The City of Sisterly Love

This weekend was pretty epic. As I mentioned last week, my sister Jackie came to visit from Virginia. She got in Thursday night and after dropping her stuff off at home, we immediately went to get her a Chicago hot dog.

Warning: this post is definitely picture-heavy so get pumped.

IMG_3809

Friday

Friday we met Neil for lunch in the Loop since he had to work. After lunch we walked around for a couple hours, starting out in Millenium Park, then walking south to Buckingham Fountain before walking back north to home.

Obligatory Bean photo. Might be time to clean it off.

IMG_3817

Buckingham Fountain.

IMG_3821

IMG_3840

After all that walking, we had to stop for donuts at Stan’s.

IMG_3828

After resting for awhile, we all went to meet my Uncle Bill at Catch 35 for a delicious seafood dinner. There were about 321657 food pictures, but for brevity’s sake I left these out of the post. I can attest to the fact that everything was delicious.

IMG_3838

Saturday

Saturday morning we headed to the French Market, but even though the market itself had opened an hour before, some of the vendors weren’t open yet.

IMG_3848

Thankfully Beaver’s Donuts was open and these were gone far too quickly.

IMG_3851

I had a lox bagel for breakfast which made everything right in the world.

IMG_3850

This is the second time that the chocolate display from Lolli and Pops overwhelmed me and I bought nothing.

IMG_3856

After the French Market, we headed to the Adler Planetarium. Unfortunately, my feeling after leaving the planetarium was similar to when we went to the aquarium. I think the potential was there, but I was a little underwhelmed.

Note: we bought tickets online to save line time, but when you go you have to stand in line regardless in order to get tickets for the shows they offer. I would advise waiting until you get there and save $5 on the in-line ticket only purchase since the pre-order doesn’t save you any time.

IMG_3852

SPACE.

IMG_3854

After a long day out and about, Jackie and I went to Ghirardelli’s to drink delicious milkshakes.

IMG_3862

Sunday

Sunday was Jackie’s favorite day because she got to meet Manny the Frenchie who was having a fundraiser at the Hotel Palomar. We hung out with Manny and many other puppies who came to play and help raise money for the Chicago French Bulldog Rescue.

IMG_3881

After rolling around in puppies, we headed to Eataly for a banana and Nutella crepe.

IMG_3884

The rest of Sunday was spent trying to cram in all the rest of the foods on our list. We had Trader Joe’s Kung Pao Chicken for lunch and then pho for second lunch.

IMG_3885

After pho, we took Jackie to Jeni’s Ice Cream.

IMG_3893

IMG_3888

After ice cream, we got Insomnia Cookies. I thought I wouldn’t be able to eat another thing, but I can never turn down chocolate chip cookies. I just had to wait until we got home to eat one (or 2.5).

IMG_3892

IMG_3891

We rewatched 21 Jump Street and then Neil made steak and salmon because we live in the most gluttonous household known to man. Then we watched 22 Jump Street because we couldn’t move from the couch.

Jackie leaves this afternoon, so we may hit up breakfast and then hang out until then. I think we had a great weekend and it was really good to have her here!

I hope you guys have a great Monday! I will be running to prepare for my half marathon this weekend and hiding all cookies 🙂

• What was the best thing you ate this weekend?
  • Want to come hang out and eat all the food with me?

1. August 31, 2015 / 6:02 am

So glad that you had an amazing weekend with your sister. You totally needed and deserve it. And you know that I need to see you this week (I gave you a week’s reprieve, so count yourself lucky).
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Running in the Rain (Life and Running)My Profile

2. August 31, 2015 / 9:17 am

Best thing I ate this weekend was fresh clams cooked on the grill. Food like that will make me miss summer in a few weeks!
    Jessica recently posted…Signing Off (temporarily)My Profile

September 8, 2015 / 4:31 pm

I’ve never had clams on the grill but they sound magical!

3. Keli
    August 31, 2015 / 9:20 am

Personally, I LOVE the food pics, thanks for sharing! My brother lives in Chicago and he usually takes us to some awesome restaurants. My husband is a vegetarian so it’s always fun to find a restaurant where he can order anything on menu! Have you ever eaten at the Chicago Diner? Totally vegetarian diner/comfort food, it’s awesome! Two other sightseeing recommendations I have are the Chicago History Museum and an architecture tour on the river. I think the one we did was through the Chicago Architecture Foundation. Now I’m jonesing for a Chicago style hot dog!

September 8, 2015 / 4:31 pm

I haven’t eaten there but I’ll have to check it out! I have both of those things on my list to do this year as well!

4. August 31, 2015 / 9:30 am

I think I’m just going to turn this post into my Chicago food bucket list. Out of all of these places, I’ve only been to Portillo’s and Jeni’s, and I think I need to make a much better effort to hit up the rest of them based on your photos 🙂
    Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted…Thursday ThingsMy Profile

September 8, 2015 / 4:30 pm

Oh you certainly do. Let me know if you want to get any of them sometime!

5. August 31, 2015 / 11:51 am

Wow this post made me hungry 😀
    I had one of the BEST runs of my life when I visited Chicago back in 2009. We ran along the bay and stopped at the planetarium and just had the most amazing 4 days ever. I heart your city!
    Danielle recently posted…injureez: work through da chitMy Profile

September 8, 2015 / 4:30 pm

It’s a good one. That run is a great one too….just not when it’s 216546874 degrees and 216574841% humidity.

6. August 31, 2015 / 12:49 pm

I wasn’t really hungry before I started reading this post, and now I am STARVING. This all looks so good! Glad you had a great time hanging out with your sister. And yes, I will come into the city and eat with you any time you want! (Seriously, let’s plan something.)
    Beth @ Running with the Sunrise recently posted…Monday Motivation: Having a Confident MindsetMy Profile

September 8, 2015 / 4:29 pm

Yes, we do need to plan something. Email me!

September 8, 2015 / 4:29 pm

Do it.

7. September 1, 2015 / 9:12 am

Ghiradelli has DRINKS?!
    If I can ever make it out to Chicago can we puhlease go on culinary adventures? Glad to see you and your sister had a fun time 🙂 happy Tuesday!
    Jess @hellotofit recently posted…Link Love #31 and a birthday weekendMy Profile

September 8, 2015 / 4:29 pm

Of course we can! Just let me know when you’re coming!!

8. September 1, 2015 / 12:37 pm

I am glad you had such a fun time with your sister! My idea of a good time is always to Eat All The Food! We seriously plan our vacations around the restaurants.
    We have an insomniacs cookies in town, but I have never been there. I am thinking that that may need to change.
    Heather@hungryforbalance recently posted…Should you workout when you’re sick?My Profile

September 8, 2015 / 4:28 pm

Oh it definitely needs to change. They are pretty delicious.

9. September 2, 2015 / 11:38 am

your weekends are INSANE. I seriously think you spend them just traveling to different parts of the city JUST to eat. I LOVE YOU hahaha. I STILL Haven’t been to Stan’s — is there a location near you that I’m missing? Because the only one I know of is in Wicker Park.

I’m so glad you got to show your sister the town! Buckingham Fountain is one of my favorite spots in the city. Plus Portillos? Slam dunk.
    Lauren @ ihadabiglunch recently posted…Comment on New diet trend: gnats and tumeric (WIAW) by sprint2thetableMy Profile

September 8, 2015 / 4:27 pm

I mean pretty much. HOW HAVE YOU NOT BEEN TO STAN’S? There is one by me on Erie near the hospital.