My Ideal Weekday

ideal weekday

Since I no longer have a 9-5 desk job outside of my house, I’ve lost some of the structure that comes with those parameters. I enjoy the freedom to make my own schedule that can be different everyday, but lately I find myself reverting back to more of a repetitive, self-imposed schedule. For me, if I don’t monitor my time, I am apt to being sucked into books or YouTube videos or the internet in general.

I am the master of reading everything there is on a subject without actually doing any work. I have found myself spending hours researching personal training, writing careers, starting your own business, giving a Ted talk, or just anything that I am passionate about. By the time I look at the clock I am brimming with knowledge and satisfaction. That is, until I reflect on the day and ask myself what I actually accomplished. On those days the answer is very little and then if I’m not careful I can berate myself for wasting time.

Taking all of this into account, I want to lay out my ideal weekday.

• 7-8 am: wake up, check emails, eat breakfast, and change for my workout
  • 8 am: walk to Sweat for the 8:30 am class or design my own to do in the building gym
  • 10 am: be back in the condo, shower, after workout shake
  • 10-11 am: blog reading/commenting
  • 11 am-12 pm: outline/start writing blog post
  • 12-1 pm: actually take a lunch BREAK. This means getting up from the computer!
  • 1-2 pm: if I’m not finished yet, wrap up blog post and schedule out social media
  • 2-330 pm: admin work for the blog, marketing for training opportunities, emails/phone calls about upcoming projects
  • 330 pm: head to Sweat to teach at 430 pm
  • 6-10 pm: get home, make/eat dinner, hang out with Neil, attend any blogging/fitness events that may be happening
  • 1030 pm: sleep 🙂

Now I could feasibly make this schedule work because it is loosely based on what I actually do during a day. What differs are my teaching days/hours so that won’t always be consistent. I have a hard time staying motivated after about 2 pm and feel like calling it a day and reading, so I want to be better about actually following through until the evening.

If you’ve been reading for awhile, you know that I am a big proponent of to-do lists, so I want to start being more diligent about those as well. Having physical tasks to complete will help me reflect on the day and feel like I have made some accomplishments. For those of you who are awesome time management rock stars, feel free to impart any tips or tricks you use on a daily basis!

• What does your typical day look like?
  • Are you good about time management?
  • Do you schedule time for things that are important to you like fitness or alone time?
Share:

1. June 30, 2015 / 6:08 am

I’m in the same boat right now, but wow you have SO much more structure than I do at the moment! I have a big chunk of time between noon and 4 pm that sometimes I do get sucked into doing things I shouldn’t be. I have so many courses going at the minute and I do find myself getting overwhelmed and then getting sucked into the internet, etc. I’ve set up for July that I’m going to spend at least 2.5 hours/3 days a week to networking and gaining prospects. Mentally, I probably do better with the rigidness of a 9-5 schedule, but emotionally I never want to go back to that again. I hated it.
    Erin recently posted…5 Tips For Staying Healthy In A New CityMy Profile

July 1, 2015 / 2:41 pm

I really need to work on my networking some more which is hard when I stay inside and write for a lot of the day haha

2. June 30, 2015 / 6:38 am

I’ve been scheduling my workouts in, especially yoga classes. It makes me feel less stressed haha. Yes! I’m with ya- I could easily roam around the Internet without actually getting anything done…unless I schedule tasks.
    Jess @hellotofit recently posted…Link Love #24 and celebrations of lifeMy Profile

July 1, 2015 / 2:43 pm

I need to do some serious scheduling!!

3. June 30, 2015 / 8:23 am

You and me both Erin! When I start reading about things I’m passionate about I lose track of time. You should see the number of tabs and windows I have left open to go back to when I have TIME. ha!

My latest mantra is as soon as the NASM exam is over. I feel like I will have an abundance of time then!
    jill conyers recently posted…10 Ways to Stay Healthy on VacationMy Profile

July 1, 2015 / 2:43 pm

Oh man I always have at least 5-10 tabs open at all times and then I freak out if my husband accidentally closes the window

4. June 30, 2015 / 8:24 am

I also love to-do lists. The notes section on my phone is filled with them. Erin, there isn’t enough room on earth for me to type out my typical daily schedule. It’s bananas. But… I love it.
    Suzy recently posted…Christianity vs Homosexuality = LonelyMy Profile

July 1, 2015 / 2:44 pm

Then that’s all that matters!

5. June 30, 2015 / 8:28 am

I like the idea of scheduling things. It’s a must with my marketing day job, but I fall short with my “unpaid” obligations and tasks (my blog, etc.). And without a solid plan, I end up binge watching YouTube videos or reading random parts of a handful of books (my mind is chaotic). Obviously, I need more structure if I hope to reach my goals. It’s interesting to see what other people plan, and how they manage their time.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Rica @ Yoga Mat Monkey recently posted…Comment on A Simple Exercise to Improve Your Confidence…and Ultimately, Your Life! by Rica LewisMy Profile

July 1, 2015 / 2:44 pm

I agree. I need to sit down and do some serious goal planning/scheduling so that I actually get things done!

6. June 30, 2015 / 8:50 am

this looks like a really awesome schedule! I am sort of exploring different schedules right now… a transitional phase. I love schedules and lists so I really benefit from having one. I just started a new job that gives me more structure. so far so good, I like some structure!
    danielle saucy smith recently posted…A Side of FunMy Profile

July 1, 2015 / 2:45 pm

Me too but I just have to learn how to impose it on myself!

7. June 30, 2015 / 10:32 am

I WISH I could have a schedule! I’m in such a weird limbo place right now – a month ago, I quit my 9-5 job in order to start graduate school in August. So from June to July, I just have this weird gap. No REAL responsibilities (I’m spending the summer back and forth between my parents and boyfriend), and so a whole lot of “hmm, what do to today?”
    MK recently posted…Two for the Price of OneMy Profile

July 1, 2015 / 2:45 pm

Oh yeah I know that feeling. It leaves me feeling antsy after awhile and I need to do something!

8. June 30, 2015 / 10:54 am

I usually get up around 545/6 to get my workout in. I typically work out anywhere from 60-90 minutes, shower, get ready for work, pack my lunch and am out the door by 830. Work all day, home by 6/630, make dinner, stretch, socialize, in bed by 11. Having a desk job definitely gives me structure and I find myself a lot less productive when I have a day off. It’s kinda funny how that works. I am not good with time management when I have free time, but am fantastic when I’m busy. Working out is definitely a priority and is why I was waking up at 415am when I was commuting in and out of NYC. But now with a 10 minute commute, my schedule is much more manageable.
    Jamie recently posted…Tried It Tuesday – Yoga?My Profile

July 1, 2015 / 2:46 pm

Im glad things aren’t as crazy for you. I liked the structure of a desk job but not the lack of freedom. I’m trying to find a way to recreate that at home and tweak it as needed!

9. July 1, 2015 / 3:05 am

Time management is definitely important when not working a typical 9-5 job. Making time for yourself and fitness are also important. Your business thrives the most when you do too.
    Monica Galvan recently posted…Inspiring Posts of #LoveWins on InstagramMy Profile

July 1, 2015 / 2:47 pm

I definitely agree with that and am trying to get that balance. Thanks for reading Monica!

10. July 2, 2015 / 7:30 am

I’m usually good at time management, unless there’s a task I’m dreading. Then my schedule goes out the window and I turn into a major procrastinator. I hate that about myself! It happened last night because of a project I had been putting off completing. Thankfully, it’s done now and I can go back to my regularly scheduled lifestyle 🙂
    Pragati // Simple Medicine recently posted…How to: Have a Healthy-ish VacationMy Profile

July 2, 2015 / 7:22 pm

That’s totally like me too. Then I do it and am like “why didn’t I just do this sooner??”

11. July 3, 2015 / 10:21 pm

Typical weekday: out of bed by 6:30, leave by 8am, work 8:30-5pm or so, head to workout, home by 7-8pm, start dinner, sometimes don’t eat dinner until 9pm or so, shower, check emails and stuff, in bed around 11pm or so.
    Maggie recently posted…Divvy Bikes Turns Two! [Giveaway]My Profile