Five Things Friday #52

Please note there are some affiliate links in this post. If you decide to purchase a product I recommend, the cost is still the same to you but I will receive a small commission to help keep this site up and running. Thanks for your support!!

Well, another week has flown by. What are you guys doing this weekend? Can I come hang out?

Because I know you all are busy waiting for the day to be over and the weekend to get here, I will keep this intro short. Check out this week’s Five Things Friday!

1. Running

I mentioned yesterday that I am going to be running the Magnificent Mile Women’s Half Marathon on Sept. 6th, and I think I am actually excited about running again. This weekend I plan to sit and write down an actual plan so that I can keep myself accountable and get a decent running base before I hit the streets.

I’ve been having a good time on the treadmill recently since I don’t like running in the heat, but if the weather cools off or I actually get up early enough, I may head outside again for views like this:

IMG_1991

2. Spotify Running App

Speaking of running, this is what has helped get me excited again. The running component to Spotify came out months ago, but since I a) didn’t have Spotify and b) wasn’t running as much, I didn’t make use of it. Since I started running again and have had Spotify to make playlists for work, I decided to give it a try.

You guys. I love it so much. If you are not familiar, Spotify senses your running pace which then determines which songs are played to match that tempo. I may even do a whole post about it I love it so much. It has powered me through running on the treadmill which, even though I enjoy, still gets a little repetitive at times. Let me know if you want more info on it and I will happily write a post.

IMG_3714

3. The 4-Hour Workweek by Tim Ferriss

Another week, another book. This one will probably take me a little while to get through though since it is a little longer and I haven’t been participating in lengthy book binges as of late.

The 4-Hour Workweek is an account of how Tim Ferriss thought outside the box to work smarter, not harder. Don’t get me wrong, this guy has done his fair share of hard work, but he has also found a way to make a comfortable living by working less. If you want to work from anywhere or spend time traveling while still maintaining your finances, this book is for you.

If you can’t tell, I’ve been loving reading about working less in order to get more but I keep forgetting to actually do the work part. Maybe I need to stop gathering so much information.

4 Hour Workweek

4. Weighted Massage Rollers by Merrithew

I actually got these at Blogfest this year, but didn’t look at them until the other day when I saw the box on the floor. I tried them out on Neil since he always has tightness and pain and he thought they were amazing. I tried them on my IT band and it hurt so good. Nevermind the fact that I have a foam roller right next to me, sometimes it’s the convenience of these little rollers while I am just sitting on the couch. It’s too much work for me to move a couple feet to the floor.

weighted massage rollers

5. Scary Close by Donald Miller

TWO BOOKS in one post? Yes. I actually started this one on my flight to MD last week and finished it on the flight home. It is a quick read and I highly recommend it for those of us who have trouble with vulnerability.

In Scary Close, Donald Miller explains how he spent most of his life trying to impress other people by operating behind a persona he thought would make him likable. After several failed relationships and a personal crisis, he determined that it was time to shed that outer mask for his true self. He talks about the risks involved in being vulnerable with other people and how important it is to make deeper connections with fewer people based on who you truly are as a person.

There are a lot of recovery parallels in this book, so I related a lot to trying to be what you think other people want you to be. Once you are true to yourself, you attract the people you deserve.

Scary Close Donald Miller

Have a great weekend!!

• Is anyone else running the half marathon? If not, do you have any upcoming races?
  • What’s the last good book you read?
  • HAVE YOU USED SPOTIFY RUNNING?

1. August 14, 2015 / 5:05 am

I’m reading Girl On A Train. It’s one of those books you can’t put down. I love love the rollers we got at Blogfest. Neck and shoulders nightly please 🙂

Have a fantastic weekend Erin!
    jill conyers recently posted…Five Things FridayMy Profile

August 17, 2015 / 12:56 pm

Man, I read that and I was disappointed. Maybe bc I read it right after Gone Girl and I had higher expectations. Idk. Glad you like it though!

August 17, 2015 / 12:56 pm

Totes.

August 17, 2015 / 12:56 pm

Nice, sounds interesting! I’ll have to check it out!

2. August 14, 2015 / 9:36 am

I don’t listen to music while running, so I haven’t tried Spotify Running, but when I heard about it, it made me wish I DID listen to music while running! Haha. (I don’t like wearing headphones when I work out unless I’m on something mindless like the elliptical, so music doesn’t really happen for me on a run.) Have you heard about the Nike+ Running Spotify integration? It’s similar to Spotify Running, except instead of Spotify figuring out your pace and finding music that matches, you set your pace in Nike+, and then Spotify finds music that matches the pace you said you want to run, rather than the pace you settle into on your own. Probably an awesome thing to have if you’re doing a workout where you need to stick to a certain speed!
    Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted…Thursday ThingsMy Profile

August 17, 2015 / 12:57 pm

That sounds amazing! I’ll have to check that out too!

3. Deb
    August 14, 2015 / 9:59 am

Thanks for the tip about Spotify running! If I listen to music it is on Pandora but I’m not really happy with it. It will stop playing music for no apparent reason. Then I forget I have it on so when it comes on again it startles me and freaks me out! This may sound odd but I find listening to books on tape while I run is a nice distraction. I am running the Chicago Half in September. Keep up your awesome pace!!

August 17, 2015 / 12:57 pm

Yeah I used Pandora for a long time but then it got so repetitive to me. I know a lot of people who listen to books on tape…that’s awesome!

4. August 14, 2015 / 10:38 am

oh cool, i love listening to Tim Ferris’s podcast! i love his books as well, even if i don’t live by them per say but like his point of view. his podcast is great for me because i listen to it when i’m running and his voice is like a musical beat, it’s very soothing and hypnotic sometimes. haha!
    danielle saucy smith recently posted…Milk Tea & PoPoMy Profile

August 17, 2015 / 12:57 pm

Oh I’ll have to check out the podcast too!

5. August 14, 2015 / 11:12 am

It’s hilarious how much effort it takes to just move to the floor to foam roll haha. Those look like pretty cool tools! Can we run together? Apparently I’m supposed to run a MARATHON in October and things are looking pretty damn bleak.
    Lauren @ ihadabiglunch recently posted…Fahlstrom’s Fresh Fish MarketMy Profile

August 17, 2015 / 12:58 pm

We can definitely run together. I think you’re faster than me, but maybe that will kick my butt!

6. August 15, 2015 / 12:22 am

Those Weighted Massage Rollers look amazing! I feel like I’m always in need of a massage! Either from a workout or even from sitting at my desk working too long.
    Alexandra @ My Urban Family recently posted…Friday Favorites – Week 2My Profile

August 17, 2015 / 12:39 pm

Tell me about it!

7. August 18, 2015 / 12:35 pm

I recently bit the bullet and got spotify premium…so now I need to try the running component for my bi-monthly two-mile runs :P.
    I just finished Girl on the Train. Have you read it?
    Jess @hellotofit recently posted…Monday motivation – rule your mindMy Profile

August 21, 2015 / 10:45 am

Yeah I got premium too. I really like it so far!

I did read it but I was a little disappointed with the story. I tend to figure out endings pretty easily and I also wasn’t very attached to the characters. I think I was comparing it to Gone Girl which I liked a lot more