How To Stay Productive When You’re Sick

Well, I am on day 7 of this illness and finally on the upswing.

Luckily, this week wasn’t too busy so I was able to take some downtime and rest it out. I wasn’t able to teach on Monday and only taught one of my classes yesterday, but I do feel like I’m getting better. I didn’t realize how much I do in one day until I wasn’t able to do any of it. I felt incapable, bored, and unsettled. I knew that I needed to rest, however, so I tried to find some ways to make me feel productive even though I wasn’t doing much of anything at all.

I wanted to get a post up today so you knew I was alive and this is what my brain came up with. Here are 5 ways I tried to be productive even though I was sick.

5 ways that I managed to stay productive while I was sick.

1. Read

I did watch my fair share of TV and movies, but after awhile I felt like I was being sucked into the television and would never return. I made sure to turn it off and grab a book to read, which made my mind feel far more exercised than it did while watching television.

2. Eat

We all know how much I like to eat. Sadly, I seem to have lost my appetite from being sick and also from not working out for a week. I made sure to eat something even though I had no desire to, and even ordered sushi for delivery on Monday night. Interacting with the delivery man helped reassure me that the world hadn’t been overrun by zombies.

3. Take a shower

Taking a shower was a big step. I felt drained and gross after sneezing all over myself for most of the day. Sidenote: I do LOVE to sneeze though.

4. Clean up as you go

I went through an entire box of tissues in 24 hours. I knew that if I left them scattered everywhere, I would wake up the next day and look around in horror at my living conditions. I made sure to throw as much trash away as I could before I went to bed at night.

5. Plan everything you will do when you can move again

I don’t know how productive this actually was, but I made sure to plan everything that I would do as soon as I was better. Most of it involved sterilizing everything in the house and washing every surface. I felt energized just thinking about all the things I wasn’t doing.

• When was the last time you were sick?
  • How long do you think I can stretch out this sickness as a topic?

April 21, 2016 / 8:03 am

I don’t know! I still have some congestion today but thankfully I can function

April 21, 2016 / 8:04 am

I know-this has been a week now!

1. April 20, 2016 / 7:18 am

Here I’m thinking, “write 10000 blog posts and comment on other blogs and do your taxes…” I was sick yesterday and tried to rest but felt ended up doing freelance work and taxes. I feel guilty about just resting, is that bad?? I wish I read this yesterday, haha! Hope you get better soon!
    Bri recently posted…Workout Wednesday: A lazy, post-vacation (or post-illness) workoutMy Profile

April 21, 2016 / 8:04 am

Haha I totally would have if I could have moved off the couch!

2. April 20, 2016 / 5:07 pm

Sneezing is the BEST! Though, if you’ve ever heard me sneeze, it may have come with a side of heart attack.

Recovering from the flu in February was brutal. I had no energy to even read and I felt so useless. I think I went through at least 2 boxes of Kleenex, too. Ridiculous.
    Ange @ Cowgirl Runs recently posted…Why It Isn’t Necessary to Workout in the MorningMy Profile

April 21, 2016 / 8:05 am

Oh good I’m glad someone else shares my love of sneezing!

April 21, 2016 / 8:05 am

Thanks Sara! I’m allllmost there!

3. April 20, 2016 / 7:02 pm

awww man I hope you feel better! The shower always helps me when I’m feeling terrible. It helps when you’re tired and achey, etc. Showering can be a life changer!
    Heather @ Polyglot Jot recently posted…Link Love: Healthy LivingMy Profile

April 21, 2016 / 8:06 am

Totally. It was good to feel clean again!

4. Mudita
    April 20, 2016 / 9:35 pm

Geez, this thing keeps hanging on!! I hope it goes away soon, so you can get back to the things you love to do! Feel better!!

April 21, 2016 / 8:06 am

Thank you! All that’s left now is some congestion so it’s not terrible

5. July 7, 2016 / 12:34 am

I actually searched “how to stay productive when sick” that I ended up here. I’m actually sick as well and rushing a project for a client right now and I read articles such as yours to give myself a little “me time” moment. Very timely. I’m forcing myself right now but our weekend’s just around the corner. I’ll take every opportunity I can get to rest from there. Haha. Anyway, delightful read. Thanks for this, Erin. ๐Ÿ™‚

July 7, 2016 / 7:31 am

Thanks so much for reading Jason! Yup, make sure to take the time to rest when you can. It’s hard when we’re used to going and working all the time, but so important to be able to get back to healthy quicker. Almost the weekend…feel better soon!!

6. October 17, 2016 / 7:28 pm

Oh girl! I feel for you. I hope youโ€™re feeling better soon. Getting sick as you get older, seems like it always takes longer to recover.

October 19, 2016 / 8:25 pm