Running In Shorts + Trader Joe’s Finds

How was your weekend? The weather finally seems to be taking a turn for the better, so I was able to spend a lot of my weekend outside. Better yet, I was finally able to run outside in shorts. It was glorious.

Saturday Neil and I went on a epic adventure around the city, stopping at various spots to–you guessed it–eat all the things. Our first stop was a place called Wafel which served sandwiches on waffles. (Reminded me of Wicked Waffle back in MD).  They have the option of breakfast or lunch sandwiches and we opted for lunch with a turkey, tomato, avocado, and pesto mayo sandwich. We split a regular sized one so we could devour more food as we went along.

IMG_1908.JPG

IMG_1909.JPG

In finding a new donut place on Google Maps, we discovered an entire French Market hidden away in a train station. Granted, I probably could have discovered it by reading the signs that were outside, but it was like walking into a magical food land as showcased below:

IMG_1912.JPG

IMG_1913.JPG

IMG_1917.JPG

Alright, so I only took pictures of these magical chocolates and another hidden location of Raw, but there were so many different food selections from Vietnamese to Indian to French (obviously).

We headed north to eat second lunch near our final destination of Sweet Mandy B’s, a bakery recommended to us after I pleaded to the world to tell me where I can find a dense, fudgy brownie. I grabbed another turkey-themed sandwich at Floriole Cafe and Bakery. I loved the ambiance of this place and if it were closer I would be here all the time.

IMG_1921.JPG

IMG_1920.JPG

IMG_1919.JPG

After my sandwich we headed into Sweet Mandy B’s and I was frozen with indecision. So I got like 1/4 of the store. Neil can only tolerate a small amount of sweets, so he will have 1-2 bites and then I know the rest is up to me in addition to my selection(s). I will take one for the team.

IMG_1925.JPG

Saturday night I stopped into Trader Joe’s and grabbed a couple frozen things to include in various meals. This burger was actually pretty spicy so I approve.

IMG_1926.JPG

IMG_1927.JPG

IMG_1928.JPG

I also grabbed some flowers because once the weather gets nice and sunny I usually add flowers to my weekly shopping list. They make me happy. TREAT YO SELF. Note: Trader Joe’s may have the cheapest flowers I have ever seen. This may be another thing to lure me in.

IMG_1930.JPG

(follow me on Instagram!)

Sunday morning Neil and I met up with our friend Matt who will be moving from VA to Chicago in the next month or two. Score! We met at Wildberry at 7 am because any later and we would be waiting forever. That’s what happens when places are bangin and don’t take reservations.

IMG_1931.JPG

After breakfast I wasted 20 minutes trying to take a picture of myself showcasing my shorts that I got to wear because the weather was so nice. You’re welcome.

IMG_1983.JPG

IMG_1982.JPG

5.5 miles at an 8:40 pace. My shins/calves actually seem to be alright, so maybe I am getting used to my shoes after all.

IMG_1991.JPG

I made cashew milk and another Blue Apron dinner (short rib burgers with roasted sweet potatoes). They were amazing.

IMG_1995.JPG

After exciting Sunday laundry, Neil and I caught up on Brooklyn 99. It was a glorious weekend. For those of you who celebrated Easter, I hope you had a great one!!

• What did you do this weekend?
  • Is it warm where you are?
  • Do you treat yo self?
  • What else is good at Trader Joe’s? (I’m really trying to like it!)
Share:

April 6, 2015 / 8:53 pm

Oh my now I will have to make a return trip!

1. April 6, 2015 / 9:24 am

Thank goodness you’re giving TJ’s another shot. I love Sweet Mandy B’s! Their brownies are AMAZING!! And I love the French Market too. We should go bakery-hopping together one weekend day — if Neil’s not in the mood one day you can just shoot me a text haha
    Lauren @ ihadabiglunch recently posted…Back to regularly scheduled programmingMy Profile

April 6, 2015 / 8:53 pm

I love how concerned you are about my relationship with TJs. I am definitely down for bakery hopping…lets make this happen.

2. danielle
    April 6, 2015 / 9:39 am

you’re right, the flowers at TJ’s are amazingly well priced!!! i went through a plant/flower frenzy there before and walked out with a greenhouse worth of stuff. it’s manic.
    those vegetable burgers look awesome, my husband would love that since indian food is his favorite cuisine, so i basically put curry and masala in everything. i’m still figuring out what i like at TJ’s but right now i’m all about their bags of greens for $1.99. i buy several and freeze them, cuz i’m a veggie hoarder!

April 6, 2015 / 8:54 pm

They’re definitely tasty! Don’t worry about your veggie problem, there are worse things to hoard!

April 6, 2015 / 8:54 pm

Me too!

3. April 6, 2015 / 11:49 am

Mmm your food pics look awesome! I’ve been treating myself a little too much in the dessert department, lately. Oops. I got flowers from TJ’s for the first time last week, and am also surprised at how affordable they are! Woo! Happy Monday 🙂 xoxo
    Jess @hellotofit recently posted…Monday Motivation – your tremendous worthMy Profile

April 6, 2015 / 8:55 pm

I know, they were super cheap! Guess I will be back there more this season!

4. April 6, 2015 / 12:36 pm

Waffle sandwich?! What? I guess living in a small city has it’s disadvantages because they don’t have things like that here! A day of food hopping sounds so fun! You must try the sea salt dark chocolate almonds from Trader Joes. I have had other dark chocolate almonds before but these are the best!
    Lindsey @Fit Life Pursuits recently posted…An Oregon Life For MeMy Profile

April 6, 2015 / 8:56 pm

I will be on the lookout for that next time. Anything with chocolate in it gets my attention. You can always make your own waffle sandwich at home too, who needs a restaurant?

5. April 6, 2015 / 12:53 pm

So many treats! Wow! Glad you finally got to run in shorts — it’s been really warm in Glasgow the past couple of days too! One thing I love (or loved) at TJ’s (depending on whether or not they still sell it) is their “Guilt Free” Spinach & Kale Greek Yogurt Dip. It’s so addicting!
    Erin recently posted…Easter WeekendMy Profile

April 6, 2015 / 8:56 pm

Yay for warm weather! That dip sounds great too

6. April 6, 2015 / 6:27 pm

The TJ’s vodka sauce with their turkey meatballs is a good staple at our house (we aren’t Italian, so we don’t have homemade goodness to compare it too). I’m obsessed with their Garlic Chicken Sausages too. I eat them with the frozen brown rice or saute them with a veggie, add noodles and a little EVOO and garlic. I’m obsessed with that place, I could go on and on about my faves from there. And yes, our bi-weekly flour come-ups come from there! They were a condition upon moving in together with the BF! xoxo, ganeeban
    ganeeban recently posted…Rose & Thorn [44]My Profile

April 6, 2015 / 8:56 pm

I saw those sausages but I don’t like sausage in general. If it tastes like chicken then I’ll buy them all. Let me know!

7. April 6, 2015 / 7:21 pm

I also love Trader Joe’s flowers! They always seem so fresh (and pretty… and inexpensive!). Aldi also sometimes has good flowers but it’s hit or miss with what they carry.

P.S. I nominated you for a Liebster Award today on my blog!
    Sam @ Grapefruit & Granola recently posted…Weekend Randoms & Liebster AwardMy Profile

April 6, 2015 / 8:57 pm

Thanks! I will check it out!!

8. April 6, 2015 / 10:12 pm

My office is near the French Market, I love going there for lunch! I just tried Raw for the first time a week or so ago, it was tasty.
    Maggie recently posted…Recipe: Banana Bread MuffinsMy Profile

April 9, 2015 / 12:37 pm

Raw is definitely good but also expensive. I feel like I can make some of that at home!

9. April 7, 2015 / 2:45 pm

Sounds like you had an AWESOME weekend!! All that food looks amazing!! Also, I’m so happy that the warm weather finally made its way up to you. I dont know how you guys do it in the winter. Brrrr!
    Stephanie @ My Freckled Life recently posted…April GoalsMy Profile

April 9, 2015 / 12:40 pm

The weekend weather was great but the past two days have been cold and rainy. So lame. At least my car got a washing?