness magazines?
  • What are you doing this weekend?

1. April 10, 2015 / 6:50 am

I wish that I had had the seconds app for the airport yesterday. Not for me, though. For the airlines. Because they was OVERDUE. I was so blarg at the gym yesterday. You would have laugh–like I was such a slug. And now I'm home and the sun is shining, and I just want to go run outside, dammit. BAH
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Friday Five (s) : Runner Favorites and ConfessionsMy Profile

April 12, 2015 / 11:06 am

Don’t hurt yourself running! This reply is super late but I’m glad you FINALLY were able to get home to birthday celebrations!!

April 12, 2015 / 11:07 am

So far it’s been pretty good! I used to use Nivea lotion back in the day too so the smell is always a good throwback for me.

2. April 10, 2015 / 9:36 am

Ooo never heard of that app but it sounds helpful! The only time I’ve needed a timer is when I do tabata workouts and Spotify has specific tabata songs which is awesome.

I love magazines (I used to dream of working at one) so I don’t discriminate haha. Oxygen is a good one too 🙂
    Lauren @ ihadabiglunch recently posted…Life Lately: a Little Less Cinderella, a Little More Gus GusMy Profile

April 12, 2015 / 11:08 am

I get scared by some of those tabata songs bc all the ones I’ve found have a scary deep voice start counting down at the end. Maybe I’m weird.

3. April 10, 2015 / 11:12 am

I’ve actually never read Oxygen before! I’ll have to check it out. And I’m so intrigued by this “in shower” body lotion concept… so you just slather in on while you’re still under the water? Doesnt it rinse right off? I DONT UNDERSTAND!!! 🙂
    Stephanie @ My Freckled Life recently posted…Lip Syncs and Bubble Baths {Five Favorites Friday}My Profile

April 12, 2015 / 11:09 am

Hahaha. Yeah, you do all your washing business, then slap some on, then wash it off. BAM GOOD TO GO.

April 12, 2015 / 11:10 am

Sweet I’ll have to check that one out too. I used to have that lotion problem too until I told myself I wasn’t allowed to buy anymore until I had used the other one up. If I didn’t like it I would just start lotioning myself at all times so I could use it faster haha.

4. April 10, 2015 / 12:44 pm

That headline analyzer is awesome! It really goes into depth hey?!
    I use my gymboss timer whenever I do circuits – have been using it for years and love it!
    Beverley Cheng recently posted…Fitness ShootMy Profile

April 12, 2015 / 11:11 am

Yeah there’s a lot of depth to it! I love it. I’ll have to check that timer out too. Thanks for reading!

5. April 10, 2015 / 3:44 pm

I love magazines but hate how expensive they are!!!
    Kim recently posted…Pretty Fit Box!My Profile

April 12, 2015 / 11:11 am

Me too that’s why I got this subscription. I haven’t had a magazine subscription in years but figured I kept buying this one so it was cheaper to subscribe!

April 12, 2015 / 11:13 am

So far me too. It makes me want to lift all the weights!

6. April 12, 2015 / 10:34 am

The only running magazine I like is “Running Times” and I haven’t seen it in stores in several months. I love it because it’s not as glammy as Runner’s World, which to me seems like fluff. Ah well. I find most of what I need online but still, I love holding things in my hands (TWSS).
    Suzy recently posted…Blended Family Friday: Continental BreakfastMy Profile

April 12, 2015 / 11:14 am

I used to get Runner’s World but I haven’t read it in awhile. That’s how I am with books. I could never have a Kindle bc I need to touch it and see how far I have left to go (TWSS back).