Five Things Friday #81

Happy Friday friends!

Well, we’ve come to the end of another week. I’m still a little jumbled after the quick trip to San Diego, but I think I’ll pull it together this weekend. I got home at 1 am on Wednesday morning and have been back to the grindstone for the last three days of the week.

This weekend I’m coaching (along with three other coaches) a special advanced workout at Sweat that will incorporate harder movements and a live DJ. I’ll be taking the class when I’m not teaching my portion, so it should be pretty amazing!

Now, to wrap up the week, let’s take a look at five of my favorite things!

1. Being in Oxygen magazine

While I was waiting to fly home on Tuesday night, I spent some time in the airport bookstore. There’s just something about traveling that makes me want to pay more for books and magazines that I normally wouldn’t even read. Does this happen to anyone else?

I picked up the latest issue of Oxygen magazine and flipped to the back to see if by some miracle they featured one of my Instagram shots, something they do every month. Imagine my surprise when I found myself right smack in the middle!

I couldn’t believe I happened to pick it up and check. My subscription lapsed a month or two ago so it hasn’t really been on my radar. You know I bought it immediately.

Oxygen magazine

2. New workouts when traveling

If I have time, I love trying out new workouts when I travel. Since Neil was presenting on Tuesday, I had a solid few hours to play around La Jolla. I stopped in to a place called Hardcore Fitness that I had seen get some good reviews on Yelp.

I knew it was meant to be when they told me it was leg day — my favorite day ever. I was able to take it easy on my knee since there was no running, but my heart rate was up the whole time and I was drenched in sweat by the end.

Hardcore Fitness

I love my HIIT workouts for sure, but there’s something about going until your legs have trouble supporting you that gets me every time. I went as heavy as I could on all of these and I still can’t walk correctly today.

Hardcore fitness 2

3. New candles

I came home the other day to Neil burning a balsam-scented candle. Since it’s obviously not Christmas anymore, I asked him why he had it lit. He told me that he was trying to use up the mass of candles that we have in the closet (I had no part in that). I took that to mean we were running out of candles since he would have surely picked a season-appropriate scent if we had an abundance.

I stopped into Bath and Body Works and only left with two since there was a sale on 1-wick candles. I wanted lots of their newer scents, but settled on Wine Cellar and Gardenia for when it warms up and I can open the windows.

Only after I got home did I realize that I really wanted a magnolia candle instead of gardenia, so I’m planning on checking out your recommendations on where to get one since now I’m obsessed. MUST HAVE IT.

Bath and Body Works Candles

4. The Night Manager

*affiliate link

Weirdly enough, I saw previews for this AMC miniseries on Instagram of all places. It has both Tom Hiddleston and Hugh Laurie in it, both of whom I love. I grabbed the book to read on the flight (more airport purchases) since I like reading books before movies when I can.

It’s a spy thriller and so far the book is pretty good. I’m definitely looking forward to this miniseries later this month!

The Night Manager

5. She Did It Her Way Podcast

One of the podcasts I recently taped came out this week, so I thought I would share it with you guys in case you’re interested. It was a great time talking to Amanda and it felt comfortable since I’ve had the opportunity to hear her talk at a couple conferences I’ve been to in the last year. If you want to check it out, you can find it here!

SDIHW podcast

That’s it for this week guys. I hope you have a great weekend and I’ll catch up with you again on Monday!

• What’s one thing you are loving from this week?
  • Has your weather also been crazy?
  • What are you doing this weekend?

April 8, 2016 / 12:09 pm

Yeah girl adjusting is weird. I hope things are leveling out a bit for you. TELL ME ABOUT YOIR LIFE.

April 8, 2016 / 12:09 pm

I know it was a crazy week!

April 8, 2016 / 12:09 pm

I hope you find one! I’m lucky my building has a fitness center too in case I need to use one.

1. April 8, 2016 / 7:39 am

How cool to see your picture in a magazine. When I’m travelling is the only time I buy magazines. Nowdays with the articles on the internet I can’t justify the cost of buying them regularly but picking out a magazine at the airport is a fun thing to do to kill the time.
    Jen @ pretty little grub recently posted…Thinking Out Loud #64My Profile

April 8, 2016 / 12:10 pm

Yeah, that one was $6. I was like excuse me?

2. Hillary
    April 8, 2016 / 7:43 am

Aaron, I just listen to the podcast. I absolutely loved it! It was great to hear your story from your voice. Also, I’m a fitness instructor and could totally relate to your story yesterday. I have had the same thing happened to me and I’ve had to tell myself the same story. It’s them, not me people are enjoying class. Not everyone will love my style but that doesn’t make it bad.

I hope you don’t take this the wrong way, but it was really refreshing to hear that somebody else in the fitness world gets that sort of anxiety as well. It always seems like the others instructors take every class in stride and do a perfect job. But we’re all just trying to be better improve constantly and enjoy the class .fitness is supposed to be fun not anxiety provoking.

April 8, 2016 / 12:10 pm

Thanks for listening Hillary!! I’m so glad you got something out of it

3. April 8, 2016 / 9:55 am

Wow congratulations on the magazine and the podcast! We’ve had warm spring days and then really frigid winter temperatures and tomorrow its supposed to snow. ugh…spring weather!

How’s Wine cellar scent? Sounds great!
    Heather @ Polyglot Jot recently posted…Foodie Friday: Maple Roasted Acorn SquashMy Profile

April 8, 2016 / 9:09 pm

It’s good! I don’t really know how to describe it but it’s nice and warm on these weird snowy days

April 8, 2016 / 9:09 pm

I’m just interviewed on the podcast, it’s not mine. But it’s still a good one to check out!

April 8, 2016 / 9:09 pm

Right? Thank you!!

4. April 8, 2016 / 1:33 pm

So AWESOME that you were featured in Oxygen. You go grrrrl. Also love that Neil was trying to reduce the number of candles so you went out and bought more. Totally something I’d do and Jeff would be like, WHYYYY!?
    Rosey Rebecca recently posted…Currently: April 2016My Profile

April 8, 2016 / 9:10 pm

Haha yeah exactly. He saw the bag and was like WHAT DID YOU DO

5. April 8, 2016 / 4:34 pm

Congratulations on the picture! That’s a huge accomplishment and such a pleasant surprise 🙂
    Eilish recently posted…Thinking Out Loud |4.7.16My Profile

April 8, 2016 / 9:10 pm

I know! Thank you!!

6. April 8, 2016 / 5:18 pm

Great idea to try new workouts while traveling while most people probably make excuses not to do one at all. And that one sounds intense, I don’t think I’d be able to walk for quite awhile either! Have a great weekend.
    Patricia @Sweet and Strong recently posted…Total Body Cardio and Strength WorkoutMy Profile

April 8, 2016 / 9:11 pm

Yeah I think I may have overdone it just a bit haha

April 8, 2016 / 9:11 pm

Thanks Morgan!!

April 12, 2016 / 7:11 pm

Yeah totally. I may wait and watch the whole thing after it’s all come out! How’s FTWD?

April 12, 2016 / 7:20 pm

Thanks Jess!

7. April 12, 2016 / 1:19 pm

I’m so curious about The Night Manager. I didn’t know it was a book! I’m a fan of most of what AMC puts out so I think I’m going to have to watch it.
    Pragati // Simple Medicine recently posted…Spring FashionMy Profile

April 12, 2016 / 7:25 pm

I know. I’m pumped! I may wait till the whole thing is out before I watch it though. The book’s pretty good so far!