My Anti-Goals List for 2016

I’m not really one to set goals for the new year, much less write an entire post about them. The weeks leading up to January 1st are usually full of posts from people recapping and proclaiming both old and new goals as the year turns over. I love that people are reevaluating what is working and what’s not in their lives, but honestly I tend to skim those posts since personal goals are just that—personal.

I do take some time to think about the past year and what I would like to do differently, but I don’t really sit down and list specific goals. The span of an entire year is a long time for me, so when I do think of a goal, I try to break it down into a smaller time increment so that I’m able to get it done more effectively. If I give myself a year, I’m going to procrastinate like it’s my job.

In the spirit of making lists and setting goals for this new year, however, I decided to jot down a couple things that I’m aiming NOT to do as the year plays out. Let’s think of it as my anti-goals list for 2016.

Many people set resolutions for the new year. Rather than make a list of things I may or may not get done, I'm concentrating on what I DON'T want to do this coming year in my anti-goals list for 2016.

1. Settle for less than I deserve

For some reason, thinking that I deserved to be respected in both a personal and work environment didn’t come naturally to me until about a year ago. I was unable to set boundaries in both arenas of my life and I spent far too much time people-pleasing to take care of myself.

This left me feeling resentful and worn out. This year I will work on not letting myself be taken advantage of and I will understand my own worth to myself and others around me.

2. Force myself to choose an exercise I don’t love

I ran three half marathons in 2015. By the third one I didn’t know why I was doing it (aside from a free race entry) and when I was done I felt burned out from running. I’ve done small distances in my current workouts, but I haven’t gone out exclusively for a run since that race was finished. I wanted to run because I loved it so much for a number of years, but I think right now we need to take a little break.

Exercise isn’t just about forcing yourself to get out there and sweat it out, it’s about finding what type of exercise works best for YOU. You need to enjoy it and that’s why this year I’m going to rely more on the feedback from my body in deciding what workouts I do.

Related:

3. Ignore my feelings

I’m a master of compartmentalizing and diverting my feelings. Over time I’ve been able to figure out what and when I am feeling, but there are still times when life gets crazy and I don’t even realize I am pushing them away.

This year I’m working on not ignoring my feelings and paying attention to those physical reactions I have when a new feeling comes up.

4. Let fear control my life

My biggest obstacle is probably fear. For some reason I can conquer the fear associated with bigger things easier than the smaller ones. Fear for me usually means that I am stepping outside of my comfort zone and am on my way to something great.

I want to find more courage in the face of fear this year. Especially in the small things.

5. Lose sight of what’s important to me

This blog is important to me. Health and wellness are important to me. Making a difference is important to me. It’s easy for me to get so focused on the details of day to day life that I forget about the larger picture. I can get so focused on how much money I need to make or crossing off daily to-do lists that I lose sight of why I do all of these things in the first place.

This year I don’t want to lose that and will find a way to keep the bigger picture just as visible.

6. Forget that vegetables make me feel great

Generally, I eat pretty well. I have frequent green smoothies, dinners of baked chicken and veggies, and other healthy options. Then there are days where I explore the city and try finding the best donuts and cookies. I eat way too much mac ‘n cheese pizza. It’s all about balance, but sometimes the scale gets tipped one way for a bit too long.

I’m not saying I won’t still enjoy all the delicious food this city has to offer (otherwise what would go on my Instagram?), I’m saying that I won’t FORGET that vegetables make me feel great. It’s easy to forget how my body feels after eating clean for awhile, so remembering that by jotting down notes to myself or other cues will allow me to make a more educated decision.

• What’s one of your anti-goals for 2016?
  • Do you normally stick to your goals?

1. January 5, 2016 / 5:38 am

I love the idea of anti goals. I am definitely guilty of #1, something I plan to change this year, most likely finding a new job. I am also working on #4 for myself as well. I finished yoga teacher training in 2015 and although I have never been good at speaking in front of people, I do want to teach yoga and face that fear.
    Alicia recently posted…New Year’s 2016: MIMM #52My Profile

January 6, 2016 / 11:02 am

I can definitely relate to being nervous to get up in front of people to teach, but I promise it gets easier with time and soon you’ll be owning those classes!

2. January 5, 2016 / 5:55 am

I feel like fear is my biggest obstacle as well. I just signed up for nutrition school yesterday and am like what the heck am I doing? I should get a job. What am I going to do with this degree and who is going to hire me? I’m trying not to be scared but it’s still there. Fear is a hard battle!
    Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious recently posted…Five Things That Changed Me In 2015My Profile

January 6, 2016 / 11:03 am

Yay nutrition school! That’s awesome. I totally support you in that 🙂 Fear sucks and I’m always trying to get out ahead of it. Maybe I need to learn to embrace it and get on with things.

3. January 5, 2016 / 6:25 am

Fear is my biggest obstacle as well, but since I’ve been focusing on being fearless and confident (goals, not anti-goals!) I’ve noticed a massive shift. The whole not-give-a-**** attitude helps though 🙂 (which could be my anti-goal?)
    Bri recently posted…My one word for 2016My Profile

January 6, 2016 / 11:04 am

Yeah, not caring definitely helps put fear in it’s place. I need to get some more of that in my life.

4. January 5, 2016 / 6:57 am

Luckily for you, according to California, pizza is a vegetable 😀 Speaking of, lunch later this week? I’ll text you.
    Proud of you. I think you made some HUGE changes last year that are setting you up to truly believe in the Erin the I knew was there the first time that I met you.
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Christmas Gifts for a Running Coach aka Running BooksMy Profile

5. January 5, 2016 / 11:46 am

I love this list and the idea of making anti-goals. I actually just watched this interesting talk from Awesomeness Fest that was all about just how much accountability we cheat ourselves out of when we make grandiose goals (like resolutions). I do think resolutions are very personal and I do think one can be successful with the right systems in place, but I definitely think focusing on what you’re not going to do is great! I am with you on a few — especially settling and losing sight of what’s important to me. I let dust grow on my blog the last couple of months because I let so much anxiety about doing, doing, doing get in the way of what was truly important to me. It’s good to be back!
    Erin@BeetsPerMinute recently posted…Erasing Negativity: What’s Good in Your Life Right Now?My Profile

January 6, 2016 / 11:04 am

It’s good to see you back! And with another blog in tow!

6. January 5, 2016 / 7:27 pm

Loving your anti-goals. 🙂 I’m right there with ya with the veggies–I know I haven’t been eating them as consistently as I should, and it makes me feel like crap when I don’t. My eating schedule has been off with the holidays and friends visiting and I’m so looking forward to getting back to normal. I totally agree with not doing exercise you hate. Training for marathons was making me hate running, which is why I took last year to really cut back in my mileage and get over the burn out. It’s not worth working toward a goal if it makes you miserable.
    Beth @ Sublimely Fit recently posted…Mindset for the Running NoviceMy Profile

January 6, 2016 / 11:05 am

Totally. I did four miles of sprint intervals yesterday which helped break up the straight running and I enjoyed it but was also like ok, now I’m not going to do that again for a bit haha

January 6, 2016 / 11:06 am

Thanks for reading Ron!

7. January 8, 2016 / 9:22 am

Erin, I love these anti-goals! I can go a couple days without eating any vegetables, it’s terrible. My anti-goal will be to forget how happy I feel after doing consistent yoga.
    Jess @hellotofit recently posted…5 Ingredient Garlic Naan PizzaMy Profile

January 8, 2016 / 11:37 am

Yes! It’s so easy to forget those feelings. I’m hoping I can hold on to them more too