Weekend in Washington

As I mentioned on Friday, this weekend Neil and I headed out to Washington state to visit my brother, Billy. My sister Jackie also made the trip out from the East coast and while there was definitely a good amount of rain, we were still able to get out and explore for awhile.

There are a lot of pictures, so this post will be one of fewer words. Don’t worry, I have the other days this week for that. Here’s a recap of our weekend in Washington:

Friday

Friday we flew out of Chicago and got to Seattle around 11:30 am. From there we headed to Pike’s Place Market for lunch and exploration.

Pikes Place Market

We sat down at the Pink Door for an Italian lunch and group photo.

Seattle

Saw the first Starbucks (rebuilt after the first Starbucks burned down).

Seattle Starbucks

Did a dance because espresso.

seattle starbucks

Saw the gum wall.

Processed with VSCOcam with s3

The market had the most beautiful flowers I had ever seen. They were so cheap and I could have lived there forever amongst them.

pikes place market

Since I have eaten every chocolate chip cookie in Chicago, I had to start sampling the ones in Seattle.

seattle cookie

We headed out to Gas Works park where I forced others to take my picture.

gasworks park

And where I was able to take pictures of awesomely abandoned structures.

gasworks park

We ended up missing the ferry back to the island where my brother lives by a few minutes and had to wait another hour for the next one. We headed inside the station and I immediately bought this apple cider/chai drink.

IMG_4754

See ya later Seattle!

seattle

My brother lives in a place called Poulsbo, so we had to take the ferry back and drive a little ways back to the house. Once we dropped off our stuff we headed out for some delicious pho.

IMG_4774

Saturday

Saturday morning everyone woke up super early since we hadn’t adjusted to the time change, so we set out to the grocery store to stock up on food.

Did you know that GT’s has a line of alcoholic kombucha? They are all the classic flavors, but you have to be 21 to buy them. I’m calling them Black Label kombuchas. Don’t worry, I stuck to my trusty non-alcoholic Gingerade.

IMG_4777

Their crabs were so much bigger than the blue crabs I grew up with in MD. We didn’t get any, but now I must return to see how delicious they are.

IMG_4782

On our way home, we stopped by one of the many little coffee shops in the town. The ambiance and the view was incredible, but unfortunately we went out on a foggy and rainy day. Perfect for a nice warm chai though.

IMG_4787

Just a casual snack of roasted garlic, Brie, and crackers.

IMG_4789

For dinner, Neil and Billy grilled steak and salmon and we combined it with linguine with butter, rosemary, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper flakes, lemon juice, and salt and pepper sauce. It was amazing.

IMG_4793

Quick shot of the downtown of Poulsbo where you can get beads, books, and tattoos all in one spot.

IMG_4796

Here’s a tree because I like them.

IMG_4794

Sunday

Sunday we headed out for breakfast at a local diner and I finally got another waffle (it’s been too long). On the way out, we stopped at Sluys, a local bakery, and we may have gone a little crazy. I needed (NEEDED) another chocolate chip cookie and that cream cheese frosting in the middle was out of control.

IMG_4806

Later on, the sun came out so we decided to walk back downtown to see some of the shops that were closed when we were down there earlier for breakfast. That meant sharing some pumpkin pie ice cream with chocolate shavings.

Earlier in the weekend we decided we would make a mock-Thanksgiving dinner since we don’t usually end up together during the holidays. Billy made chicken, veggies, mashed potatoes (Jackie), sweet potatoes, gravy, stuffing, and cranberry sauce.

It was an epic meal.

IMG_4827-0

IMG_4828

We are headed back today and a new week starts tomorrow. The short time we were in Washington was great and the next time we head out there I want to make sure to get some more time outdoors. If anyone knows a time when it doesn’t rain, let me know!

I hope you all had a great weekend and have an even better week! I will be detoxing from the exorbitant amount of sugar consumed this weekend.

• What’s the best thing you did this weekend?
  • Have you ever been to Washington? What should we do next time?
  • What’s your favorite holiday?

November 9, 2015 / 5:25 pm

It did not pass the test. I only got through about half of it.

1. November 9, 2015 / 7:12 am

That’s too bad about all the rain! It’s really hard to catch a time in Washington when it’s not raining though. You should come to central Oregon where it doesn’t rain much! Looks like you enjoyed some great food though! It all looks delicious!
    Lindsey recently posted…A Visit to Cape Cod in The β€œOff Season”My Profile

November 9, 2015 / 5:25 pm

I should! Your pictures are always so awesome!

2. November 9, 2015 / 8:53 am

YES to the flowers at Pike Place Market. Every time I go to Seattle, I wish I could buy the flowers at the market. I don’t think they’d last the flight home, so I never do, but man oh man. Cannot get enough.

Crab in Washington is the best thing ever. Can confirm.

I’d definitely recommend heading out in the summer time! The rain is much less frequent during the summer than it is during the fall/winter (kind of like here, how it’s dreary and cloudy from mid-November until like April, but sunny-ish for the rest of the year). This year was an exception, but in general it doesn’t get very hot during the summer (70s or so) and it doesn’t get humid at all (!!!), so the weather’s amazing, the sun is out a lot more, and you can enjoy even more of the Pacific Northwest! As for other suggestions, if you have a little more time, I HIGHLY recommend Olympic National Park, Mt. Rainier (a little bit more of a hike from Poulsbo, but still worth it), or the San Juan Islands. Or Canada, or Oregon…I could go on and on. I <3 the Pacific Northwest, if you can't tell. Hahaha.
    Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted…Thursday ThingsMy Profile

November 9, 2015 / 5:26 pm

Yeah I would have liked to get out to some parks or mountains but I think I’ll have to save that for a better weather time. Looks like I know who to go to to ask for more recommendations when the time comes!

November 9, 2015 / 5:26 pm

It was great. Next time maybe we will get to sample it some more πŸ™‚

3. November 9, 2015 / 9:18 am

I’ve only been to Seattle once (a wedding) and briefly, but it’s one of my favorite cities that I’ve visited. What a gorgeous, clean, vibrant part of the country!
    All of the food y’all ate looks TO DIE FOR and I agree that one of the best parts of the market is the abundance of inexpensive, beautiful flowers.
    Sounds like a great trip!
    Catherine recently posted…Meal Plan Monday 11.09.15My Profile

November 9, 2015 / 5:27 pm

The flowers were AMAZING. I love them so much. I think I would spend all the money I had on flowers

4. November 9, 2015 / 11:22 am

Your brother not smiling in that espresso pic is hilarious! I love living vicariously through your food adventures.
    I’ve never been to Washington but want to!
    Jess @hellotofit recently posted…Monday motivation: dare to succeedMy Profile

November 9, 2015 / 5:28 pm

It was really nice and I’m sure it’s even better when it’s not raining! Also, that’s my brother for you.

5. Clara
    November 9, 2015 / 4:41 pm

Sounds like a great weekend! πŸ™‚ your brother’s face in that “espresso” picture is too funny. He’s like “yeah…I don’t know her.” πŸ˜€

November 9, 2015 / 5:28 pm

Yeah, that’s the story of our time together πŸ™‚

6. November 10, 2015 / 7:52 am

I love your early Thanksgiving! Making sure to spend some time with family this time of year is key to happiness, in my humble opinion (along with all that classic holiday food of course). That cookie and that ice cream look BOMB! I’m glad I’m getting to catch up on your blog today! It’s one of my faves (don’t tell the others). Also how am I this late to notice your new layout? I love it!
    Lauren @ ihadabiglunch recently posted…Not-So-Breaking News: New DevelopmentsMy Profile

November 10, 2015 / 5:47 pm

Thanks! I loved it so much when I got it that I just kept going and reading old posts w it haha

7. November 11, 2015 / 11:18 am

You HAVE to visit in the summer time. Seattle is absolutely gorgeous and rain free in the summer. There are lots of amazing hikes you can go on and it stays light out til nearly 10pm. It was my favorite part about living in Seattle.
    Pragati // Simple Medicine recently posted…Melanzane alla Parmigiana: Eggplant ParmesanMy Profile

November 11, 2015 / 8:37 pm

Ive learned my travel timing lesson for sure. Next time I go I’m definitely getting out in some nature! I’ll be sure to go to you for advice too πŸ™‚