Five Things Friday #45

Please note there are some affiliate links in this post. If you decide to purchase a product I recommend, the cost is still the same to you but I will receive a small commission to help keep this site up and running. Thanks for your support!!

Well, today’s the day. My NASM personal training exam is at 10 am CST, so depending on when you are reading this I am either scrambling to make sure I know everything, seated in front of a computer clicking boxes, or rewarding myself with an amazing lunch (we are going to think positive here). I think I should be fine, but the fact that I haven’t taken a test in 5 years (!) has left me feeling a little scattered.

To lighten things up, let’s check out my Five Things Friday!

1. The weather

Ok, this is both bad and good. Our AC has been broken since the weekend which has made sleeping a bit of an annoyance (good thing we got those Sheex!).  The good news is that the weather has been beautiful outside. Since I already knew I was going to sweat inside with no AC, yesterday I took my studying outdoors so that I could sun myself at the same time. It started out like this:

IMG_2648.JPG

Then I realized that going to Hardpressed immediately before lying in the hot sun was maybe not the brightest idea and what was meant to be an epic study session ended up looking more like this:

IMG_2659.JPG

2.  I Thought It Was Me (But It Isn’t) by Brene Brown

Oh look, another Brene Brown book. I can’t get enough. These have been so helpful in recent weeks and I especially love the section on empathy. For as much as it is talked about in recovery, I think this book does the best job of explaining exactly what it entails, who is capable and not capable of practicing it, and when it should be used. This one might be my favorite out of all the ones I have read.

IMG_2672.JPG

3. This Link

Nikon recently revealed a campaign where they equipped a dog named Grizzler with a heart rate monitor and a camera. As Grizzler went throughout his day, every time that his heart rate was elevated, the camera would take a picture. The results are adorable. The video explains the process, but is a little cheesy. I’d suggest this link instead.

4. Drybar Detox Dry Shampoo

I used to use dry shampoo a lot, but then I ran out and was too lazy to buy more. I ended up using baby powder in cases where I really needed it to look like I actually cleaned myself. My hair is really fine, so I can’t let it go too long without washing it. A friend of mine recommended this dry shampoo to me and it is magical! I didn’t have the same problem that I did with other dry shampoos which was that my hair still felt weird and crusty after applying it.  It also smells great!

IMG_2673.JPG

5. Cream Cheese & Lox Bagels

Here we are with some food. I know you all were worried about its disappearance last week and near-miss this time. When I went to the pre-opening of Goddess and Grocer I was able to sample their breakfast sandwiches.  One of those was a lox and cream cheese bagel with red onion, tomato, and cucumber. I forgot how delicious lox is and I have been thinking about one ever since. I had a two hour gap on Monday when I taught at Sweat, so I headed down a block and picked one up. They will customize your amount of cream cheese as well so I opted for a light amount. Now I’m hungry again.

IMG_2633.JPG

I hope you all have a great weekend and I’ll let you know about my test on Monday!!

• When was the last time you took a test?
  • Do you like lox?
  • What book are you reading right now?

Linking up with Heather and Katie!

1. May 29, 2015 / 7:47 am

I’m sure you’ll do fine!! It’s a tough exam, but if you’ve studied and been applying the knowledge in real life – it will all come to you! I literally cried in my car before I went in to take my exam saying “I’m not ready”, and I finished in 25 minutes with a “pass” result! I have to take another exam in two weeks, so I feel ya on just wanting it over!

Thanks for the dry shampoo tip. I use it because have fine, blonde hair (which looks dirty by 5 pm without a workout) and I definitely need to find something that works better than the crap I’ve been using!
    Erin recently posted…10 Things You Couldn’t Care Less About Me DoingMy Profile

June 1, 2015 / 12:15 pm

It’s pretty great. When I don’t have it up in a weird rat’s nest I usually end up using it. Thanks for the pep talk too…I read that before I left and it made me feel better!

2. May 29, 2015 / 8:14 am

Good luck!!! I hope your test goes well. Today I have to film a video of me teaching a barre class to be evaluated, so it’s kind of like a test. Trying not to freak out too much. 🙂 Let us know how the test goes and enjoy relaxing when you’re done!
    Beth @ Running with the Sunrise recently posted…Five Friday Faves #35My Profile

June 1, 2015 / 12:15 pm

I hope your video went well!!

3. May 29, 2015 / 9:18 am

The last time I took a test was about 9 months before Callum was born. 😛 I really need to read some Brene Brown books. As soon as my life settles down a bit (HA!!!) I will get on that.
    Suzy recently posted…Blended Family Friday: The HeatMy Profile

June 1, 2015 / 12:16 pm

They’re pretty great, I’m not going to lie.

4. May 29, 2015 / 9:28 am

Good luck on your BIG test! I find that studying in the sun yields the same result for me. It ends up being such a great time for a snooze!
    Pragati // Simple Medicine recently posted…Life UpdateMy Profile

June 1, 2015 / 12:16 pm

I always end up falling asleep in the sun for some reason and then being really disoriented when I wake up

5. May 29, 2015 / 9:41 am

Oh wow good luck on your exam!!! I’m sure you will do great and I feel celebrations are in your future:)
    I actually have my real estate exam this afternoon also and have been quite anxious. Like you I have taken a test since 2007. Yikes! I hope we both celebrate!
    Danielle recently posted…JERF Ok?My Profile

June 1, 2015 / 12:17 pm

Congrats on passing!! It feels weird to be commenting on a past post when I know what happened, so let’s just pretend I don’t know. Good luck and you’ll do great!!

6. May 29, 2015 / 9:57 am

eeeekkk! I hope the test went well!! Fingers crossed for you. 🙂 And I just recently tried dry shampoo for the first time and I am in LOVE. It is the best stuff ever! Thanks for linking up and have an awesome weekend!

7. May 29, 2015 / 10:01 am

Sending good boogie your way for the exam! Thanks for the recommendation on the book, I just reserved it from the library. I loved Daring Greatly, I’m looking forward to this one. Have a wonderful weekend!
    Keli recently posted…Stinkin’-Thinkin’My Profile

June 1, 2015 / 12:18 pm

Let me know how you like it!

8. May 29, 2015 / 11:52 am

You’re going to do great regardless of the pool nap! Haha love it! OMG I don’t think I’ve taken a test in over 5 years since I took my Audiology licensing exam. I’m a nervous tester!
    Since you asked about the book I’m reading now…I am going to put in a plug for my husband’s new book “Hope in Every Raindrop” that was published on Tuesday! Woohoo! If you like fiction romance type books, definitely check it out. It’s on Amazon 🙂
    Lindsey recently posted…Getting Published is a Workout (But Worth It)My Profile

June 1, 2015 / 12:18 pm

I’m super excited that he has a book out! That’s always been one of my dreams so one day…

June 1, 2015 / 12:18 pm

Thanks Jen!

9. May 30, 2015 / 9:00 pm

Good luck on your test!
    I took a big professional exam in March and I won’t find out until July if I passed…ugh! I just finished ‘Where They Found Her’ and started ‘Sisterand’. Both GREAT books!
    Luv What You Do recently posted…What Do May Flowers Bring?My Profile

10. May 31, 2015 / 5:45 am

I’m so so jealous you’ve already taken the exam. I love reading about this stuff but I want the test to be over. Any tips? Still freaking out a little about remembering everything.

Love love Brene Brown! Wait, have we already chatted about this? It sounds familiar 🙂

Oh and I’m sure congrats are in order for passing!
    jill conyers recently posted…Fitness Health and HappinessMy Profile

June 1, 2015 / 12:19 pm

I’ll definitely have a recap post up this week about it. Don’t worry, I’m sure you will do just fine. For reals.

June 1, 2015 / 12:20 pm

They’re so good! I may even go buy some lox and just eat it. Thanks for reading Taylor!

June 3, 2015 / 8:55 am

I need your photo tips! My only camera is my iphone haha

June 3, 2015 / 8:57 am

I know right?! Yours looks pretty delicious

June 29, 2015 / 3:38 pm

I know. This just reminded me that I have more in the fridge! You’re a life saver!