I Only Have 7 Thoughts Today

Hello friends! How is your Thursday treating you so far?

Thursdays are great for me because I don’t usually teach and my writing deadlines have usually passed. It’s also my rest day from working out so I have ALL THE TIME to sit and watch mindless television. Ha, who am I kidding? I always find a million things that need to get done and it’s really only when I am avoiding responsibility that I escape into the land of Netflix.

Just like there are a million things to get done, there are a million things in my brain at any given time. Let’s get this party started with another Thinking Out Loud.

1. This salad. I get giddy in any kind of health store and I have had a good experience with Karyn’s numerous locations and different food preparations around the city. I had a chance to stop into Karyn’s Fresh Corner and Day Spa the other night to grab some dinner. You may think by “this salad” I mean it was the most amazing thing ever, but the opposite it actually true.  I ate about 1/4 of it and then threw the rest of it away. I love all sorts of raw and random foods, but this did not do it for me at all. The whole store was also super overpriced and I’m better off making things at home. There’s always more excitement when you buy it out though, am I right?

IMG_1886.JPG

IMG_1885.JPG

2. I need to invest in an actual pair of shoes. When I was living on the East coast for my whole life until now, I was the girl who would wear flip flops throughout the year. Chicago has made that impossible (tears) and I find that when I do wear flip flops things like this happen:

IMG_0529.JPG

You’re welcome for that. Seriously though I don’t know the last time I wore actual shoes so suggestions are welcome. I am thinking along the lines of Sperry’s or these sweet Converse shoes because everything I own must be gray. Thoughts?

shoes

3. Check out last week’s aSweat Life article on my struggle with exercise as an addiction!

Exercise Addiction

4. I absolutely love the temperature of this city at night (right now). It is perfect for opening the windows and letting the breeze in. I went on an extra long walk last night and the air was incredible. It made me happy in my bones.  For anyone stalking my life, this is the temperature I like my nights.

IMG_1893.PNG

5. Blogging friends are the best. Aside from the unparalleled support of this community, there’s usually a little material incentive on the side.  Since we have a lot of opportunities for free stuff, there is always swapping and trading going on. It feels like every meeting is Christmas. (Thanks Suz!!)

IMG_1891.JPG

6. I still haven’t gotten too serious about my race training. Last weekend after I had my catharsis I wasn’t up to doing a long run. I’m glad I didn’t because I know myself and I know that it wouldn’t have been productive. There are times when I can push myself out the door knowing that whatever exercise I do will make me feel better afterwards, but this wasn’t one of those times. My body needed a rest. I did run around 4 miles on Monday, but all my other running has been confined to the daily workouts at Sweat. I’ll figure it out. I’m also hoping my legs get used to these shoes sooner than later.

IMG_1700.JPG

7. These dates. You may think “these dates” means they are awful and I threw them away (see #1), however in this case, “these dates” means oh man another delicious way for me to diversify my almond butter/date obsession. After I proclaimed my love, Amanda asked me yesterday if I had tried putting them in the freezer before eating them. I initially thought no, because my desire can not wait for said dates to reach the required temperature, but I did put some in the freezer last night and they were delicious!

amanda

IMG_1895.JPG

I hope you have a great Thursday!!

• Tell me something random!
  • Have you ever had dates from the freezer?
  • What kind of normal people shoes do you recommend?
Share:

April 2, 2015 / 12:58 pm

I always mean our dates.

1. danielle
    April 2, 2015 / 9:38 am

i love your article on exercise addiction, it’s right on. as a former addict i totally relate, everything can be friggin addictive. love those endorphins but knowing when to say when is the magical point. i remember when i was deep in recovery i took up endurance races and just got so into them that i basically replaced my past habits with new ones. i burned myself out, but luckily i met my husband that way and we both agreed after our wedding we woultdjust take a break and live a more balanced life. well, what we considered a balanced life may be crazy to others, but it’s much more peaceful in my mind. having good support is totally key, ya know?
    i have no idea what normal people shoes to recommend, i am constantly wondering the same thing 🙂

April 2, 2015 / 12:59 pm

Isn’t it crazy how you can replace one addiction with another? It creeps up on you too and before you know it everything is unmanageable! Props to you for recognizing it and working for more balance 🙂

2. April 2, 2015 / 9:43 am

OMG all that stuff! Looks like some delightful treats! I have never tried a frozen date, but I’ve frozen a date-based bar and it was really good. I have such a new love for dates, I don’t know why I avoided them before! I definitely am intrigued to try some with almond butter now! I would recommend shoes for you, but I am literally told all the time that I wear the most ridiculous shoes that will probably cripple me by age 45! Congrats on all the writing you’ve been getting done! 🙂
    Erin recently posted…Thinking Out Loud AgainMy Profile

April 2, 2015 / 12:59 pm

Thanks Erin! I am more intrigued with your fancy Scottish treats. Seriously, those Skittles.

3. April 2, 2015 / 10:56 am

I’ve lived in Chicago my entire life, and I struggle with shoes this time of year. In the winter, it’s easy – boots. Snow boots, leather riding boots, booties, etc. Done.

I have some Toms, which are comfortable, but don’t last long and frankly, I want something … sturdier. I’ve been eyeing these sneakers: http://www.samedelman.com/en-US/Product/EC0213996-3012144/Sam+Edelman/New+Nude+Leopard/Becker.aspx (or the Target knock-offs). And I have a pair of shoes really similar to this when I need something “nice” but want to be comfortable: http://www.naturalizer.com/en-US/Product/EC0217102-3013509/Naturalizer/Navy/Henrick.aspx

I’m over ballet flats and anything with a flimsy sole. I need support and cushion.
    Maggie recently posted…Divvy Tips, RevisitedMy Profile

April 2, 2015 / 1:01 pm

Yeah, I’ve realized I’m not the cute shoe kind of person. I love jeans and T shirts and that translates into sneakers for me. I have never had a pair of Toms, but those are also definitely all over the place. What fancy leopard shoes!

4. April 2, 2015 / 12:40 pm

Haha your feet! Oh my gosh!

I love my gray Keds and black Vans slip-ons. They’re going to be my go-to shoes this spring, I can already tell.

Dates from the freezer? Awesome idea!
    Lauren @ ihadabiglunch recently posted…So, that happened #100milemarchMy Profile

April 2, 2015 / 1:02 pm

Oh yeah those are good ideas too. SO MANY DECISIONS!

5. April 2, 2015 / 12:49 pm

I’m going to admit something right now and say that I don’t think I have ever tried a date. I guess I should probably do that huh?
    I don’t have any advice for you on the shoe thing because I am from Florida and would only wear flip-flops, but I am having the same struggle now after moving to Oregon. I just usually stay in my tennis shoes or I have a few pairs of TOMS I’ve been wearing!
    Lindsey @Fit Life Pursuits recently posted…Tried it: Arctic Zero Fit Frozen DessertsMy Profile

April 2, 2015 / 1:02 pm

You definitely should.

I forgot about Toms so maybe I will check those out too. Too many choices!

6. April 2, 2015 / 3:40 pm

Never had frozen dates, but I love them with cream cheese!!
    Kim recently posted…ChocomizeMy Profile

April 6, 2015 / 8:50 pm

Haha I love it! I got new gray shoes today you would be proud.

7. April 3, 2015 / 6:09 am

I eat dates and almond butter all the time – but holy guacamole I have never put them in the freezer before. Literally going do that now… And sit and wait patiently! Is it sad at how excited I am?! haha!
    Jen @ Chase the Red Grape recently posted…CrossFit – It all ended on a high!My Profile

April 6, 2015 / 8:50 pm

Not sad at all. How did you like them??