July Income Report

It’s time for my July income report! Buckle up!

July Income Report

Income

• Freelance Writing: $200
  • Sponsored Posts: $150
  • sovrn: $12.57
  • Google Adsense: $2.39
  • Shareaholic: $1.55
  • Total: $366.51

For me, ad networks are barely relevant. Most of my income is from writing, whether that be freelance or sponsored. I may have to look into whether they are even worth it.

What I Did Differently This Month

I actually wrote my sponsored post back in June, but was paid in July. Aside from that, everything else was basically the same. I made sure to show up and write, but since my marriage was my highest priority at the time, I didn’t focus on much else besides writing. This blog has been a lifesaver, but I wasn’t able to focus as much on it as I wanted to in July.

I also ended up skipping a couple Five Things Friday posts, so I didn’t get any income from Amazon affiliates, since those posts are really the only ones that contain affiliate links.

I changed hosting from GoDaddy to Bluehost and made a few referral sales through my post How To Start A WordPress Blog in Under 5 Minutes, but again, those won’t be paid out until probably mid September.

I posted less. Initially it was because I was feeling overwhelmed, but then I started experimenting with only posting 4 times instead of 5. I am still tweaking that formula, but so far it seems that Erin’s Inside Job is able to function just fine with one less post a week.

Again, blogging is a marathon, not a sprint. I’m sure there will be times when my income grows and when it wanes. Long term, I want to look into offering a product or service of my own so that I am not relying on affiliate income or delayed payment structures.

Plans For August

The month is already well under way, but there are still some things that I want to get accomplished before September:

1. Develop more relationships with brands
  2. Look into higher paying freelance opportunities
  3. Figure out necessity of ad networks (for me)

I actually have an ad blocker set up on my computer, so I can’t even see the ads on my site. How do you feel about them? Are they distracting? Not relevant? Are you just blind to them? Please let me know your feelings on them since I want to take that into consideration when figuring out if I should keep them or not.

If you can think of anything that you would like to see (or not) on Erin’s Inside Job or topics that you want me to cover, please let me know in the comments section! If you want me to go into more detail about any of the ways I am using to monetize, just ask.  I have been excited to start writing these and I’m sure in my excitement I have forgotten something.  As always, it is your feedback that helps me know what direction to go to make sure that you are getting the most out of your time here!

Also, if you enjoy reading income reports as much as I do, make sure to check out some of my favorites:

1. Pinch Of Yum
  2. BYREGINA
  3. Making Sense of Cents

1. August 17, 2015 / 6:43 am

Ads annoy me. I’m even thinking of not doing them, period. But they make just enough to pay for my self hosting, so we’ll see. PS I’m going to text you because I want to know how this weekend went.
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…A Damn Perfect Weekend and 7 Years TogetherMy Profile

2. August 17, 2015 / 7:07 am

Thanks Erin…I love reading income reports! The ads are relevant for me and I actually barely notice them..I had to scroll back up to even look and see where ads were! I’ve been contemplating moving to Bluehost from GoDaddy too.
    Michelle recently posted…Tough Mudder Race ReviewMy Profile

August 17, 2015 / 1:00 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I’m not too ad-crazy so I think I may just leave them. Let me know if you want to talk anymore about switching!

3. August 17, 2015 / 12:08 pm

I love that you share these. I learn so much from other bloggers and you are no exception! As far as ads go, I don’t even notice them on sites anymore (unless they are annoyingly placed in the middle of a post) so I think that you could keep ’em or leave ’em.
    Lindsey recently posted…Chocolate Almond Butter DipMy Profile

August 17, 2015 / 1:00 pm

Thanks Lindsey! Yeah, I don’t really notice them either unless something pops up in my face haha

4. August 17, 2015 / 6:14 pm

Love how honest you are with your income reports. Re: ads, I obviously have them on my site, but I try to make them as unobtrusive as possible. I hate ads that pop up over the entire page and make it impossible to read. So, I have them (I have to pay for my blog expenses somehow!) but I try to make them as unobtrusive as possible. And that’s my two cents. 😉
    Beth @ Running with the Sunrise recently posted…Keeping It RealMy Profile

August 21, 2015 / 10:41 am

Yeah, that’s my feeling on it but I realized that I couldn’t even see my own so I would ask you guys 🙂

5. August 17, 2015 / 7:32 pm

I hardly make anything on ads and I’m not sure why I still run them. I’m hoping to join an ad network soon for sponsored content opps. I just left BlogHer because I didn’t feel like I was getting any opportunities OR making anything off the ads I was running.
    Pragati // Simple Medicine recently posted…Grilled Peach, Basil and Goat Cheese SaladMy Profile

August 21, 2015 / 10:41 am

That’s definitely frustrating. I’m in their social influencer program but that’s been pretty slow too

6. August 18, 2015 / 3:20 am

I make around the same as you off my ads. I think ads are sort of pointless (especially since so many of us use AdBlocker), but if I were making any money off them I’d probably feel a bit differently about it. I’ve basically been rejected by every publisher and affiliate I’ve tried to work with, which I don’t really get. I’m still holding out hope that I can actually start to get paid for some of my work as a contributor, but at this point I just actually enjoy blogging for myself and if something else comes of it that’s good too. I should try making a blogging goal and sticking to it lol. I love that you share your income report — it’s good for other bloggers to see!
    Erin recently posted…3 Steps For Finding A Silver Lining In Any SituationMy Profile

August 21, 2015 / 10:42 am

Yeah it’s just something that takes time and effort. As long as we are passionate about it though, it doesn’t really feel like work!

7. August 18, 2015 / 12:36 pm

I love Pinch of Yum! I’ve been skipping out on a day or so each week, not on purpose, but because things come up (dinner with friends, etc.) that leave me choosing sleep over staying up late to write a blog post. I feel okay about it!
    Jess @hellotofit recently posted…Monday motivation – rule your mindMy Profile

August 21, 2015 / 10:45 am

Yeah I understand that. I still think you’re doing an awesome job!

August 21, 2015 / 10:39 am

Thank YOU for reading! I’m definitely going to check out your list too 🙂

8. August 24, 2015 / 8:14 am

That’s awesome, Erin! Congrats! Where are you freelance writing? Would love to read your articles 🙂
    Happy Monday!

9. August 25, 2015 / 8:59 am

Your kicking ass (Can I say that on here?) buddy- Congrats on all the progress. As much as I don’t like having ads on my own site, I do rely on them for income but like you, I have ad blocker lol…So I’m oblivious. But i do get the snarky emails….
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Man Sass Mondays #18- Balls over AmericaMy Profile