Five Things Friday #94

It’s Friday! Already??

Guys, this month is speeding right by. I’m going to be so confused by the end of it with all this travel coming up. I need to remember next year to not travel as much during the summer since we only have a small amount of it here in Chicago. Hold me to that, k?

This weekend I have to teach a little at Sweat and then I just found out about two food events that I may stop into. Taste of Chicago is also happening this weekend, but I wasn’t that impressed with it last year, so let’s see how these other food events go. Foooooooooood. 🙂

Here’s a look at what I’ve been loving this week!

1. Chocolate Blueberry Basil Smoothie

I first came up with this recipe about two years ago as a way to get more basil in my life. I wondered if it would be good to add some to my smoothie and it. was. Whenever summer rolls around and I’m bursting at the seams with basil, I make this almost every day.

I recently updated the photos on the original post and shared it on Instagram yesterday. Lots of people seemed to like it (and make it!), so I wanted to include it here for anyone who missed it.

Chocolate Blueberry Basil Smoothie

2. Ziploc Steamer Bags

I stock up on these to quickly steam veggies and they’ve always been a lifesaver. The only problem is that we tend to use them so much that it seems wasteful. Does anyone have a quick way to steam veggies in the microwave?

Ziploc Steamer Bags

3. NOW Plant Protein Complex

I received this protein when I attended the NOW Foods Immersion trip last month and I was waiting until I finished my other protein powder before breaking into it. Well, that time has come.

This flavor is vanilla, which is a nice change from my usual chocolate powders, and I like that it is a blend of plant proteins rather than just one. The taste is great and I’m looking forward to seeing what new smoothie combinations I can make with it.

NOW Plant Protein Complex

4. Tailwind Tribes

*affiliate link

As I was looking through the BGB Facebook page the other day (great blogging resource if you’re not aware), someone mentioned starting a Tailwind Tribe for the group as well. If you’re not familiar, Tailwind* is a Pinterest scheduling tool that is AWESOME and one of the blogging tools that I will happily spend money on.

It’s kind of like a FB group for Tailwind. It works like this:

• Join group
  • Add some of your pins to the tribe
  • Other members pin your pins

I like it better than Pinterest groups, which can often have hundreds if not thousands of members, because a) I know and support all these lovely ladies b) I can schedule a ton of pins right from one screen and c) it shows you how many times people in that tribe have pinned you.

I’ve been able to add a ton more pins to my schedule and I love being able to support everyone! Tailwind Tribes

5. Sherlock Holmes

I work near a Barnes & Noble and I’ve walked past this book a million times. After watching the BBC show on Netflix (new episodes pleeeeease), I really wanted to read more of it since I love books from that time period. I hadn’t bought it yet because a) it’s giant and b) I wasn’t sure if I really wanted it, but that changed this weekend.

I started on it during the long weekend and I remember how much I love classic fiction books. Also, how about that $7.98 price tag? I also love B&N bargain section.

Sherlock Holmes

That’s it for this week! I hope you have a great weekend and I’ll talk to you again on Monday!

• What’s one of your favorite things from this week?
  • What are you doing this weekend?
  • What’s  your favorite book genre?

July 8, 2016 / 7:55 am

Ooh that sounds great! I’ll have to check it out.

July 8, 2016 / 7:55 am

DO IT.

July 8, 2016 / 7:56 am

I don’t think so. Twitter seems to have become a crazy vast land of tweets and I get overwhelmed haha. I have some lists and I’m on some lists but that’s about it.

1. July 8, 2016 / 8:06 am

The only way I’ve steamed veggies in the microwave is by putting them in a bowl with a bit of water and sometimes covering the top with a paper towel! It works pretty well (but tastes better when I do them on the stove).

I am looking forward to going on a hike on Sunday and I am going goji berry picking on Saturday! Haha
    Danielle @ Wild Coast Tales recently posted…26 Running & Life Lessons I Learned from my First MarathonMy Profile

July 8, 2016 / 8:57 am

Ok maybe I’ll try that. Haha I’m so lazy! Your weekend sounds awesome!

2. July 8, 2016 / 8:30 am

those steamer bags seem great, but i would hateee how much waste they produce. are you not able to reuse them?
    and i’m obsessed with the tailwind tribe!! pinterest is a foreign beast to me haha, so desperately trying to learn new things and join more groups as I go.
    Beverley @ Born to Sweat recently posted…Huffington Post Stair Workout + Athleta PhotoshootMy Profile

July 8, 2016 / 8:57 am

I reuse them in the same night if making veggies but I didn’t want to keep a used bag for days on end. Maybe I could rinse it out?

3. July 8, 2016 / 8:47 am

That smoothie sounds amazingg. I have seen that protein powder at GNC but have never tried it! I love the plant based protein powders (I’m obsessed with vega) so I will have to look into that one more! Really is crazy how fast this summer is going…
    Alyssa recently posted…Top 3 Friday 7/8/16 My Profile

July 8, 2016 / 8:58 am

The company is great and the flavor is good too!

4. July 8, 2016 / 8:58 am

I LOVE mysteries, especially Sherlock Holmes. We love to watch the old Sherlocks. 🙂 And that is so neat that the NOW Foods protein has so many different kinds of plant proteins. That has to be some of the most unique protein powders I’ve ever seen. I need to work on the Tailwind more, because I want to connect with all of you more and more … 🙂 The blogger babes are always encouraging to me.
    Emily recently posted…Cereal, Fireworks, Stress, and Food GuiltMy Profile

July 8, 2016 / 9:24 am

Absolutely! Jump on it!

5. July 8, 2016 / 9:00 am

I’m confused about how we are already mid-way through July and I’m already starting to dread the cold that isn’t here yet 🙂
    Ivanna recently posted…Top Ways Real Women MoveMy Profile

July 8, 2016 / 9:24 am

Hahaha I know. I feel like it’s just started to get actually warm here though.

July 8, 2016 / 9:25 am

Same here. It’s such a time saver!

July 8, 2016 / 11:32 am

Do it! Let me know how it is!

6. July 8, 2016 / 12:28 pm

Have you tried those cheap steamers that go directly over a pot? I found one for 6 dollars at Home Goods and it connects to the pot filled with water and you can put the pot lid over it to steam.
    My favorite book genre is either non-fiction books about food/health/fitness or biographies. I love travel memoirs and stories about people’s lives. My Life in France and Toujours Provence are two of my favorites. I do enjoy mysteries and thrillers though!
    Heather @ Polyglot Jot recently posted…Foodie Friday: Brussels Sprouts Poppers (V+GF)My Profile

July 8, 2016 / 1:30 pm

Haha sounds like you like it all! I should grab one of those steamers!

July 8, 2016 / 1:29 pm

They’re so great!

July 8, 2016 / 8:20 pm

Sweet. I’m gonna do it. I’ll try and see if I can send invites to people since it says you can do it even if you don’t use tailwind

7. July 9, 2016 / 8:47 am

Pinterest is the beast I am not ready to take on. But that looks super helpful for getting your content to people!
    I can’t stop watching House of Lies with Don Cheadle. It’s on Showtime but I’m streaming it through Amazon Video. Have you heard of it?
    Jess @hellotofit recently posted…Tropical Mango Turmeric SmoothieMy Profile

July 9, 2016 / 8:49 am

I love House of Lies! It’s one of our shows we watch religiously 🙂 And you need to jump on that Pinterest game with all your recipes and awesome photos. Game changer.

8. July 9, 2016 / 2:02 pm

you know I am so trying that smoothie bowl! and that protein! YES! ps Can i get that book on tape? LOL!

July 9, 2016 / 2:03 pm

Haha I’m sure. It’ll only take you 5 years to get through.

9. July 13, 2016 / 12:48 am

That smoothie recipe looks amazing! I am definitely giving that a try. Also I did not know that zip lock had those steam bags. How awesome! Where do you find those?
    -Brooke

July 13, 2016 / 10:53 am

I got them at target but I’d check regular grocery stores too bc that’s where I used to find them!