Five Things Friday #89

Hey guys! Happy Friday!

I’m coming to you today from the NOW Foods factory where I’ll be enjoying a PACKED day of fitness, touring, and learning all about the company and the products they produce. Look for a recap next week since I can already tell I’m going to have a lot to share with you!

The trip ends today, so I’ll be heading back to Chicago to spend the weekend with a friend who is visiting. That means Monday’s post will likely be filled with even more food adventures than normal (if that is even possible).

Without further ado, here’s this week’s Five Things Friday!

1. Straw Propeller Oatmeal

One of my client graciously gave me a pumpkin pie flavor of Straw Propeller oatmeal and did such a good job of selling it to me that after I tried it, I bought 12 more. These oatmeals are gluten-free and come in some AMAZING flavors.

The best thing about buying the sampler pack is that you can choose each individual flavor you want to make up your 12. I just got one of each so I could try them all. I also got some of their museli and they have savory oatmeal flavors as well if you’re looking to get adventurous with some Indian curry oatmeal.

Straw Propeller Oatmeal

2. NOW Foods Event

Granted, most of the event with NOW Foods and Fitfluential happens today, but I’ve been so excited about it all week that I’m going to include it here. I remember when I started this blog and reading recaps of blogging events. I always wanted to go to one and being given this opportunity is so awesome.

Again, I’ll make sure to give you a full recap next week, but for right now just imagine all the crazy blogging parties going on over here.

Fit Fluential Now Foods

3. HP Spectre 360

This week I finally got a new laptop! I haven’t really needed one since I have a gap in the middle of the day and am able to come home and get most of my blogging work done. I won’t have as much time in the middle of the day anymore, however, since I have a new opportunity starting up this month as the Midwest manager of Benefitness, a corporate fitness provider, meaning that most of my lunch hours will be spent teaching classes and getting work done on site.

I used to bring my Surface whenever I needed to go on trips, but it is the slowest thing ever made and makes me so angry that I decided to invest in an actual laptop. I’m an Apple girl on everything else, but computers always have to be Windows for me. I wanted a giant screen since I’m so used to my monitor at home and I wanted it to be as light as possible and this Spectre 360 fit the bill. So far so good!

HP Spectre 360

Here’s a shot from this week when I parked it at the fancy 2-story Starbucks near my work.

Starbucks Work

4. Pool time

For some reason, my building decided to repair some pool issues right at the start of Spring, so the pool is out of commission for another month. The only way out onto the sundeck is through said pool. Soooo, yeah, I’m not pleased about it.

I got to the NOW event super early to take advantage of the beautiful weather and spent two glorious hours soaking up as much sun as I could. Now I’m getting excited for our Mexico trip in two weeks!!

Pool

5. Spoken Cafe

I post pretty regularly about this place on Instagram, so I figured I would include it on here as it’s definitely somewhere I eat once a week (or more).

Spoken Cafe is located in the Ravenswood neighborhood and the only reason I go there regularly is because I have a client nearby. I have never gotten the same sandwich twice, which is super weird for me, but they have all been so good that I want to give each one a fair shot.

Seriously, their ciabatta bread is the best I have ever had and is the perfect combination of toasted and soft. I absolutely hate when bread tears my mouth apart, and this has never happened here. Wooooo sandwiches!

Spoken Cafe

Well, that’s it for this week. I hope you all have an AMAZING weekend and that your weather is perfect. See you on Monday!

• What are you doing this weeekend?
  • Do you like sandwiches?
  • What oatmeal flavor should I try next?

1. June 3, 2016 / 5:33 am

Indian Curry Oats sounds amaaaaazing. I honestly would just close my eyes and choose one at random. Otherwise, I don’t know how you will pick! YAS for finally getting to spend time with you!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Five Common Fitness MythsMy Profile

June 6, 2016 / 10:50 am

You WOULD like curry oats

June 6, 2016 / 10:50 am

Yay! So much fun!

June 6, 2016 / 10:50 am

I had to order mine but I’ll repost back on the most delicious 🙂

2. June 3, 2016 / 7:46 am

All those oatmeal flavors sound delicious, I wouldn’t even know how to choose! Enjoy the blogging event, I am going to my first even in July and am so excited! Love all of Now foods products too 🙂
    Patricia @Sweet and Strong recently posted…Friday Favorites 6/3My Profile

June 6, 2016 / 10:51 am

Are you going to Blogfest or Fitbloggin? If so say hi!!

3. June 3, 2016 / 8:01 am

HI!
    So after hearing you talk about this oatmeal last week, I was in Florida over Memorial Day Weekend and the hotel ice cream/breakfast place had it! So I made the family try and it is yummy. We are boring and love the maple flavor! I can’t get it locally yet but will definitely order some!

We are trying to stay cool this weekend with excessive heat warnings. 116 degrees tomorrow!

Have a great time the NOW event.
    Lauren recently posted…Friday Favorites–But on a Monday!My Profile

June 6, 2016 / 5:59 am

That’s so cool! I had to order it bc I can’t really find it here in Chicago. And don’t worry, I love maple too. Sometimes the basic ones are the best!

June 6, 2016 / 10:51 am

Oh man they’re all so delicious!

4. June 3, 2016 / 8:27 am

I’m the world’s biggest oatmeal fan (not a competitive category, shockingly) so let me know what you think of these! That Starbucks wouldn’t happen to be on State St., would it? I wandered in there the other day on my way home. Vino, multiple stories, and weekly coffee tastings? So Gold Coast. Have a great weekend lovely!

Cheers,
    Rachel
    wayfaringrachel.com
    Rachel recently posted…Beatrix and Exhale – Crunches and BrunchesMy Profile

June 6, 2016 / 10:52 am

Yeah it’s the one up there! It’s too fancy for me haha

5. June 3, 2016 / 9:25 am

I think I’m going to have to try those oatmeals – they sound so tasty!
    I love sandwiches because they’re a blank canvas for ANYthing (much like salad or pizza crust). And I’m with you on the hate for mouth-scratching bread!
    Have a great weekend!
    Catherine @ foodiecology recently posted…Top 3 Friday #3My Profile

June 6, 2016 / 10:52 am

Basically bread products are amazing haha

June 6, 2016 / 10:53 am

Come over and try some! Haha

6. Lexie
    June 3, 2016 / 11:15 am

To bad the oatmeal has sugar. I am strict sugar free everything. The bread is a big No , I don’t eat it. Gluten Free only!!!! The event sounds fun, enjoy.

June 6, 2016 / 10:53 am

Oh yeah that makes it tough then. They’re GF but do still have sugar

7. June 3, 2016 / 11:39 am

I love EVERYTHING on your list!
    And?! I just got myself a US PO box (it’s 3 hours away from me, but still) so I can FINALLY order some goodies that will only ship to the US. WHEE!

I LOVE that you’re eating your way through the sammich menu!
    Ange // Cowgirl Runs recently posted…Hello June! My Goals for the MonthMy Profile

June 6, 2016 / 10:54 am

OMG what a great idea! The 3 hrs maybe not so much but good thinking!

June 6, 2016 / 10:55 am

Yay! You’re doing all kinds of awesome things!!

8. June 3, 2016 / 4:42 pm

Yay for pool time! I’m loving hearing about all the bloggers that are at the NOW foods event. I’m kind of salivating over the food virtually. I’ve never seen that oatmeal anywhere, but I would love to try some. Oatmeal is one of my favorites. And your sandwiches? They are always on point.
    Emily recently posted…Why Recovery Isn’t About the FoodMy Profile

June 6, 2016 / 10:56 am

I can’t take credit for them since that cafe does such a good job but they’re definitely delicious!

9. June 3, 2016 / 6:35 pm

have FUN! wish I could come hang with you. Spoken cafe… love that name and all those sammies. Like whoa!

June 6, 2016 / 10:56 am

I know! And I wish you could have come too!!

June 6, 2016 / 10:57 am