Five Things Friday #44

Please note there are some affiliate links in this post. If you decide to purchase a product I recommend, the cost is still the same to you but I will receive a small commission to help keep this site up and running. Thanks for your support!!

You guys, something unprecedented has happened in this week’s Five Things Friday. There’s NO FOOD! Maybe it’s because I talked about cookie chips and cactus in in yesterday’s post, but I had no more food pictures in my phone from this week. Maybe I’m not eating enough. Actually, I’m probably eating too fast and not taking pictures.

Alright, let’s get to it.

1. Ocean Driftwood Candle by Bath & Body Works

The closest B&BW to me is actually not that close at all and even though it’s kind of near work, it’s really inconvenient to get to. This is probably a good thing since I have a candle buying problem, but I found this one in the linen closet the other day. It smells similar to some of their other ones that remind me of men’s cologne, but I have no problem with that. Are there any new candle scents out that I need to buy? It’s been so long since I’ve been there! IMG_2462.JPG

2. What You Can When You Can: Healthy Living On Your Terms

I know Roni from Fitbloggin and I know Carla from reading her blog all the time. These two awesome ladies teamed up to write a book detailing their life philosophy of “what you can when you can” (#wycwyc) that I first heard about last year in Savannah.  It’s really cool to see something go from an idea to a published book and I wish them both lots of success!

WYCWYC is basically an ideology and a way to look at/live life. It’s about doing what you can, when you can and not beating yourself up if you missed that workout, ate a dessert, or anything else that you think could derail you from a healthy lifestyle. It’s about accepting what is and picking back up where you left off. It’s a quick read and definitely good for those of us who have a hard time with self-compassion.

IMG_2563.JPG

3. Hardpressed

I had tried out a free session at Hardpressed a few months ago while I was still interning at Sweat. I loved it, but wasn’t officially working and the cost was really prohibitive. I have been waiting to save up some money so that I could sign up again, and a couple weeks ago I got an email with a promotion for first time clients. It was way too good to pass up, so I signed up for 10 sessions and have been going a couple times a week.

Hardpressed is a high-intensity interval workout but with LOTS OF WEIGHTS. The whole space is weight machines and in 30 minutes a trainer takes you through a series of strength exercises that challenge every part of you. This workout is no joke. The first time I had to wait for 15 minutes in the locker room to be sure that I wouldn’t pass out. Thankfully that hasn’t happened since, but I’ve also been eating a bigger breakfast.

For a funny and accurate description of a session at Hardpressed, check out this post by fellow aSweat Life writer Cass. I read it again last night and cracked up.

IMG_2550.JPG

4. Sheex sheets

When Billy was visiting, Neil and I realized that we didn’t have any extra sheets (?!).  We must have given them all back to his parents when we moved, but I have no idea why we would have done that. Anyway, we made a quick trip to Bed Bath and Beyond to get some and also to replace the ones on our bed since we have been talking about it for awhile.

We settled on some from the company Sheex. They are meant to keep you cool since they are made from a breathable, moisture-wicking material.  We’ve had them a week and I am loving them. They are soft, smooth, and prevent me from overheating as I am known to do. I would definitely recommend these if you are in the market for some high-quality sheets.

sheex

(source)

5. Food Blogger Pro

I have talked before about the income reports by Pinch of Yum. I have found some of the most helpful information in those reports on how to grow and monetize your blog.

Another great service that Punch of Yum offers is Food Blogger Pro, a membership service that gives you access to a HUGE community forum with topics ranging from getting started with a blog to creating and publishing an ebook.  There is also a large collection of how-to videos to browse.  Pinch of Yum is a food blog, so many of their videos revolve around that subject, but you can also find plenty of information on the business of blogging as well.  Videos include building traffic, food photography, photo editing, generating income, etc.

I decided to sign up because I have already learned so much from only the income reports and I figured that there was even more behind the curtain. I was right! I hesitated since I don’t technically have a food blog, but I do post a lot about food and already after watching the food photography courses I know that my recipe posts are sure to improve!  There is plenty of information on there for any type of blog and I’m looking forward to delving in in more detail.

Learn how to start and grow your food blog with Food Blogger Pro.

The weather is supposed to be nice (at least on Saturday) this weekend, so hopefully I will have some adventures to share with you on Monday. Have a great one!

• What’s your favorite type of candle?
  • Do you use different sheets in different seasons?
  • Do you want to come to Hardpressed with me and make sure I don’t die?

Linking up with Heather and Katie!

May 24, 2015 / 7:03 am

You’re probably right about that. Yes I may need someone there to carry me home.

1. May 22, 2015 / 7:43 am

Since the only season we really have in Florida is hot (or hotter), I stick to cotton sheets. Lately though they haven’t been staying very cool. I’m going to check out the sheets you mentioned.
    Pragati // Simple Medicine recently posted…6 Things I Learned as a ChaperoneMy Profile

May 24, 2015 / 7:03 am

They’re pretty light and cool. Let me know if you try them out!

2. May 22, 2015 / 8:16 am

Ooh, now you have my interest piqued about Food Blogger Pro. I’ve thought about signing up but really honestly haven’t had time to go through any sort of extra training. (Right now all of my extra time is going toward an ecourse on building my mailing list.) Glad to hear it’s worth it! I have the Tasty Food Photography eBook that Lindsay published that I still need to work through. Maybe after that I’ll take the Food Blogger Pro jump. And start making more recipes… 😉 Have a great weekend, Erin!
    Beth @ Running with the Sunrise recently posted…Five Friday Faves #34My Profile

May 24, 2015 / 7:04 am

How’s that book? Amazing I’m sure. I don’t have actual recipes on my blog all that often, but I’m sure I will learn things from their food-centric videos. I really wanted it for all the business and behind the scenes info!

May 24, 2015 / 7:05 am

Nice! Let me know how you like it! I’m excited to get more involved in FBP and plan to go through more of it this week 🙂

3. May 22, 2015 / 9:08 am

All I know is that I never ever use flannel sheets or I sweat like a linebacker. Satin sheets are too fragile for this tomboy, and fleece sheets? I may as well wrap myself in saran wrap and sit in the oven. I love plain cotton sheets, freshly washed with Downy fabric softener. Mmm…. ahhhh…. bliss.
    Suzy recently posted…Blended Family Friday: Divorce PartiesMy Profile

May 24, 2015 / 7:06 am

Oh yeah flannel sheets are intense. I used to have them as a kid though. These sheets sound perfect for you though. They’re tough but soft and smooth. I do love me some freshly washed sheets…

4. Carla
    May 22, 2015 / 9:36 am

So much love and gratitude for the shout out. But more than that I’m so grateful at how you’ve captured it conveyed it and the fact you get it!
    Life is too damn short not to be compassionate toward ourselves 🙂

May 24, 2015 / 7:06 am

Anytime! Much love back!

5. Melanie
    May 22, 2015 / 10:49 am

Funny you should mention candles – I just received an order from Bath & Body Works yesterday. Just so you know, that “candle thing” is definitely inherited! 🙂 Two more scents you might like – 1) Black Sands, and 2) Bow Ties & Bourbon. I thought of you when I smelled the latter since I know you like men’s cologne scents. Enjoy!

Hmm, I seem to remember some Little Mermaid sheets years ago…

May 24, 2015 / 7:07 am

Sweet I will have to check them out! I’m trying to use some up before I fill our closet with 516578741 more 🙂

Little Mermaid sheets are the best sheets.

6. May 22, 2015 / 1:10 pm

I am a Yankee candle snob but I hate how expensive they are! I try to load up on some good scents at TJ Maxx when I go! I have never tried a Bath & Body Works candle though so maybe they are cheaper!
    Lindsey recently posted…Fitness on Demand 30-Day Summer ChallengeMy Profile

May 24, 2015 / 7:07 am

Oh they’re the best! You need to check them out!

7. May 22, 2015 / 3:19 pm

I love B&BW candles! Whenever I have one I try to burn through it slowly to make it last longer. I love how relaxing it makes the whole room feel!
    Brie @ Lean, Clean, & Brie recently posted…{Friday Favorites} 5/22My Profile

May 24, 2015 / 7:08 am

I totally agree. They’re the best candles 🙂

8. May 22, 2015 / 10:27 pm

I really want to get the WYCWYC book! I love Carla! And I hope you enjoy and learn a lot from the Food Blogger Pro class. I feel like as soon as I learn something about blogging there’s ten more things to learn! It can be overwhelming but is also a lot of fun!
    Erin @ Her Heartland Soul recently posted…Saturday SharesMy Profile

May 24, 2015 / 7:08 am

So far so good on the class. There’s a lot of information and I’m trying to find time to go through it all haha

9. May 24, 2015 / 1:27 pm

Oo I bet that candle smells so good! I’ve recently gotten into candles from Voluspa 🙂

June 1, 2015 / 11:34 am

That name sounds magical I will have to check them out!

10. Carla
    June 19, 2015 / 8:45 am

Thank you so much for making space for us in your five things Friday.
    And for joining us in the whole #wycwyc movement.
    xoxo