6 Parallels Between Healthy Living and Recovery

Throughout my journey in both recovery and healthy living, I've noticed many parallels between the two. Here are 6 ways they work similarly in my life.

Healthy living is a broad phrase that encompasses different things for different people. For me, healthy living is a combination of physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health. Some days those facets all line up and other days require that I put a little more work into one area or another.

What I’ve come to realize is that there are many parallels between living a healthy life and living a life of recovery. Here are six parallels I’ve found between the two.

1. You have to be ready

For many addicts, it takes hitting a bottom to get to the point where recovery finally makes sense. Until that point, no one can persuade, suggest, or even force you to change the way you are living. The same is true for eating healthy foods and exercising.

A healthy lifestyle is just that—a lifestyle. It’s not a 5-day juice cleanse or a month-long diet so that you can look good for an upcoming occasion. In order to sustainably make healthier choices, you have to reach a point in your life where you are willing to commit to those choices and stick with them.

2. It’s hard work

For someone living with addiction or other addictive behaviors such as eating disorders, choosing recovery doesn’t mean that all of a sudden everything is fine and he or she no longer struggles with the thought of returning to past behaviors. Those behaviors are comfortable and the hard part comes in choosing a different way of life and a different path than the one that’s known. It involves constant work and assessment of your thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.

Waking up early to get a workout in before work requires dedication. Choosing to skip the table full of holiday cookies is a much harder choice than joining in with everyone else. Some days are easier than others, but it’s still hard work.

1033

3. You’ll learn new things about yourself

I’ve become a much more complex and well-rounded person since entering recovery. I’ve learned things about myself that I either chose to ignore or was completely in the dark about through my own journey. Most of my life was spent conforming to the vision that I thought others wanted me to be, so these days I’ve realized what my values are, what I like and dislike, and what I’m no longer willing to stand for.

Exercise has taught me about physical strength, while exploring the mental and emotional sides of healthy living has helped me recognize my strength in these areas as well. I’m constantly learning new things about my physical boundaries (and pushing past them) and what things I need mentally and emotionally to practice self-care and live a fuller life. Also, I like brussels sprouts.

4. It’s a life long journey

I’ve already learned what happens to me when I put recovery on the back burner. I eventually find something else to abuse in order to control the way I feel and escape the everyday flow of life. I know that there will never come a point when I can have a drink and that in order to stay clean I have to work on myself and my recovery for the rest of my life. Life still has its ups and downs even though you’re on an upward trajectory.

A healthy lifestyle is no different. If the goal is to live well in all areas of life, you can’t do one for a month or two and then stop doing it entirely. Exercise gains will dwindle, your body will suffer by returning to unhealthy foods, and any number of mental and emotional issues could arise such as stress, anxiety, depression, and simply peace of mind. It’s unrealistic to assume that you will never fall off track, but the point is to understand that this is something you must maintain if you want it. If you fall off track, simply hop back on.

2033C482D4

5. There are no shortcuts

I would love to have stopped using drugs and alcohol and have everything fall into place in my life. Money, career, happiness, etc. Unfortunately, reiterating #2, it requires work. There’s no shortcut in the process of recovery and you have to go through some tough times to reach your goals.

In dealing with my depression this year, I constantly tried willing myself to be happy. I did things I felt should make me happy to try and get there without going through what was actually happening. Working out multiple times a day to make up for a week of junk eating the week before isn’t going to get you to your goals any faster. The body needs a certain amount of time to rest and repair and excessive workouts may actually increase the amount of time it takes to reach a goal.

6. It’s easier with a supportive network

I don’t think I could have dealt with feelings and life in early recovery without people who had been there before me and were willing to listen when I needed to talk.

Surrounding yourself with people who support you in your healthy decisions is vitally important. It’s hard to continue eating clean if you have a spouse or roomate who constantly gives you a hard time for your choices. Working out with a friend is a great way for you both to support each other and hold each other accountable when you’d rather sit at home on the couch.

December 29, 2015 / 7:37 pm

Thanks dawg!

1. December 29, 2015 / 8:31 am

I can’t speak from the recovery side but you definitely hit the nail on the head with the healthy lifestyle side. Everyone wants that magic quick fix but there isn’t one. It takes dedication and hard work for the rest of your life.
    Jen @ Pretty Little Grub recently posted…2015 Goals ReviewedMy Profile

December 29, 2015 / 7:38 pm

Most definitely. If only it were super simple all the time!

2. December 29, 2015 / 9:12 am

I can totally see the parallels between the two, especially the dramatic shift/rock bottom that causes some (most?) people to turn it around. Great post Erin.
    Bri recently posted…My three goals for 2016My Profile

December 29, 2015 / 7:38 pm

Thanks Bri!!

3. December 29, 2015 / 11:29 am

“Also, I like brussels sprouts.” That was cute. 🙂 You’ve got so much experience and wisdom–I’m really glad you can share this stuff as I can just imagine how many people you are helping with these posts! So inspiring.
    Suzy recently posted…We Get (it) OnMy Profile

December 29, 2015 / 7:39 pm

Thanks Suzy! Hopefully the right people read it 🙂

4. December 29, 2015 / 1:50 pm

Loving this post so much, Erin! I don’t know much about dealing with addiction, but you are spot on with the healthy living parts. It really is such a journey. There will be ups and downs, and it helps when you realize and accept that eating healthy and exercising won’t feel like an amazing, transformative experience every day. Thanks for sharing this eloquent post!
    Beth @ Sublimely Fit recently posted…How to Start Running: 5 Top Tips to Help You Become a RunnerMy Profile

December 29, 2015 / 7:40 pm

Thanks Beth! Both definitely require a lot of work but they’re so totally worth it!

5. December 29, 2015 / 2:41 pm

Love this post. People forget or tend to underestimate how much hard work it actually takes. Some days are definitely easier than others, but it is absolutely worth it in the end.
    John recently posted…Build Mass Gain MuscleMy Profile

December 29, 2015 / 7:38 pm

Thanks so much John! It’s always a journey w ups and downs but as long as you know that going into it I think it makes it doable 🙂

December 29, 2015 / 7:40 pm

They’re so delicious. Thanks for reading Megan!

6. December 29, 2015 / 7:25 pm

I appreciate you laying out the parallels – I can totally see the similarities between the two!! The one that I try and stress the most to my clients is that it’s HARD WORK. Underline/bold/ those two words!!
    Jess @hellotofit recently posted…Hello to Fit’s Fitness CommandmentsMy Profile

December 29, 2015 / 7:41 pm

I knew you would appreciate that it’s a lifestyle and one that requires hard work and dedication!

7. lindsay
    January 2, 2016 / 6:33 pm

You know what? this is so true for any type of recovery. You need that support and to be open. Life long journey, yes. But you can do it! thanks for your willingness to share

January 3, 2016 / 7:44 pm

Thanks Lindsay!

8. January 3, 2016 / 8:28 pm

Recovery does take work – I am barely entering into recovery from an eating disorder and I constantly think of relapsing. Yet at the same time everytime I think of skipping a meal I think of my families faces the disappointment I would cause them if I went down that path again. It’s hard because my mind is telling me to do one thing yet my heart is telling me to do another. Such inspirational words you have shared – thank you so much!
    Katerina recently posted…Reasons To RecoverMy Profile

January 3, 2016 / 8:31 pm

I know how hard it is in early recovery. It’s definitely hard work but it sounds like you’re on the right track. If you ever need anyone to talk to, feel free to shoot me an email Katerina!