Billy Was Here! (or The Weekend We Ate All The Food)

This weekend was pretty epic. As you know, my brother Billy flew in from Washington state to run the Chicago Spring Half Marathon with me. Stay tuned tomorrow for a recap! The good news is that I am alive, which was definitely a concern when I left you guys on Friday.

Saturday

My brother took a redeye from Washington and landed here in Chicago at 6 am. By the time he got to our place, it was time for me to go teach at Sweat, so of course he joined in on very little sleep. We must be related or something.

IMG_2483.JPG

Following some high-intensity action, we headed over to Old Town to pick up our race packets. We also headed to Plum Market for some fresh juice and some sushi-grade tuna that Neil deemed essential.

IMG_2475.JPG

After picking up our race packets we headed to Kanela Breakfast Club for brunch. I dubbed Saturday “carb day” and got the lemon blueberry pancakes.

IMG_2478.JPG

They were delicious, but why do they always give you so many? Who can eat that many pancakes??

IMG_2479.JPG

We wandered around the city and had plans to see Mad Max, but when we discovered there were only 5 seats open in the theater we tabled that idea for another day. We drowned our sorrows in copious amounts of fresh pasta at Eataly.

When Neil made this suggestion earlier in the day, Billy kept asking if they had squid ink pasta. I had no idea what this was and obviously made fun of him, but lo and behold:

IMG_2488.JPG

IMG_2489.JPG

I decided to make some pesto as a pasta option and proceeded to buy all of their basil. You can tell by the lonely basket in the middle.

IMG_2490.JPG

Our entire feast consisted of: 4 types of pasta, clams, rib-eye steak, and ground beef.

IMG_2492.JPG

IMG_2497.JPG

PESTO.

IMG_2512.JPG

Neil grilled up the rib-eye as an appetizer and we ate it while prepping the pastas.

IMG_2493.JPG

Our first pasta round consisted of basic pasta and sauce. I forgot how amazing fresh pasta is and it was ready in 4 minutes!

Eataly recommended pairing the squid ink pasta with olive oil and shellfish, so Billy steamed some clams in butter, garlic, and crushed red pepper. Bonus: I now know how to steam clams. Double bonus: this picture.

IMG_2502.JPG

IMG_2506.JPG

IMG_2511.JPG

We had intended a feast of epic proportions, but after the squid ink we couldn’t eat any more. So now we have 3 knots of pasta, ground beef, and pesto left over. Is anyone hungry?

Sunday

This is a super short Sunday recap because we ran the race (and survived!), then went home and barely moved from the couch for the rest of the day. Billy’s flight leaves at 6 am this morning and I teach at 6 am, so we kept things low key watching movies and playing Mario Kart.

IMG_2543.JPG

Oh, we also ate this. It was glorious.

IMG_2544.JPG

I hope you all had a great weekend! Check back tomorrow for more details about the race and to see who won the Blue Apron giveaways!

• What do you eat before a race?
  • What’s the best thing you did this weekend?
  • Do you eat sweet or savory at brunch?

Linking up with Erin for Weekend Snapshots!

May 18, 2015 / 1:40 pm

Haha I sent this to him and he was sad that now it’s too late. But yes, it’s definitely an incentive for his return.

1. May 18, 2015 / 7:29 am

My biggest brunch conundrum is that I want both sweet and savory. I usually try to convince someone at the table to get a pancake so I can have a bite and satisfy all my needs. Congratulations on the race! And one last thing, you and your bro could pass for twins.
    Pragati // Simple Medicine recently posted…Secret Tomato SauceMy Profile

May 18, 2015 / 1:41 pm

I know, I always am torn between the two. I usually eat some of Neil’s pancakes if I end up getting eggs. I just want it all!

May 18, 2015 / 1:41 pm

I totally agree. I never know what to do!

2. May 18, 2015 / 8:23 am

Fresh pasta RULES! Squid ink may be the coolest/strangest pasta I’ve ever seen! It looks really cool! I actually haven’t had real pasta in 10 weeks, and it’s long overdue! Congrats on surviving your race — you came through no problem! You and your brother are adorable, it’s nice you have such a great bond! I miss my family! 🙁
    Erin recently posted…5 Items For An Awesome MondayMy Profile

May 18, 2015 / 1:42 pm

I hadn’t seen him in months and months (maybe a year?) so it was definitely good to see him! That pasta is definitely good and I still have 3 of them left if you want to come get some

May 18, 2015 / 1:43 pm

I am in a cheese coma after that pizza but it is so good.

May 18, 2015 / 1:43 pm

Thanks girl! It’s no marathon, but I’ll take it. Congrats to you too!

May 18, 2015 / 1:44 pm

I can just never decide! I think I’m the opposite. I usually have eggs and then want to eat all the waffles or pancakes when we go out. MMM.

3. May 18, 2015 / 10:49 am

Oh, looks like so much fun! I’ve always wanted a brother. I eat oatmeal before every race, and if I ever have brunch, it’s always sweet. Pancakes, waffles or fruit crepes.
    Suzy recently posted…Mileage MondayMy Profile

May 18, 2015 / 1:44 pm

I think 80% of the time mine is sweet, but sometimes I just stick to eggs like I eat at home. So adventurous.

4. May 18, 2015 / 12:20 pm

You guys look so much alike! I’m glad you survived your race and had a good time with your bro! I am so jealous of the fresh pasta! My husband has me doing a low-carb “diet” with him right now and I am failing miserably. I love pasta!
    Lindsey recently posted…My Oregon Adventures (So Far)My Profile

May 18, 2015 / 1:45 pm

I was going to say come get some of my leftover pasta I haven’t made yet but then I read the last sentence. Rough! Good luck though!

May 18, 2015 / 6:10 pm

Congratulations! I could eat 231646874 Olive garden breadsticks.

5. May 18, 2015 / 6:08 pm

I love squid ink pasta!! And it looks like your eyes were bigger than your stomachs on Saturday night ha. Everything looked so good though. And I absolutely love Kanela. Did you get the breakfast roll to start?
    Sara @ Lake Shore Runner recently posted…Weekend of RandomnessMy Profile

May 18, 2015 / 6:10 pm

WHAT BREAKFAST ROLL?? Oh no now I have to go back.

May 18, 2015 / 8:57 pm

Deep dish!!

6. Clara
    May 19, 2015 / 3:09 am

Oh wow you can’t deny he’s your brother. 😀 You guys look sooo similar (same for me and my brothers.) Sounds like a great weekend. 🙂

7. May 19, 2015 / 7:50 am

First of all, I was planning on commenting all about the race and congratulating you — but now I HAVE to just comment on that beautiful food! You guys are professionals!! That looks INCREDIBLE!
    Lauren @ ihadabiglunch recently posted…Grocery Haul: It’s Spring, YoMy Profile

May 20, 2015 / 11:23 am

Sometimes Neil goes crazy with feasts and then buys all the food. I usually remember to calm him down, but this time I just went with it!

8. Katie L
    May 19, 2015 / 8:25 pm

Umm all that food looks AMAZING! What a fun weekend with your bro!

May 20, 2015 / 11:29 am

There was definitely a lot of food!!