Five Things Friday #83

It’s Friday!

Don’t worry — even though yesterday’s post was a littler heavier than usual and being sick was such a crazy roller coaster experience, I’m quite alright. I still have a little congestion, but physically I’m much, much better. Even though mentally and emotionally it was an interesting experience, being able to talk about it and acknowledge what was happening allowed me to process and move through things faster than if I had hidden and kept everything to myself. So thank you guys for being here and being awesome as always!

Neil is finally back from out of town and there is nothing on our agenda for this weekend, so who knows what kind of shenanigans we will get into. You’ll have to check back on Monday to see! Until then, here are some of the things that I’m loving from this week.

1. Green Smoothies

I usually drink green smoothies on the regular, but because I add stuff and use blueberries as my fruit, they always come out turning purple or brown. Nice.

Since I wanted to get in as many nutrients as I could while I was sick, I switched out the blueberries for pineapple (my old go-to fruit), which blends nicer with things like apples, ginger, and turmeric. I always feel healthier just looking at them πŸ™‚

Green smoothie

2. The Night Manager on AMC

I mentioned that I was reading this book a couple weeks ago in a previous Friday post in preparation for the miniseries on AMC. It premiered on Tuesday, and so far I’m digging it. It may be because I love both Tom Hiddleston and Hugh Laurie, but I also think it’s because I like movies about spies. But also British accents.

In looking for an image, I realized that this already came out on BBC and sometime in February, so I’m pretty sure I can just find a way to watch the entire thing since I have no patience when it comes to these things. If you want to be a responsible citizen, it airs Tuesday nights at 10/9 c.

The-Night-Manager-poster

(source)

3. Tea Kettle

*affiliate link

I use my electric tea kettle almost daily, but this week it has been a lifesaver. All I have to do it fill it with water, push a button, and boiling water is ready in just a couple minutes.

I tried using a regular tea kettle on the stove while we were in Malibu and I was almost laughed out of the kitchen as I fumbled over filling it up, knowing when it was done, and then spilling boiling water as I tried to pour it. As much as I’d like to look fancy and sophisticated, a stove kettle is just not for me.

We don’t have anything fancy, just this kettle from Aroma which we’ve had since we started dating almost 5 years ago and it’s still going strong.

Aroma Tea Kettle

4. Health

Probably pretty cheesy, but it’s easy to take things for granted. Being sidelined meant I couldn’t exercise, be as productive as I’d like, and a bunch of other frustrating things. Now that I’m feeling better, it’s made me realize how important it is to protect what I have and try to live a healthy life.

Even being ABLE to do things like exercise is something that I take for granted a lot, so I’ve been making notes of those things during this week and reminding myself that I am lucky and blessed to be able to live the way I do. #gratitudelist

5. SHAIR Podcast

The last podcast I did is up and available for listening! This one was a little different in that it is a recovery-focused podcast, so while I do talk about life and the blog, there is a little more talk about how I got into and how I maintain my recovery.

shair podcast

Bonus lovings:

• What’s one of your favorite things from this week?
  • What should I do this weekend?
  • What’s your favorite accent?

April 25, 2016 / 7:49 pm

Duhhhh

April 25, 2016 / 7:50 pm

I definitely think I did just that. I’m still waiting for my appetite to be back to 100 though

1. April 22, 2016 / 8:11 am

YES to British accents. I studied in London 11 years ago and I still find a way to bring it into conversation…and dream of British accents.
    Pineapple is THE best and I am planning to get my fill this week on vacation. Woot!
    Catherine @ foodiecology recently posted…An Ode to My β€œMom Bod”My Profile

April 25, 2016 / 7:50 pm

Oh that’s magical. I would love that. Hope you eat a lot of pineapple for me!!

2. April 22, 2016 / 9:37 am

mmm i think i need to try your pineapple/ginger/turmeric smoothie. usually i use bananas, but im always looking for new combinations! and i seriously need a kettle like that. right now i have this cheap ikea one that i put on the stove and it whistles. it takes AGES, Erin. Ages.
    Beverley @ Born to Sweat recently posted…Weekly Workout Wrap Up + The Sweat Series GiveawayMy Profile

April 25, 2016 / 7:51 pm

I used to use bananas all the time then I had to take a break! Oh yes girl you need one of those kettles for sure.

April 25, 2016 / 7:51 pm

Totally! I need to try and remember it more often!

3. April 22, 2016 / 1:02 pm

That smoothie looks delicious! I could easily have a smoothie for every meal of the day. I need to try making one green one a day as I usually (always) just make chocolate protein smoothies.

April 25, 2016 / 7:52 pm

I always want to make different kinds but I always end up using lots of greens and they usually just turn purple or dark most of the time haha

4. April 22, 2016 / 3:18 pm

That’s the same kettle we have in our apartment. It’s quick and easy to use and we love it. Your smoothie looks amazing and I’m so excited to be able to use a blender this summer and try it πŸ˜€ Listening to the podcast now! Have a great weekend!
    Ellen @ My Uncommon Everyday recently posted…Five Friday Favorites 04/22/16My Profile

April 25, 2016 / 7:53 pm

Thanks for listening (and reading)! Isn’t it the best kettle?

5. April 22, 2016 / 7:35 pm

looking forward to listening to the podcast!

favorite things of this week: snack: combat crunch cinnamon twist bars for an on the go snack…ALWAYS smoothies! (yum) – read: Crash the Chatterbox loving the SUNSHINE here in the midwest and looking forward to summer… tv: loving the voice πŸ™‚

April 25, 2016 / 7:53 pm

Thanks marti hope you liked it! I need to check out ALL of those!

April 25, 2016 / 7:54 pm

I know they’re all pretty magical aren’t they?

April 25, 2016 / 7:54 pm

Oh yeah that’s a good one too!

6. April 23, 2016 / 10:25 pm

Oo looking forward to listening to the podcast(s)!
    I think Irish may be slowly taking over my british accent preference…
    Glad you are feeling better and hope you continue to get back to yourself over the weekend!
    Cora recently posted…Friday Top 3 (#1)My Profile

April 25, 2016 / 7:54 pm

Irish is a great one too. I think I just love them all haha

7. April 25, 2016 / 9:29 pm

Hugh Laurie is freaking amazing!! I haven’t heard of that show, so thank you!! We’re still traveling in China, and it has been a super interesting experience.
    Jess @hellotofit recently posted…Fresh Pear Ginger SmoothieMy Profile

April 26, 2016 / 9:53 pm

I know it looks amazing! I can’t wait to hear about it!

April 28, 2016 / 6:56 pm

Yesssss. They’re the best!

8. May 24, 2016 / 2:21 pm

Looking forward to hearing your Podcast. There are so many accents that I love, really it’s too hard to pick a favorite. Keep up the good work!

May 24, 2016 / 8:12 pm

Thanks Karla! Let me know what you think!