April Income Report

In the spirit of the sincerity that I spoke about last week, I decided that I would follow the lead of other bloggers and start sharing monthly income reports. I do not plan to make excuses or justifications as to why it’s not a lot of money even though my mind tells me I have to in order to preempt the thoughts that some readers may have (silly brain). This is simply a journey to see if I can make something more from this blog.

I decided in the beginning of April that I wanted more for myself and that involved putting more time and effort into Erin’s Inside Job. I truly love the connections I have made and the feedback I get from all of you wonderful people. While a big goal of mine is to help others, I have also realized that this blog is essential to my sanity and is a tremendously effective tool for me to brainstorm, process, and solidify ideas or issues that I have been struggling with.  It is really because of YOU though that I keep coming back and continue to push myself to improve.

Ok, so enough of the sappy stuff (there’s more of that tomorrow). It’s time for my April income report.

April Income Report

I have learned the most about how bloggers make money from these types of reports. I have learned the importance of having multiple revenue streams and different types of ad networks.  Most of all, I have learned that it can be done. These reports have given me hope and encouragement and those are some of my favorite things.

I plan to break these reports down into income, what I did during the month, and what my plans are going forward. I think that it will be a great way to reflect and also a good accountability tool in going forward. It’s great that I have so many ideas, but if I don’t break them down and plan on putting them into action then I will just end up with a mess in my head.

Income

• Freelance Writing: $200
  • Sovrn: $13.34
  • Google Adsense: $4.84
  • Amazon Associates: $3.32
  • Shareaholic: $1.64
  • Total: $223.14

I am not including revenue from my coaching at Sweat, although if I really wanted to stretch it I could say that it was this blog that got me that job.  As you can see, most of my income this month came from freelance writing.

Also note that many of these networks have a monetary threshold to reach before paying out, so I don’t even physically have all of this money yet. Many affiliate networks are also delayed in their payments, so even though these numbers reflect actual earnings for April, I won’t see some of it until later months. I don’t see many income reports point this out and it’s something that I thought was important to emphasize.

What I did differently this month

I experimented with a new ad network, sovrn. Before, I was only using Google Adsense and I wanted to see if sovrn was more successful. Looking at the numbers from March, sovrn was more successful, but only by about $1. In sovrn I am able to use passback tags which means that if sovrn does not have an ad at any time, they will fill in the space with an Adsense ad so that there is never a blank spot on the page.  By having both networks, I was able to make $18.18 from advertising.

I signed up with CoSchedule (affiliate) after trying their free 14-day trial. You can read the review here. I have been able to plan out my posts and social media all in one place and it has kept me from scrambling for a post topic at the last minute.  When sharing on social media through CoSchedule, I have also been adding pictures to some of my posts. This helps attract the attention of my followers and increase their engagement.

Speaking of pictures, I took more time to create high quality, pinnable images.  This led to more repins of recipes, workouts, and advice posts. I started spending more time on Pinterest in general and made sure to pin content from others and not just my own.

I realized I was putting the wrong Amazon link in my posts which meant that when you clicked on them you would get a 404 Error. Smooth. I went back and updated old posts and actually clicked on my links when I previewed the post to make sure they were working. This may be common knowledge to some of you, but I found out that if someone clicks on your affiliate link but then goes on and orders other things, you also get a percentage of those purchases (thanks to whoever ordered those socks!).

I created a recommendations and press/publications page.

Plans for May

• Work more on growing affiliate programs
  • Experiment with floor prices in sovrn and different ad placements
  • Branch out and look for other freelance opportunities
  • Concentrate more on building an email list (?) (still on the fence about this one)
  • Continue to increase traffic and grow followers by publishing quality content

If you can think of anything that you would like to see (or not) on Erin’s Inside Job or topics that you want me to cover, please let me know in the comments section! If you want me to go into more detail about any of the ways I am using to monetize, just ask.  I have been excited to start writing these and I’m sure in my excitement I have forgotten something.  As always, it is your feedback that helps me know what direction to go to make sure that you are getting the most out of your time here!

Also, if you enjoy reading income reports as much as I do, make sure to check out some of my favorites:

1. Pinch Of Yum
  2. BYREGINA
  3. Making Sense of Cents

No questions today, just let me know what things you would like to see more of! (I guess that could be rephrased as a question but let’s just go with it).

1. May 6, 2015 / 8:14 am

We should really sit down and talk about this. You’re such a businesswoman! haha. I don’t think about this stuff enough. You’re smart! Nice job on the freelance writing. Is that from RedEye and HuffPo?
    Lauren @ ihadabiglunch recently posted…Leave Your Ego BehindMy Profile

May 6, 2015 / 11:54 am

It’s actually from some writing I do for a couple websites. Huffington Post doesn’t pay monetarily but they pay in exposure.

2. May 6, 2015 / 8:25 am

Thank you for sharing this, Erin. It’s fantastic that you’re seeing progress and getting some automatic insight/feedback from what you’re doing. It really is a process all the way through. I’d love to make some money at some point for all the work I put in too, that would be nice. Thanks for sharing some of the things you’ve realized too, it makes us all think. I’m with you on Pinterest. I’ve committed this month to figuring out how to grow mine. It is prettyyyyy sad at the moment. LOL

I love your content, and I love your sincerity — it’s helpful to so many!
    Erin recently posted…Literally Beets Per Minute #WIAWMy Profile

May 6, 2015 / 11:54 am

You’re welcome! Yeah, I am slowly working on this Pinterest thing and I’m seeing some increase in traffic from it so it looks like I’ll stick with it!

May 6, 2015 / 11:56 am

A lot of research and pitching. I need to pick my game up a bit on that this month I think. I am thinking about doing a more comprehensive post about it in the near future 🙂

• May 6, 2015 / 11:30 pm

Okay, sweet. I’d love to learn more about it. I feel like such a donkey with all this blog stuff. I NEED HELP. And a hug.
        Suzy recently posted…Dear Brain, From VaginaMy Profile

May 7, 2015 / 9:59 am

Haha. Ok that can be arranged. More help coming up!

May 6, 2015 / 11:56 am

I know, right??

May 7, 2015 / 9:55 am

Thanks Jen!

May 7, 2015 / 9:55 am

Of course! We need more real life meetings anyways!

3. May 6, 2015 / 2:17 pm

I like when bloggers share this info too! I’ve been wanting to get into freelance writing and joined a few FB groups and email lists on the subject but still not sure how to really go about getting that first article published! I’d love if you’d share more info about that! Thanks 🙂
    Jill recently posted…How Did I Not Know About This, and Other RandomnessMy Profile

May 7, 2015 / 9:56 am

It’s on my list! I’m working on compiling a bunch of resources so hopefully that will help!

4. May 6, 2015 / 5:34 pm

I think it’s awesome that you’re doing this, girl! I know that reading the reports from other blogs has helped me a tonne in my own as well, and it’s also super helpful to keep track of it for your own records to see what you were doing and what worked or hasn’t worked. My goal for this month is to work on my social media game a bit more as well. I seriously don’t put enough attention into that realm…
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. WIAW… what you see vs. reality .My Profile

May 7, 2015 / 9:57 am

Thank you!

I’m working on stepping this Pinterest game up! One more social media? Why not??

5. Julie
    May 6, 2015 / 7:25 pm

This is so cool. I found your blog a little bit ago and LOVE your honesty!! I relate SO much. I want to start a blog and this makes me excited. I feel like I see the bigger blogs and think “should I even try”. Silly thought, right?? Thank you for this :). I will continue to follow and any advice would be welcome!!

May 7, 2015 / 9:58 am

Thanks Julie!

You should DEFINITELY try! Everyone has their own unique view and message that will resonate with someone. You may be the voice that that person needs!

May 7, 2015 / 9:59 am

Thanks! Yes, it’s been interesting to play around with it. This month I am working on setting different floor prices for ads and I will let you guys know how it works out when the month is up!

6. May 7, 2015 / 9:53 am

Hi Erin,

I’m new to your blog but really enjoying it so far. I love your honesty. I’m always inspired by blogger income reports so I think it’s cool that you’ve started doing them. I’ve thought about it too but still on the fence. 😉
    Mindi@BYDB recently posted…Four Things SurveyMy Profile

May 7, 2015 / 10:12 am

Thanks Mindi!

It took me awhile to feel comfortable publishing it, so it’s up to you whether you want to or not. Then I sat back and realized that I got the most help from reading other reports and just went with it!

7. May 7, 2015 / 3:57 pm

Hi Erin! Have you tried applying to Glam or BlogHer for an ad network as well? I’ve been using BlogHer for a while and it generates a decent amount of money each month. As far as Sovrn — I’ve seen it before and am not currently using it. Good to know you’re enjoying it. I love that you’re working on growing your blog and business! AWESOME JOB! I wrote something last week that may interest you on this topic as well: http://aladygoeswest.com/2015/04/28/how-i-turned-my-blog-into-a-business/ Happy Thursday! 🙂
    Ashley @ A Lady Goes West recently posted…Les Mills BODYATTACK 88 class reviewMy Profile

May 11, 2015 / 11:25 am

I did apply to BlogHer awhile ago but wasn’t accepted. I’m not too broken up about it honestly since they have such strict guidelines. I may apply again in the future but right now I am exploring all these other things. I did see your post from the other day and it was very helpful!

June 9, 2015 / 9:17 am

I have a post planned soon for that!