Five Things Friday #82

Happy Friday!

It’s the end of another week and I’ve got five more things to share with you. I’ve spent the past couple days taking care of Neil because he mysteriously came down with strep throat.

For people who don’t normally get sick, we actually made a trip to urgent care on Wednesday because he was in so much pain. I was prepared to wait forever, since growing up that was my experience in a small town urgent care, but we walked in, had no wait, and were out of there in literally 15 minutes. I’m so glad for the quick strep test that only takes minutes instead of hours/days like when I was growing up.

So he’s been resting and I’ve been feeling a cough come on, so everyone cross their fingers that I don’t catch it too. With the beautiful weather we are supposed to get this weekend, I don’t want to spend it cooped up inside!

Here’s a look at what I’m loving this week:

1. Purely Elizabeth Probiotic Granola

You all know that Purely Elizabeth is my favorite granola of all time. When they released their new probiotic line (and new flavors!), I immediately headed to Whole Foods to locate it. Sadly, it’s on limited release and not even available in IL yet. I wanted it so much that I ordered it off the website and even paid what came to another bag’s worth in shipping. My precioussssss.

The new line contains a probiotic strain called GanedenBC30, which has been shown to survive the baking process. Once inside, the probiotics become activated and help support immunity and digestive health. Both of these flavors are amazing and thankfully I made sure to grab a picture before I ate the entire bag(s).

Purely Elizabeth Probiotic Granola

2. New Bathing Suits

I have a giant bag FULL of bathing suits that I think I need, yet never actually wear. A number of them are also from Brazil and totally inappropriate to wear in the U.S., yet I always go through them and say “oh yeah, I’ll need this for when I’m sunbathing in a foreign country.”

So although I already own 325156747 bathing suits, I grabbed a couple more in my excitement for our trip to Mexico in June. I have trouble finding cuts that don’t make me look like a rectangle, but these two worked out pretty well. The black/white one is from Target and the green one is from Old Navy. Now I just have to go through my bag and actually get rid of some. Who needs bathing suits??

Bathing Suits

3. Cases of Kombucha

I’ve posted about kombucha numerous times, but I don’t know if I’ve mentioned that I keep buying it by the case because I drink it so often. Yesterday I took my fancy city cart with me to Whole Foods so I could grab another one, then spent time arranging them like this while feeding Neil soup. I promise I do work when I’m at home.

Gingerade Kombucha

4. Nofollow Post

Last Friday, a number of bloggers (myself included) received an email from Google warning us of unnatural links. Because of these “unnatural links,” Google is “discontinuing the trust in links on your site.” (insert wide-eyed emoji).Β This means that this site, as well as many others, will be penalized in the search rankings until the problem is remedied.

Links from companies that have paid you to write a post or that you benefit from in some way (think affiliate and referral links) need to be marked as “nofollow.” Last month, Google issued a warning that this will now also apply to merchandise exchanges. This means if you have been given a product for free, you now have to make sure those links are marked “nofollow.”

The ironic thing is that I wrote an entire post on nofollow links — what they are, why you need to use them, and how to manually add the code to your site. I have had several of merchandise in exchange for mention types of posts, so I had to go back through LOTS of posts in order to correct the links and then submit for a reconsideration which can take weeks. Wooooooooo!

If you are a blogger who does sponsored posts or uses affiliate links, make sure you read this post and label your links accordingly!

What-Are-Nofollow-links-and

5. Dehydrator

*affiliate link

I mentioned my new dehydrator a couple times over the past couple weeks, but I’ve finally had a chance to use it a couple different ways and this thing is AMAZING. The only issue is that now that I’ve dehydrated my dates, they are irresistibly delicious to me and now they’re almost gone. Seriously, I eat like 3 every time I’m in the kitchen (and that’s a lot). It also means my almond butter is disappearing exponentially faster.

I didn’t grab a picture of the final product from drying out my mixture of blueberries and apples, but they turned out really good and fresh. Neil also loved them and he doesn’t even eat that much fruit!

Dehydrator

The dehydrator I bought was this one from Amazon and only cost about $60. It comes with 5 trays you can LOAD up with fruit, meat, or whatever else you want to dry out. Dooooo it.

Dehydrated Dates

That’s all I’ve got for today! I hope you have a wonderful Friday and a great weekend. Is it finally spring where you live??

• Did anyone else get in trouble with Google?
  • How many bathing suits do you own?
  • Is there anything you eat/drink every day?

April 15, 2016 / 8:04 pm

Oh he cramped it alright

April 15, 2016 / 8:05 pm

I heard that as well in a couple FB groups I’m in. I wonder what’s up with that!

April 15, 2016 / 8:05 pm

Oh man eggs are so awesome

1. April 15, 2016 / 8:04 am

Probiotic granola- I must have! Good to know I’m not the only one that buys kombucha cases- you usually get 10% off too if you buy it by the case!
    Dietitian Jess recently posted…Favorite Things FridayMy Profile

April 15, 2016 / 8:06 pm

Totally! It’s much more cost effective but it’s just annoying to carry it back haha

2. April 15, 2016 / 8:19 am

Ugh, I feel like there are so many things I don’t know about blogging “legally.” Going to reread your post.
    I love that black & white suit – especially the top! I’m going to the beach in a couple weeks (with my parents and in-laws as well as husband), so I know a lot of my pre-baby suits aren’t going to work.
    Sigh…
    Hope Neil feels better and you avoid getting sick! ‘This the season, right?
    Catherine @ foodiecology recently posted…How I Became a Positive PersonMy Profile

April 15, 2016 / 8:08 pm

Yeah that top is what caught my eye. It almost reminds me of a workout top…in fact I actually wore it when I worked out in San Diego bc I forgot a sports bra!

3. April 15, 2016 / 10:58 am

Did anyone else get in trouble with Google? No, but I need to check my links and posts!
    How many bathing suits do you own? 1. I don’t feel comfortable in bathing suits.
    Is there anything you eat/drink every day? Water, PB and fennel seeds.
    Sana recently posted…How To Make Your Runs More Fun With Spring MovesMy Profile

April 15, 2016 / 8:09 pm

Fennel seeds-that’s definitely a unique one!

April 15, 2016 / 8:09 pm

Yeah and I saw a lot of people who got emailed as well! Lame.

4. April 15, 2016 / 11:48 am

Yup, totally got in trouble with The Google – I only wish I knew what links they didn’t like because I constantly use “no follow” links. *sigh*
    Those bathing suits are so cute! I lost/misplaced my favourite bathing suit last year and I’m heartbroken over it.
    Ange @ Cowgirl Runs recently posted…What it’s like to go from a size 4 to a size 8My Profile

April 15, 2016 / 8:10 pm

Yeah, if it’s checking for product compensation posts then that’s a lot to check out!

5. April 15, 2016 / 12:04 pm

Crossing my fingers for you that you’re not getting sick. Whenever Jeff is sick my paranoid mind tricks me into believing I’m getting sick too every time I sneeze or cough. So I hope it’s just your mind playing tricks on you.

My best friend got a dehydrator when we were in high school because she loved dried fruit so much. I might need to jump on the bandwagon.

I heard about that google email but I was surprised I didn’t get one. I did product reviews ALL the time when I was blogging back in 2009/10 and never used nofollow links. I’ve started to after reading your post and others but didn’t in the past so I’m stumped.

Love the kombucha tower. Reminds me of how a couple weeks ago when Jeff was sick I took a pic of his chicken noodle soup for IG before giving it to him. #BloggerProblems
    Rosey Rebecca recently posted…When Foodies Take On Asheville (Part Two)My Profile

April 15, 2016 / 8:11 pm

It’s super easy to make!

April 19, 2016 / 2:19 pm

I had to order it online since it’s not in stores here in IL yet

April 16, 2016 / 7:09 am

Bahaha you know what I mean! From the store that I can get on a regular basis πŸ™‚

April 19, 2016 / 2:20 pm

Ah sorry Maggie I was laid out from strep throat and am STILL coming back from it πŸ™

6. ali
    April 16, 2016 / 7:45 am

have you ever thought about making your own kombucha? i also drink a lot of it and now make my own. so easy…. and you get to have fun making new flavors!

April 19, 2016 / 2:22 pm

I have but I haven’t made that commitment yet. I had a friend who made her own so I used to have some of hers πŸ™‚

7. April 17, 2016 / 7:43 pm

I have heard of but haven’t tried Purely Elizabeth granola, those new flavors sound delicious. Those new bathing suits are adorable!
    Patricia @Sweet and Strong recently posted…Friday Favorites #3My Profile

April 19, 2016 / 2:23 pm

Oh you need to try it! It’s my favorite of all time!

April 19, 2016 / 2:23 pm