Why You Should Own More Than One Pair of Athletic Shoes

A girl can never have too many shoes, right? Personally, I’ve never been a huge collector of shoes and the thought of accessorizing different styles with different outfits makes me sleepy.

One area where I do make sure I have more than one pair of shoes, however, is fitness. I actually think that I could use even more, but let’s not go crazy. Different workouts require different needs, and you should always ensure that your choice of footwear is appropriate.

See why having more than one pair of athletic shoes is important for versatility and injury prevention!

1. Not all shoes are created equal

It should come as no surprise that different athletic activities require different types of shoes. The shoes I wear for running, for example, are very different from the ones I wear for high-intensity or strength workouts:

• HIIT/strength: Nike Fly Freeknit 4.0 (I’m OBSESSED)
  • Running: a neutral to mild stability shoe (for me; you may be different)

The reason why I don’t need as advanced of a shoe for strength training is because my feet stay in relatively the same position. In fact, minimalist shoes are preferred because proper form on some of those movements is impeded by shoes with a thick sole. You want to be as close to flat on the floor as you can. My Nike’s have been phenomenal, but sometimes when I am doing a HIIT workout with sprinting, they lack sufficient support. TIME FOR ANOTHER PAIR.

Nike Fly Freeknit 4.0

Whenever it is time for me to purchase a new pair of running shoes, I ALWAYS go to my local running store and get fitted. Even though I usually end up with the same results, I like to make sure that nothing has changed and that I’m still buying the correct type of shoe for my runs. A majority of my running shoes have been from Brooks, but if another brand feels better to me during that trial, I will purchase that. I’ve had shoes from Brooks, Mizuno, and Asics that have all served me well.

Even within the world of running there are multiple types of running. Trail running requires different support than street running. You may even have different shoes for long vs. short runs.

2. Extend the life of your shoes

By having more than one pair, you are able to make those pairs last longer. You won’t have to completely wear them out before replacing them. Sometimes a new shoe takes a little while to break in, so if you wear your old ones to the bitter end, it will mean that your only option is to break your new ones in. This could lead to discomfort or injury if they are your only option.

By having two pairs, you can mix up when and where you wear them so that both are ready to go whenever you need them. This also comes in handy if you get stuck in inclement weather and you need a dry pair!

Running Shoes

3. Your injury risk is lessened

Different shoes have different designs and stabilities, which means that when you use them, you will be activating different muscle groups. By focusing on a variety of muscles instead of the same ones over and over again, you put less stress on the body and reduce your risk of injury.

• Do you have more than one pair of athletic shoes?
  • What other reasons can you think of to do so?

1. February 10, 2016 / 5:09 am

Good points! For the first time in years, like maybe, 6 years? At least? I bought a different pair of shoes other than my regular Asics Nimbus! I bought the Brooks Launch and I really love them! They’re still neutral and comfy but just not as heavy. I’m really happy about this! So now I can rotate different *types* of shoes rather than just two different Nimbus (Nimbi? lol) shoes.
    Suzy recently posted…Woozy Wednesday: The Wrong Kind of FoamMy Profile

February 10, 2016 / 2:34 pm

Haha exactly. I felt like I should stick w brand loyalty but then realized that wasn’t for me and it was more about what felt right on my feet!

February 10, 2016 / 2:35 pm

Oh I know you prob have like 80

February 10, 2016 / 2:36 pm

Yay you’re welcome! I need to get another pair too I think 😉

2. February 10, 2016 / 8:46 am

This is something I need to do. I have multiple pairs of the same shoe so I’m really not changing up the muscle groups that I work.
    Jen @ Pretty Little Grub recently posted…Superdry Sport ReviewMy Profile

February 10, 2016 / 2:36 pm

Yeah girl you do all sorts of things!

3. February 10, 2016 / 9:13 am

when i first read the title i was like PERFECT, I always need more reasons to buy shoes hehe. I love having more than one or two especially for the reason that they last longer. And yes, I have a pair that I prefer to wear for squatting and another for HIIT circuits. But… i think you’ve convinced me that i need another pair anyway 😉
    Beverley @ sweaty&fit recently posted…Valentines Day Tight Core ChallengeMy Profile

February 10, 2016 / 2:37 pm

You and me both. I’m always on the lookout for more haha

4. February 10, 2016 / 10:09 am

Ha! If you saw my closet, you might die. I think I have close to 20 pairs of running/workout shoes. I rotate through them. My podiatrist recommended that when I had a stress fracture in my foot a few years ago. I obviously went a little crazy though. At least I won’t have to buy new shoes for awhile!
    Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious recently posted…WIAW…Sometimes You Have to Have Faith & ChopsticksMy Profile

February 10, 2016 / 2:37 pm

That sounds amazing. I’m sure you can coordinate w any outfit too!

5. February 10, 2016 / 10:23 am

This is really great advice that so many people overlook. Over the past year I’ve run in different brands of shoes and while I still can never seem to have a full rotation at the same time, I’m getting there!
    Janelle @ Run With No Regrets recently posted…Goals for the ZOOMA Run Love 10KMy Profile

February 10, 2016 / 2:38 pm

I think if I add one more into mine it’ll be perfect 🙂

6. February 10, 2016 / 11:32 am

I definitely need to get some other shoes. I have always loved running shoes for their support but what you are saying makes sense on rotating. It is definitely annoying to only have one pair and step in a puddle for instance.
    Alicia recently posted…Disney World 2016 Day 1My Profile

February 10, 2016 / 2:38 pm

I know! I was out in the snow the other day and it helped to have a backup to use

7. February 10, 2016 / 12:45 pm

I think this is a HUGE misconception that people have! I think at the very least you need to make sure your running shoe is being replaced regularly…but some people don’t even do that! I’ve been guilty of that for sure. Definitely time for me to do that too haha.
    Lauren @ i had a big lunch recently posted…Back in businessMy Profile

February 10, 2016 / 2:33 pm

I have too and it really screwed me up when I started running

8. Rhonda
    February 10, 2016 / 1:28 pm

What shoe would you recommend for a Senior who is doing cardio?

• Rhonda
      February 10, 2016 / 1:30 pm

I probably should add I have a bunion and hammer toes so normally go wide.

February 10, 2016 / 2:33 pm

I would definitely leave that up to the professionals. Most running stores will do an analysis for you. It depends on a variety of factors that they will be able to test and offer you the best recommendations. Plus it’s free!

February 11, 2016 / 5:06 pm

A lady never reveals how many shoes she owns

9. February 28, 2016 / 9:19 pm

Very practical and sound reasons as to why one should own more than a pair of athletic shoes! Informative and spot on!!!