Chicago Food Truck Fest and Rest

Happy Monday!

How was your weekend? Mine was great because my donut ice cream sandwich mission was accomplished. Photographic evidence:

Stan's Donut Gelato Sandwich

Let’s back up to Saturday morning. Since I still manage to wake up between 6 and 7 on the weekends, I got to enjoy a long, leisurely morning. I had tickets to the Chicago Food Truck Festival, but the gates didn’t open until 11 am.

Friday night on my way home from teaching, I stopped into Lululemon because I had seen this bra and impulsively NEEDED it in my life.

Truth be told, I was feeling discouraged about my back and wanted to buy something to cheer me up (always the best motivation for frivolous purchases).

Anyway, even with my instructor discount it was about $50 and by the time I got home I already regretted it. I’m willing to pay more for exercise pants, but I don’t really have a reason to spend so much on a single sports bra. I decided to return it and check out Forever 21 because they have much cheaper options and a lot of unique styles.

I stopped into the store Saturday morning before heading to the festival and tried on a couple. They have so many different ones that I got overwhelmed and will have to go back later when I’m in more of a shopping mindset.

Forever 21 fitness

Neil and I hopped on the train and headed down to the festival, which was held in the South Loop at McCormick Place. The street was blocked off and there were tons of trucks.

Chicago Food Truck Festival

I hung out with the Beavers Donuts mascot. Props to him since it was HOT outside.

Chicago Food Truck Festival 2

It was so hot, in fact, that we made one pass of everything, found one thing to get, and ended up leaving. My choice was this conewich: a cone made out of bread and filled with pork, bacon, mac and cheese, and BBQ sauce.

Chicago Food Truck Festival Conewich

On our way back to the train we stopped at Fruve’ xPress for one of their pitaya bowls because it’s my favorite smoothie bowl place in the city and I’m not down there very often. I got a combination that had mint in it and it was incredibly refreshing on such a hot day.

Fruve Juice Express

We headed home, but soon after I headed back to Oak Street Beach to take advantage of the sun. My Mexican tan is already fading and I don’t like it one bit.

Apparently everyone else had the same idea.

Oak Street Beach Chicago

I headed home, Neil and I hung out, and movies were watched.

Sunday morning I had to teach class, so I headed to Sweat. Unfortunately, my back doesn’t seem to be much better. I made an appointment at Trifactive, the sports injury place I went to a couple weekends ago, but the soonest I can get in isn’t until Wednesday. Until then, ibuprofen it is.

After teaching, Neil and I headed to Wicker Park to grab burgers at Small Cheval, the sister restaurant to Au Cheval, one of the most popular burger places in all of Chicago.

The pride parade was this weekend and as much as I celebrate it, I just can’t handle those crowds, so we went the opposite way in search of food. For everyone who went, I hope you had a great time and all the pictures looked like so much fun!

They had Fresca, which I hadn’t had in so long. SO GOOD.

img_1102

The menu is very no-frills. You order a hamburger or cheeseburger. That’s it. You can get it “house style,” which is with dijonnaise, pickles, and onions.

I got mine house style minus pickles and plus bacon. MMM.

Small Cheval

We grabbed ice cream on the way home, then did some grocery shopping and hung out at home the rest of the night. I took a two hour nap since I’m just trying to rest my back when I have the chance and watched some crime shows on ID network. SUPER exciting end to the weekend, but relaxing nonetheless.

I hope you all had a great weekend and are kicking off this week on a great note!

• What did you do this weekend?
  • What’s the best thing you ate?
  • What’s your week looking like?

June 27, 2016 / 7:18 am

Oh yeah I remember you saying that. I hadn’t had it in so long. Love.

June 27, 2016 / 7:19 am

That sounds delicious! Send some my way 🙂

1. June 27, 2016 / 8:37 am

That conewich sounded like a great choice. I love food trucks. They have some of those festivals here but they charge to get in. I can’t understand needing to pay to get to food trucks where I have to pay for the food. So I don’t go on principle.
    Jen @ Pretty Little Grub recently posted…Weekend Recap – A weekend of rechargingMy Profile

June 27, 2016 / 10:55 am

Haha yeah that doesn’t make any sense

2. June 27, 2016 / 8:43 am

I’m with ya on the crowds… there was a big parade to celebrate the Cavs’ win last week, and even if it were a little closer, I can’t imagine actually going. And I have so much love for Au Cheval (and their bacon). I need to head back there.
    Ellen @ My Uncommon Everyday recently posted…(Paleo) Double Chocolate Chip CookiesMy Profile

June 27, 2016 / 10:55 am

That bacon is LEGIT.

June 27, 2016 / 5:33 pm

Me too. Especially that nap.

3. June 27, 2016 / 6:40 pm

Hope your back issues get resolved soon- Hurry up, Wednesday!

They’ve just opened a food truck concept in one of the malls here, but it’s always overcrowded! You made a wise choice though- That sounds delihhhh. Also, Chicago walls/buildings are a food backdrop dream haha!
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…A day in my Melbourne backyardMy Profile

June 27, 2016 / 9:00 pm

The ones in Mexico were amazing. I wanted to buy more food just so I could use their walls haha

4. June 27, 2016 / 7:53 pm

Love that almond butter shirt Erin! I love leisurely mornings on the weekends. Sunday mornings are the best because I can just sit and relax with a good cup of coffee then head to church without worry of the things I have to do. Best thing I ate this weekend was mango berry nice cream or a bagel with honey walnut cream cheese!
    Alyssa recently posted…Mental Health Monday 6/27/16: Recovery WritingsMy Profile

June 27, 2016 / 9:01 pm

Those sound like delicious eats! Man, Sundays we also had to go to 8 am mass and I was like whyyyyyy

June 27, 2016 / 9:01 pm

Definitely. It was super sweet!

5. June 27, 2016 / 8:46 pm

I hear ya on the Lululemon bras! It’s hard to pay full price on them. I have picked up a few tanks from Forever 21 and really like them for working out! This weekend, I went on a nice long hike Saturday and got in a long run Sunday. Lots of sunshine, good food. No complaints! 🙂
    Danielle @ Wild Coast Tales recently posted…Portland Marathon Training Recap: Week 2/17My Profile

June 27, 2016 / 9:02 pm

Sounds like a great weekend. Yeah, I get most of my lulu tops used online and I’m gonna have to get more bras from forever 21!

June 28, 2016 / 9:13 am

I know. It’s madness. If I actually had support issues and needed to spend that much for a quality bra that’d be one thing but I can pretty much wear whatever haha

June 30, 2016 / 7:41 pm

Thanks for reading!

6. June 30, 2016 / 7:44 pm

Crowds… I love people, but I just am not good with big crowds. However, all the eats you got to have look amazeballs. 🙂 That burger at the end; sometimes simple is the VERY best. My dad says that with a restaurant you take one thing and make it REALLY good and people will keep coming back for more and more. I hope your back feels better. Did you injure it recently? That conewich looked like an amazing choice… I love your Instagram for all the eeeattss that you post on there. They always make me want to eat the screen.
    Emily recently posted…TOLT: Why Food Helped My RecoveryMy Profile

June 30, 2016 / 10:01 pm

I’m not good w crowds either for sure. I hurt it right after I got back from Mexico so it’s been over a week now. It’s getting better but it’s super frustrating.