A Weekend of Opposites

And so another week begins. I don’t know about you, but I feel like the weekend went by pretty quickly for once.

Saturday I was out of the house from 8 am-6 pm shadowing my friend Rick who is a personal trainer and running coach. He sees a wide variety of clients and offered to let me tag along and see how personal training can be used in a variety of settings. It was a great opportunity since I am the most comfortable at Sweat and haven’t had too much experience outside that scope.

We started off at an awesome track off Wilson Ave. I had never been to this track and there is also a large field area where many other sports were going on. We spent about an hour with two running clients before moving on to the next one.

IMG_2872.JPG

IMG_2865.JPG

We visited a 98-year old woman in her home overlooking Lake Michigan (I would have taken a picture but that may have been weird) and then drove to meet another client at i.d. gym, an independent gym in Lincoln Park. We did some strength work and then headed out again to meet up with a 23-year old autistic man.

IMG_2867.JPG

We walked to a fitness center at the UIC campus, did some strength work, then walked back. We also spent a lot of our walking time talking about his love of Disney. It was incredible.

IMG_2868.JPG

After leaving the West Loop, we drove out to Oak Park for 3 final running clients. The weather was all over the place on Saturday. The morning started off cool, then the sun came out and I had a sunburn by the end of the day. As I mentioned before, I am really interested in learning more about the intricacies of running form and improving performance.

IMG_2870.JPG

I learned a lot of things during my time with Rick and was able to accost him with all sorts of questions. After all the clients had finished, we spent time going over my running form and technique. I even got a sweet video of it.

My form in general is good, but I need to work some on keeping my arms more to my sides. If anyone in the Chicago area is looking for a great running coach, make sure to check him out here! As you can see, he is all over the city.

I had a great time and it was so rewarding to help so many people in one day! Neil and I got home around the same time and spent the rest of the evening together since he had been out of town most of the week.

Sunday morning we woke up to a lovely torrential downpour and decided not to leave the house. Ever. Hence, a weekend of opposites. A day of sun and fitness followed by rain and lethargy.

We made an epic breakfast of eggs, steak, and pancakes (thanks Susie!) since this was the first time he has been able to eat real food since his dental surgery over a week ago.

IMG_2874.JPG

IMG_2875.JPG

I made almond butter because I have gone off the deep end and keep making almond butter + jelly sandwiches every day. And just almond butter on a piece of cinnamon raisin Ezekiel bread. And with dates. And my fingers.

IMG_2877.JPG

After breakfast we played some games (thanks Katy!). Enjoy that hair.

IMG_2879.JPG

I made some TJs Kung Pao chicken for lunch and then we inhaled some deep dish for dinner. It was a horrible eating day. Or was it???

IMG_2880.JPG

We finished the night off with rewatching Star Trek: Into Darkness because a) those movies are incredible and b) I am newly obsessed with Benedict Cumberbatch after watching all of Sherlock and everything else he’s in. Also this (fast forward to 3:25 unless you like to watch all of him like me):

This morning I am taking the 7 am class at Sweat and then teaching at 8:30 am. Come hang out with me if you can!! If not, see you all tomorrow 🙂

• What’s the best thing you did this weekend?
  • Have you ever worked with a running coach?
  • Star Wars or Star Trek? (As you can see, I like both from my game-playing attire).

June 17, 2015 / 8:33 am

I thought about you with all the running coaching. WHY ISN’T SHERLOCK BACK YET??

1. June 15, 2015 / 7:26 am

I probably sound like a broken record but I’m so so jealous your NASM exam is done! I took a practice test yesterday. I passed but there are a few areas that just don’t stick with me and interestingly there were other areas I felt like I studied too much detail. Soon my friend! Very soon!

I’ve been talking to trainers about the possibility of shadowing. Love chatting about this stuff 🙂
    jill conyers recently posted…Double Chocolate Oatmeal SnackMy Profile

June 17, 2015 / 8:33 am

Oh you’ve got it down. Don’t you worry. Especially if you passed the practice one already!

2. June 15, 2015 / 8:21 am

I’ve never watched one single episode of either Star Wars or Star Trek. I know, I know. Hate on me. That’s okay. I love your food choices for yesterday! Brilliant. And man, that track is so nice. You guys take such good care of your tracks down there. I know that sounds weird but Canada just isn’t as into tracks/fields etc like you guys are. I wish we were! Our tracks are mostly gravel and the ones that are asphalt are all bumpy and run down. Boo hiss boo.
    Suzy recently posted…Mileage MondayMy Profile

June 17, 2015 / 8:34 am

It’s a relatively new one but there’s a closer one by me that needs some serious loving. I will forgive you for your sci-fi indiscretions.

3. June 15, 2015 / 9:55 am

Your weekend sounds awesome!!! I love running coaches, I’ve had a couple great ones and I wish I could have one year round. Well maybe I will one day but I always learn something new. We enjoyed hanging in DC this weekend and now I’m ready to recover from our trip. lol
    Danielle recently posted…VAY-KAYMy Profile

June 17, 2015 / 8:35 am

Yeah I was surprised at how much there is to coach with running!

June 17, 2015 / 8:35 am

It was definitely an interesting day!

4. June 15, 2015 / 10:30 am

Best thing I did this weekend was spending a few hours at the beach relaxing on Sunday. I have never worked with a running coach but have dabbled with the idea. I’m not sure if it’s something I can commit to for my fall marathon, but I’d like to try it some day.
    Jamie recently posted…Guess Who’s Back, Back Again..My Profile

June 17, 2015 / 8:36 am

I think it would be really cool…especially to have someone else design my workouts for me!

5. June 15, 2015 / 1:19 pm

What a fun weekend! We finally ordered a conversion kit to make our stroller a bike trailer, and took our first bike ride as a family. So fun, and everyone was positively wiped out at the end!
    Courtney recently posted…CSA Box Tour, Weeks 2 and 3My Profile

June 17, 2015 / 8:36 am

That sounds magical!

6. June 15, 2015 / 2:04 pm

I love Benedict! He’s adorable. I just watched an older film with him in it where he’s on a university quiz team (it also stars James Mcavoy who is so dreamy) — it’s called Starter For 10. I am a Star Wars gal! Luke and I started running this weekend — we’re going to do the Glasgow Half Marathon in October. Hoping my knee can handle it. I used to run with a coach in high school but that was, like, forevvvvver ago! lol #Old
    Erin recently posted…Nutrition and Illness (Part Two & Conclusion)My Profile

June 17, 2015 / 8:36 am

I didn’t know about this film! It must be watched immediately…esp if James Mcavoy is in it too.

7. June 15, 2015 / 3:41 pm

Sounds like you got a lot out of your shadowing experience! Glad you were able to do that–that’s awesome! I don’t dislike Star Trek (in fact my hubby and I watched all of TNG and DS9 together and have slowly been working on Voyager), but Star Wars will always be tops in my heart. The best thing I did this weekend: running Ragnar! Almost too much fun…almost. 🙂
    Beth @ Running with the Sunrise recently posted…Monday Motivation: Accepting YourselfMy Profile

June 17, 2015 / 8:37 am

I agree. The new Star Trek movies are so incredible and I like them more than the “actual” Star Trek haha. Star Wars is in its own league.

June 17, 2015 / 8:41 am

I know I love it. IS IT TIME FOR MORE SHERLOCK YET??