Burger Fest Weekend Recap

Hellooooo Monday!

Today I’m banging out a 12 hour day to fit in clients and classes that I won’t be able to see later in the week because I’ll be in LA. WOOT! This week is Blogfest in LA, so I’m headed out Wednesday afternoon to stay with Neil’s brother’s family in Santa Monica.

You’ve probably seen plenty of exploits from CA over the years, so you know that I love going out there to visit. I’m super excited to see old (and new!) blog friends as well as spend time with family.

Before we get on to new adventures, here is a quick recap from this weekend.

Saturday I had a progress appointment at Trifactive and I was cleared to work out and only have to come a couple more times!! I plan to work out tomorrow if scheduling works, which will make it a month since I’ve been able to break a sweat. OMG it’ll be great.

After my appt, I met up with a blog reader who was in the city for the morning. We grabbed coffee, talked fitness, and had an awesome 30 min or so before I had to go teach a class at Sweat.

Mariano Park Bowtruss

I headed home, took a nap, painted my nails, and watched cartoons with Neil. It’s an exciting life we lead.

We decided we wanted steak for dinner, so we went to Mariano’s, which is a bit of a walk from our place. Why we decided to head towards Millenium Park on a Saturday in the summer I have no idea, but I bought lots of unnecessary things and also carried out my creepy ritual of hanging out at dog parks sans dog.

img_1365

Saturday night we rewatched What We Do In The Shadows, which is a hilarious vampire documentary. I don’t really know how to describe it beyond that. It’s great.

Sunday we headed to Burger Fest in Roscoe Village. We got there right when it opened to avoid the crowds, which also meant we had first go at all the burgers.

Roscoe Village Burger Fest

Neil and I split a couple of sampler-sized burgers so that way we could get as many in as we could. We ended up with three.

Fatso's Last Stand

This burger won the critic’s choice award the previous day. Honestly, I can’t remember what was on it, but it was spicy and amazing and it was a good thing we saved it for last.

VPT Burger

I wanted to make sure that I saved room for THIS. A stand called Doughy Delights offers three options: eggless cookie dough, cookies, and ice cream. You can then mix and match everything. You can just get the dough, the cookies, or combine flavors and things.

I asked them to give me a sandwich of cookie dough AND ice cream, which was previously unheard of. They then put it in a cup for me and told me not to bother trying to pick it up to eat. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

img_1412-1

We headed home and I made almond butter and took more creepy selfies.

img_1389

Wrote workouts for the week, scheduled emails, and did some light reading.

img_1408

Then I happened to see a picture of ceviche on TV and I needed it IMMEDIATELY.

We tracked some down and then since we were already out, I finally got the sundae I’ve been toying with getting for about three weeks at Ghirardelli. I dream about this whipped cream.

Ghirardelli

Dinner went completely opposite from the smoothie and yogurt I was planning on having, but sometimes you just have to embrace the delicious moment.

That’s it for this weekend — I hope yours was amazing and I’ll be back to talk soon!

• What’s the best thing you did this weekend?
  • What’s the best thing you ate?

1. July 11, 2016 / 5:53 am

I ate mostly carbs this weekend. Great carbs, but lots of them. I legitimately thought I saw you running when I was running on the path on Saturday. I did a double take and everything, and then was like naaaahhhh, that would be crazy. But I am glad that you are cleared to workout again! Even when I couldn’t do cardio, I still went and lifted. Luckily, you stay pretty busy!
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…One Amazing Summer Weekend (Carbtervention)My Profile

July 11, 2016 / 7:28 am

Haha yeah that would have been funny. It was pretty nice weather for running though in the mornings!

July 11, 2016 / 7:28 am

Good, that’s just as important. Hope you’re feeling better!

July 11, 2016 / 8:35 am

Ha I threw it back in the bowl and used a spoon

July 11, 2016 / 11:40 am

Yes, pretty much. Although I do love burgers hahaha. See you soon!!

2. July 11, 2016 / 10:46 am

Those burgers all look SO good! And that sundae…wow you had the food of my dreams! Looks like the perfect weekend ๐Ÿ™‚ I don’t think anything I ate can top any of your food!
    Gretchen recently posted…Seawheeze Half Marathon Training Week 5My Profile

July 11, 2016 / 11:40 am

Man that sundae on Sunday (ha) was the stuff of dreams!!

3. July 11, 2016 / 10:54 am

That ice cream sandwich looks like something out of my dreams. And Sherlock Holmes books are so good! I have a ridiculously thick first volume of the stories, and while I haven’t made it all the way through (or close…), they always make me happy.
    Ellen @ My Uncommon Everyday recently posted…Paleo(ish) Works for Me. What Works for You?My Profile

July 11, 2016 / 11:41 am

Absolutely. It was such a nice and relaxing thing to do this weekend!

4. Samantha
    July 11, 2016 / 12:26 pm

That cookie dough/ice cream / cookie dough sandwich (Ha. omg) looks amazing!
    What We Do In The Shadows is such a great movie. “Totally great” ๐Ÿ™‚

July 11, 2016 / 1:00 pm

OMG isn’t it amazing?? I laugh so much every time.

5. July 11, 2016 / 12:33 pm

Can I say that eating these burgers and ice cream with my eyes was really tasty? ๐Ÿ˜€ Well, I had so many Perfect Bars, and I loved them. ๐Ÿ™‚ Sherlock Holmes is my favorite! You have mastered putting together the sandwiches and holding them up for a picture. Love it!
    Emily recently posted…Why โ€˜Every Life Mattersโ€™ Is Not A LieMy Profile

July 11, 2016 / 1:00 pm

I love perfect bars. Thanks for reminding me to grab some!!

6. July 11, 2016 / 12:54 pm

I was at the Burger Fest too, but on Saturday! I only had one burger … I’m sad I didn’t go your route and try multiple. Fun times!

The best thing I did this weekend was sitting in my bed for a few hours (on my birthday) watching TV, reading and ordering groceries online. Sometimes ya just gotta be lazy for a day ๐Ÿ™‚
    Michelle B recently posted…A Week of FirstsMy Profile

July 11, 2016 / 1:01 pm

Happy belated birthday! I have to have a period of being lazy in my weekend or I feel too frazzled for the week!!

7. Jordan Leigh
    July 11, 2016 / 3:24 pm

Your blog is my favorite. I mean goodness You are just so real and authentic. I love that even though you haven’t been able to work out you still don’t restrict yourself. Everyone these days (especially in the blogging world) seem to equate working out with earning food. You are just a breath of fresh air and so lovely โค๏ธ

July 11, 2016 / 3:57 pm

AHHH that’s the sweetest thing! Thank you so much for saying that. I did do a physical assessment that told me I need to lose 0.9 lbs today though. Too many sundaes!

• Jordan Leigh
        July 11, 2016 / 4:00 pm

SERIOUSLY?! 0.9 lbs. That’s just silly lol Bet you ten bucks it’s just water weight from the burgers and what not.

July 11, 2016 / 4:09 pm

Haha yes you’re prob right. I get to start back at the gym tomorrow thought finally!

• Jordan Leigh
            July 12, 2016 / 2:33 pm

I remember one time I had a more indulgent weekend of eating out in stl and the next day I weighed 2.5 pounds more and the day after that I was down 3! Yay for water weight lol

8. Ann
    July 11, 2016 / 3:53 pm

Erin, that chocolate chip cookie dough sandwich looks amazing!! Yum!!! I will have to check that out next time I visit the city. I will make a special request like you, smart lady! Thanks for meeting up with me…you are sweet and genuine, just like you are on your blog! โค๏ธ

July 11, 2016 / 3:57 pm

You need to get the one from sweet Mandy bs! It’s life changing! Thanks girl — it was a great (if not quick) time!

• Ann
        July 11, 2016 / 4:00 pm

Next time I come down there we can get both and see which one is better!! Why not, right??

July 11, 2016 / 6:05 pm

That’s when I ask them for one scoop! I’m so obsessed with the whipped cream.

9. July 11, 2016 / 7:56 pm

Yum! So much deliciousness! What cartoons did you watch? You crack me up! Enjoy your time in LA–hopefully I can go next year!
    Heather @ Polyglot Jot recently posted…Currently: July 2016My Profile

July 11, 2016 / 8:24 pm

We watched some justice league and then stuck with ultimate Spider-Man which was actually pretty witty ha

10. July 11, 2016 / 8:33 pm

I ate so many carbs this past weekend, but mine were nowhere near the “quality” of yours. Burger fest sounds awesome and I am dying over your cookie/cookie dough/ice cream creation.
    Catherine @ A Cup of Catherine recently posted…Introducing A Cup of CatherineMy Profile

July 11, 2016 / 8:42 pm

Then I had that sundae later after dinner. Eek!

July 12, 2016 / 8:54 pm

OMG that sounds so magical.