Green City Market and Food!

So I was productive half of this weekend. I am pretty proud of myself given that both days were pretty dreary and there was so much fog that half the city disappeared.

Like I mentioned on Friday, we wanted to get up to the Green City Market since last Saturday marked the first day of their outdoor season.  Even though it was in the 50s and misting, we still woke up early and headed to Lincoln Park.

IMG_2404.JPG

We wanted some breakfast at the market and settled on crepes. There are a lot of different food options to choose from, so I’m sure we will sample them all as the season continues.

IMG_2395.JPG

I chose their veggie pesto scramble because, pesto.

IMG_2397.JPG

IMG_2399.JPG

Here I am cheesing it up by a sign.

IMG_2414.JPG

And very pleased because a small child decided he would play by running back and forth underneath it.

IMG_2413.JPG

There were some gorgeous flowers, but I didn’t want to pick any up since we had plans to stay out and also because I only like to buy flowers when it’s warmer than 50 degrees.

IMG_2415.JPG

After the market we grabbed some espresso at Intelligentsia like fancy people.

IMG_2419.JPG

(Instagram!)

Then we made plans to see The Avengers with our friend Matt who also recently relocated from VA to Chicago. Yay friends!  Before we got to the theater, we ducked into Dylan’s Candy Bar to see if we needed to stock up on anything. When I saw that their Milk Duds box was about half the size of a movie one I left it there.

IMG_2423.JPG

Movie theater selfie. SURPRISE MATT. Also, I finished a whole box of Milk Duds before the previews.  That is the only time I eat them and they remind me of my childhood 🙂

IMG_2424.JPG

After the movie we headed over to Blaze since we haven’t been there in FOREVER and we needed to introduce Matt to the most wonderful Chipotle-of-pizza ever made.

IMG_2425.JPG

Sunday was pretty unproductive. I did laundry, ran, and made dinner.  I managed to get 6 miles in which makes me feel a little better about my half this weekend. I plan to run one more time somewhere between 8-10 miles and then I won’t freak out about it as much. I also iced my shins as a precaution since they were causing me so much trouble before. Now I know why I have all this fruit in the freezer.

IMG_2427.JPG

Neil and I hadn’t had a Blue Apron meal for awhile since I had to skip the last two weeks due to being out of town, so I made a pork and tomatillo pozole with hominy, avocado, and radishes.  I don’t know what a pozole is but it definitely hit the spot. The toasted pepitas sprinkled on top took it to another level.

IMG_2430.JPG

After dinner we watched Superman: Man of Steel because apparently we were on a superhero kick this weekend.  I hope you all had a great weekend and happy Monday!

• What’s your favorite candy to eat at the movie theater?
  • What’s the best thing you did this weekend?
  • Do you like farmer’s markets?

May 11, 2015 / 11:36 am

I still have never bought anything at Dylan’s though. I just get overwhelmed and leave. Totally down for the market again and again.

1. May 11, 2015 / 7:30 am

I am very strict about not letting myself (or my poor husband) eat cinema snacks before the film has started. He sits there whimpering like a puppy throughout the trailers, but he thanks me when there is popcorn for the film itself. (In reality, he gets distracted by Iron Man, and I eat all the popcorn – mwah ha ha ha ha).
    Hannah @ Will Run For Coffee recently posted…Run Hackney Half Marathon (As a Spectator)My Profile

May 11, 2015 / 11:37 am

That definitely makes sense. I was all candied out before it even started. I would probably be distracted by Iron Man too 🙂

2. May 11, 2015 / 9:39 am

Sour patch kids and peanut butter M&Ms! I was able to go out for two sunny runs this weekend. It was such a gift since I’ve been injured for a while. You’re gonna rock that half! Smart of you to ice your shins. Keep icing them just to make sure!
    Suzy recently posted…Mileage MondayMy Profile

May 11, 2015 / 11:38 am

My husband loves Sour Patch Kids and my mouth just starts puckering whenever I hear them. I need some chocolate in my life for candy. Well, that or Starbursts.

Glad you were able to get out and run!!

3. May 11, 2015 / 9:44 am

You KILLED it with the pesto this weekend haha I love it. I still haven’t been to Dylan’s — it seems more like something you just have to see, and then head to Walgreen’s across the street to actually buy haha. I can’t wait for the market next weekend! I might only be able to go for a few minutes but I’m definitely walking by. Otherwise let’s totally meet up at the market on Memorial Day weekend if you’re in town!

I can’t wait to hear about your race this weekend!!
    Lauren @ ihadabiglunch recently posted…Weekend happenings: Mother’s Day in MadisonMy Profile

May 11, 2015 / 11:39 am

Oh that’s exactly what we did. When I saw that tiny box I was like no, this will not suffice.

We will go to ALL THE MARKETS this season.

May 12, 2015 / 3:16 pm

It’s amazing!

4. May 11, 2015 / 12:51 pm

Sounds like an awesome weekend! We also braved the farmer’s market even though it wasn’t the best day weather wise. Those crepes look amazing! My favorite movie theatre candy is definitely Sour Patch Kids. 🙂
    Paige recently posted…Weekend RecapMy Profile

May 12, 2015 / 3:16 pm

You and my husband both! I can’t wait to go back to the market and try ALL THE FOOD.

May 12, 2015 / 3:16 pm

I hope your weather is better than mine was!

5. May 11, 2015 / 1:22 pm

I loove Farmer’s Markets. I was so disappointed that I couldn’t go to our Farmer’s Market this weekend because I was sick all weekend. 🙁
    I don’t know what it is about the movies but I always have to eat candy when I go! I don’t usually eat candy any other time. Depending on my mood, I either get sour patch kids or chocolate covered cookie dough bites. Yummy!
    Lindsey recently posted…44 Ways to Stream Full-Length Online Workouts at HomeMy Profile

May 12, 2015 / 3:17 pm

Me too on the candy. It’s just something about being in a movie that means it’s time for candy! I hope you are feeling better and get to go soon!

6. May 11, 2015 / 3:27 pm

I used to love Milk Duds but now I am afraid they’ll pull out my dental work lol. #young. My fave movie theater scooby snack is a popcorn with M&Ms dumped in and a cherry coke – it’s the only time I get a cherry coke lol. I’m totally going to have to go to the movies soon, because movie snacks are honestly the best! Looks like you had a great weekend! 🙂
    Erin recently posted…One Move for Zero Love HandlesMy Profile

May 12, 2015 / 3:19 pm

I feel you on that. It took the whole movie to get most of the caramel out of my teeth.

7. Giana
    May 11, 2015 / 7:39 pm

Hi Erin!
    Totally random here, but do you workout at CTF and take classes from PT Kailee Martin??!! She was one of my high school students in the class I created and teach called Fit for Life! We still keep in contact as adult friends now…and fitness colleagues!!
    I came across your blog thru a few other bloggers that we have in common 🙂
    I’m so, so proud of her! Tell her I said hiiiiiii!! 🙂

May 12, 2015 / 3:19 pm

I have been there before but I actually teach at Sweat Chicago. I do follow her on IG though so I’m sure I will run into her in real life and I’ll let her know! Thanks for reading 🙂

May 12, 2015 / 3:20 pm

Well I hope you get to go to one soon!

May 12, 2015 / 3:20 pm

You definitely should! It’s so good!

May 12, 2015 / 3:23 pm

Let me know how it is! I saw that grilled cheese after I had already eaten but you’d better believe I’ll be back for more.