Food Sensitivity Testing with EverlyWell

*This post is sponsored by EverlyWell and Fit Approach. All opinions (and test results) are my own!

Every since I started blogging I wanted to do a food sensitivity test.

I read about them on other blogs and wanted to find some answers to digestive issues I was having. For years, I would have problems with my stomach bloating after eating certain foods. Not just the “I’m full” kind of bloating, but the “I’m six months pregnant” kind of bloating. My stomach would feel distended and hard to the touch and it was really an uncomfortable way to live.

Since many reactions to food are delayed, I had no idea what was causing it. I knew I had a sensitivity to dairy — nothing serious, but I just felt gassy and bubbly after having it (and sometimes a milk baby). I decided maybe it was gluten, so I did a month-long experiment to see what happened when I cut it out. You can read all about that here if you’re interested:

My issues came and went, so finally I got tired of experimenting and didn’t worry about it as much anymore. As I cut back on my running mileage, I noticed that it didn’t happen as regularly, which was also interesting.

Last month when I was given the opportunity to get my food sensitivities tested through EverlyWell, I jumped at the chance. I LOVE SCIENCE. TELL ME MY SENSITIVITIES.

EverlyWell Testing Kit

The testing kit came with instructions, a prepaid envelope, testing kit (alcohol swabs, lancets, and sample card), bandaids, and a lollipop (so precious). I love that everything was green, although that has nothing to do with the actual kit.

The instructions were very straightforward. All you needed to do was prick the end of a finger with one of the provided safety lancets, place three blood samples, allow to dry, then seal in a biohazard bag and ship back to the company.

EverlyWell Testing Kit 2

It took me a second to work up the ability to stab myself in the finger, but it didn’t really hurt at all and was over in a matter of seconds. I sealed everything up and sent it back.

EverlyWell Testing Kit 3

When ordering the kit online, you create an account. Once your test results are ready (approx. 5 business days after they are received by the lab), you will be notified by email and sign in to your EverlyWell account.

I loved the display of results. It was clean and easy to understand. EverlyWell tests for the presence of antibodies in your blood which are specific to 96 certain types of foods.

The main testing categories are:

• Dairy
  • Grains
  • Fruits
  • Meat
  • Seafood
  • Seeds and Nuts
  • Spice
  • Vegetables
  • Other

Each food tested for is listed and followed by a circle with the following shading:

Everylywell Reactivity Scale

Here’s a look at my fruit category results. Apparently every fruit I love had mild reactivity.

Everlywell Test Results

If you want more information on a certain food, simply click on it and the following window will open.

Here is more detailed info for chia seeds, which I have every day in my smoothies.

Everlywell Info

My Results

My results weren’t very exciting. There were several foods that I eat on a regular basis that I showed mild reactivity to, but that was as serious as it got. There were no foods showing moderate or very high reactivity.

EverlyWell’s recommendation if you have mild reactivity to a certain food is to remove those with higher reactivity first. Since mild was as high as it went for me, it’s really my decision what I want to do with those foods going forward. They are less likely to cause physical symptoms, so my takeaway is to really listen to my body concerning those foods and see if they are worth removing from my diet.

From what I understand, food sensitivity testing is not always a precise science, so my plan is to use these results as a guide and plan accordingly. If I eat one of the mild reactivity foods and notice unwanted physical symptoms, I can make the decision whether to cut it out or not.

Basically, any information I get about how my body responds to food is GREAT. I love science and I love food and with those powers combined I can take over the world (or eat it).

To read more about EverlyWell and see what other testing kits they offer, click here. FAQ’s about the products and procedures can also be found here!

Additionally, EverlyWell is offering a 15% discount to readers who are interested in ordering their own food sensitivity kit! Simply enter the code YOURBESTFOODS at checkout!

• Have you ever had food sensitivity testing done?
  • Are you allergic or intolerant to any foods?

July 27, 2016 / 9:28 am

Totally. You would have been a good person to test!

1. July 27, 2016 / 6:08 am

As a nutritionist with food issues, I wanted to do this as well but they didn’t select me either. I’m planning to have testing done after my surgery. I have to go back on gluten to be tested otherwise you get false negatives.
    Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious recently posted…Vaginal Health ProbioticsMy Profile

July 27, 2016 / 9:28 am

Ooh write a post about it. I love seeing other peoples results I think it’s so fascinating!

2. July 27, 2016 / 7:55 am

Interesting! I’ve only been tested for lactose (intolerant ) and gluten (fine), but I’m interested in more testing! I have a strong suspicion I have issues with FODMAP foods when eaten one their own (apples, cashews, onion and garlic are the worst).

July 27, 2016 / 9:29 am

I feel like all the foods I eat consistently showed up w some level of reactivity, but since I haven’t had the serious food baby issues for awhile I’m prob going to keep eating them. If it gets worse I’ll look at those first!

• July 27, 2016 / 2:06 pm

You mentioned something about this happening when you were running. …could it have been the timing of certain foods with your runs? Like not enough time to digest first? Orthe type of food? Things that are too acidic or those which naturally cause bloating aND therefore weren’t quite well digested before your cgurney them up? Or….maybe it was too much running that caused a gut imbalance like when you’re stressed and the whole body (including digestion ) goes out of whack?
        AmberLynn recently posted…Only 4 days left!My Profile

July 27, 2016 / 3:41 pm

Yup, as I was writing the post and reflecting on that, I realized both times that it got really bad were when I was running a lot. Once I calmed that down the rest of me seemed to calm down as well 🙂

3. Lexie
    July 27, 2016 / 11:23 am

I am very interested in testing. My Brother died of colon rectal cancer so I am obsessed with only putting healthy foods in my body that my colon/body can tolerate. I am sensitive to fruit (don’t touch it lodges in our colons and rots) no dairy , no.Nuts and as a vegan of course no meat. Nothing spicy as his cancer doctor told me spicy is dangerously bad for our stomachs. My Brother ate a lot of spicy and a lot of meat. We are what we eat and being health wise is part of that.
    I found out that sensitive reactions are often because we ate something we cannot digest and it lodges inside the colon. As a vegan I am committed to my health and being aware of food sensitivity is part of being healthful. Great post.

July 27, 2016 / 6:05 pm

Sounds like you are pretty educated about everything!!

4. July 27, 2016 / 11:47 am

I would love to try this, cause I do have some bloating. IT’s not nearly as bad as others. I’m not complaining…. And I’m thankful your results weren’t really extreme. That is pretty interesting that it was so easy to do!
    Emily recently posted…WIAW: What Allergies Have Taught MeMy Profile

July 27, 2016 / 6:06 pm

Yeah it was super simple! In thinking back on the times when I had bad bloating issues I was also running a LOT, so it might be related to that as well!

5. Jordan Leigh
    July 27, 2016 / 4:40 pm

Holy wow this could change my life.. I have looked high and low for someone in my area who can do food sensitivity testing for me. I live each day in fear. Every meal is Russian roulette and I never know if I’m going to be doubled over with pain and bloat afterwards. Gosh I wish I could afford this #collegegirlprobs I suppose I could request it for my birthday tomorrow haha

July 27, 2016 / 6:07 pm

Oh no! Yeah, it sounds like this would be perfect for you. That’s what I did with getting a training specialization this year for mine – I just asked my family for money so I could afford it haha

6. July 27, 2016 / 7:01 pm

Girl, I love science and I love these types of things too. As you probably know, I have a lot of food allergies and intolerances, but I feel like since my last test, I have only obtained more – AWESOME… SO I really do need to do this test!
    GiGi Eats recently posted…This ICE Is NutsMy Profile

July 27, 2016 / 7:40 pm

YES. I’m so glad you ordered it. Seriously, tell me what it says!

7. July 27, 2016 / 7:27 pm

I’m dying to do food testing that’s not just an elimination diet! I’d hope for results like yours! 😉
    Liz recently posted…Indy InterludeMy Profile

July 27, 2016 / 9:36 pm

I like the test bc then it helps me focus a little more on where to start w eliminations!

8. July 28, 2016 / 4:48 am

I have had a relatable problem when it comes to running. Although mine is not bloating, but the sudden urge to go to the bathroom when out on a run….usually about 20 minutes in. I’ve been doing a lot of reading on exercise and gastric emptying, but unfortunately a lot of the scholarly articles are telling me that stomach issues are common in runners, especially at lower levels of intensity. Maybe we each just needed to run harder and faster. 😉 Hahahaha!
    AmberLynn recently posted…That OTHER Time I Didn’t Finish SomethingMy Profile

July 28, 2016 / 8:42 am

Oh man I used to have the same thing happen. Once I had to run off the trail and use leaves. Ahhhhh!

9. July 28, 2016 / 1:15 pm

I love that we can do this ourselves now instead of those horrible tests that kids were given years ago!

Allergies and sensitivity issues were part of what lead me to a more healthy & natural lifestyle and alternative medicine.

July 28, 2016 / 3:36 pm

That’s great! I’m glad you’ve been able to find a way that works for you. These tests definitely are awesome!

10. July 28, 2016 / 8:11 pm

I got tested 2 years ago at my naturopath and it was huge for me. Getting rid of the high-reactive foods made all the difference and really helped solve a lot of my digestive problems. The tough thing about the tests is any foods you eat a lot of can show up, even if you’re not overly sensitive to them… so I remember my naturopath advising it’s not always super accurate, but can certainly help. If anything, it was also a good way to change up and vary my diet, versus eating the same things everyday, which helped me feel a whole lot better!
    Danielle @ Wild Coast Tales recently posted…My Vancouver #4: Hiking Garibaldi Lake {in pictures}My Profile

July 28, 2016 / 8:24 pm

That’s great that you’ve been able to figure out some answers. Yeah, it’s not a super accurate science but it gives you some places to start and focus on!

11. Tony Dellasega
    March 30, 2017 / 10:41 am

I received the results of my Everlywell Food Sensitivity test yesterday. I had four foods in the Class 3 or highly reactive category including: Malt, Cows Milk, Almonds and Yogurt. I also had several in the Class 2 or moderate reactive category, including peanuts, baker’s yeast and brewer’s yeast. My doctor had thought I might be gluten intolerant (tested negative for celiac) but both gluten and wheat were low reactivity for me. I always thought that gluten was why I couldn’t drink beer without really hurting my body but it must be the malt and yeast! I did know that milk does not “do my body good” but it is nice to know for sure. My oldest son has Crohn’s and I have suffered with IBS most my life. Hopefully be eliminating my highly reactive foods, I will enjoy less IBS symptoms. I was very pleased with the Everlywell test process and will probably utilize some of their other testing services.

April 1, 2017 / 4:20 pm

That’s great! Glad you had such a good experience!

12. Becky
    April 2, 2017 / 3:21 pm

I’m really interested in doing food testing… I have spent my life with migraines and stomach issues which my daughter and granddaughter also inherited. Too bad insurance companies haven’t realized that this could eliminate a lot of health problems they are spending money on.

April 4, 2017 / 8:45 pm

I know. So much money could be saved in the long run if we focus on preventative care instead of reactionary.