Five Things Friday #39

Happy Friday! I hope your week has treated you well.  I’m here for my weekly five things Friday post, but before that make sure to check out my new post on A Sweat Life about two of my mantras that I try and live by on a regular basis.

mantras

1. SoulCycle

SoulCycle had it’s opening day here in Chicago on Tuesday and I happened to attend their second class ever (the first sold out in under 5 min). Neil’s cousin was in town and she has been raving about SoulCycle for the entire time that I have known her! Unfortunately they no longer have one where she lives, so we signed up and made all her dreams come true.

You may remember that spinning is not my favorite thing, but since I hadn’t experienced a spin class at SoulCycle and I wanted a chance to hang out, I signed up. After a sweaty 45 minutes, I think my opinion may have changed! I don’t know what it was, but I enjoyed this workout much more than any other spin classes I have done. It was like one big dance party the whole time and I am planning on dragging Neil since he loves to dance and I think he’d really enjoy it. I’m just waiting for the one closer to home to open and I’m back in!

IMG_2070.JPG

A USB port in each locker to charge your phone. This must be heaven.

IMG_2071.JPG

IMG_2072.JPG

2. Foodie Pen Pals

My match for March’s Foodie Pen Pals was Sarah, but unfortunately there was a bit of a mail error on both our ends and I didn’t get her package until we were already into April. Instead of posting about it at the end of the month, I wanted to share it in this week’s favorites.

She sent me two Odwalla bars, rainbow kettle corn, granola from San Francisco, and dark chocolate coated toasted coconut chips. I love getting food in the mail. Thanks Sarah!

IMG_2048.JPG

3. Vanilla Protein Powder

I have been using Sunwarrior chocolate protein powder, but when it was time to buy more I decided to switch to vanilla to change things up. The weird thing is that it just tastes like a lighter chocolate flavor, but I’m still loving it anyway!

IMG_2043.JPG

4. Trader Joe’s Kung Pao Chicken

I am not a big fan of Chinese food, but Neil loves it. I bought this Kung Pao chicken from TJs a couple weeks ago and made it for his birthday. It was really fast and easy to make and I actually enjoyed it too! The ingredient list was way better than buying takeout and I’ll probably be stocking up on this again.

IMG_2023.JPG

IMG_2024.JPG

5. Sriracha pump

Well it looks like this post is mainly about foods that I am loving this week. I went to grab dinner from my local Protein Bar the other night and when I couldn’t find their regular bottles of Sriracha to slather my food in, I asked someone behind the counter. They referred me to the pump I was standing right in front of and my mind was blown with the ability to pump this glorious spice onto anything my heart desired.

IMG_2091.JPG

For my Chicagoans (or anyone wanting to run the Chicago marathon this year):

Gilda’s Club Chicago, an organization that offers free programs for individuals and families affected by cancer, has 16 guaranteed spots available for the 2015 Bank of America Chicago Marathon through their Red Door Runners program. The deadline to register for the 2015 Chicago Marathon is Tuesday, April 21, 2015, so this is a great opportunity for runners to secure a spot for themselves in the race before the deadline hits! As a Gilda’s Red Door Runner, participants are asked to raise a minimum of $1,000 and are guaranteed entry in the 2015 Bank of America Chicago Marathon.

Funds raised help the club continue to deliver innovative programs of more than 300 free activities each month from healthy lifestyle workshops to support groups and social activities.

Whether running, walking, jogging, wogging or however you move forward, here are some perks to being a Red Door Runner.

• Customized Red Door Runner performance dry fit T-shirt
  • Fundraising Kit and all kinds of great SWAG
  • Free in-person and online training with Coach Brendan (Chicago Marathon only)

Gilda’s Club will also provide participants an individual webpage to help raise funds. Registration closes on April 21, 2015. For more information, please contact Nadia Garcia or the Gilda’s Club Chicago clubhouse at 312-464-9900.

Thanks for reading and I hope you have a great weekend!!

• What’s one of your favorite things this week?
  • What would you pump Sriracha on?
  • Do you like spinning? Chinese food?

1. April 17, 2015 / 7:07 am

One thing I would NOT pump sriracha on would be my face. That would hurt. Had you known how much you would love SoulCycle you could have signed up to spin with Lady Gaga–she is having a benefit class this Monday, I believe. Would be absolute chaos, but definitely a party!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Favorite Healthy Food Companies and ProductsMy Profile

• April 17, 2015 / 8:39 am

OMFG Susie, that comment was hilar. I was going to write something like, “you said ‘pump’…hehehe” but now it’s just lame compared to the visual of pumping sriracha on your face. Now I’m never going to be able to eat the stuff without thinking about that. BUT ANYWAY. I put it on my salads mixed with ranch dressing. Sigh… so boring.
      Suzy recently posted…Blended Family Friday: Tough to DigestMy Profile

April 17, 2015 / 9:38 am

Not boring. You should see the weird things I put it on. I also mix it with other things like spicy mustard. Apparently I can’t get enough spice in my life.

April 17, 2015 / 9:37 am

I did see that in the news but I can’t handle all that. Keeping sriracha off your face is a good idea unless it is in your mouth.

April 17, 2015 / 9:39 am

It was so much fun! Idk what was different about it except that it was more focused on the music beat than about numbers and resistance and beating people so I just felt like I was dancing and having a good time!

April 17, 2015 / 9:40 am

That would be AMAZING. That junk can get expensive. Also I need to get Neil to go bc he can never find any exercise he enjoys!

April 20, 2015 / 9:34 am

I think fried rice is the perfect thing for Sriracha. Guess you’ll just have to come visit Chicago!

2. April 17, 2015 / 12:55 pm

I really, really want to make it into the city to go to a Soul Cycle class. I’ve never tried spinning but I’m buying into the hype and would love to try it. And I really want to try Sunwarrior, too–I hear really great things about it. So many things to try. 🙂

April 20, 2015 / 9:35 am

They are both great things! I used to hate spinning too so I’m hoping this wasn’t a fluke class that I loved haha.

3. April 17, 2015 / 1:39 pm

A sriracha pump??? What is this, heaven??? 🙂

Also, I’ve heard SUCH good things about SoulCycle (and FlyWheel for that matter) and have never tried either! Maybe when we move to the big city this summer I’ll actually be able to check out some fun new studios!
    Stephanie @ My Freckled Life recently posted…Emphasis on the “Random” {Five Favorites Friday}My Profile

April 20, 2015 / 9:36 am

I know right??

I am excited for your big city living soon! I’m sure it will be a big change 🙂

4. April 17, 2015 / 4:18 pm

I almost always go for a vanilla protein powder over a chocolate one, mostly because it’s so much more versatile and I can always add cocoa powder if I want something chocolatey. That and I kind of see chocolate protein powder like chocolate ice cream — the flavour is never intense enough for me!
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. black forest smoothie .My Profile

April 20, 2015 / 9:37 am

I am learning that the vanilla is definitely more versatile so I think I will probably stick with that one!

5. April 18, 2015 / 3:52 pm

Ah I absolutely LOVE getting mail!! Especially food!! I would love a foodie pen pal!
    Kim recently posted…ProYo Frozen YogurtMy Profile