Five Things Friday #100

Hello friends and happy Friday! I can’t believe this is my 100th weekly Five Things Friday post. There have actually been more of them, but I didn’t start numbering them until later in the game. Crazy!

I’m currently on my way to NYC to spend the weekend with some family, so if you have any recommendations while I’m out there — leave them in the comments! It’ll be a short trip, so I won’t have as much time to do everything I’d like to do, but definitely pass any ideas along. Also, make sure to watch my Instagram stories for a behind-the-scenes look at all the shenanigans!

I’d also like to apologize for some site issues as of late. You may have noticed some slower loading times and believe me, it’s been just as frustrating on my end. I’m working to get it resolved, but in the meantime, thanks for hanging in there.

Alright guys, let’s jump right into this week’s Five Things Friday, shall we?

1. Oh She Glows Every Day Cookbook

*affiliate link

This one I am MOST excited about. I was given the opportunity to be part of Angela’s book tour for her second cookbook, which will be released on Sept. 6th (you can preorder here*). If you’ve been a longtime reader, you know that Oh She Glows is the first blog that IΒ really started reading and was the motivation for me to start my own.

When her first cookbook came out, I wrote a post reviewing it and even hosted my own giveaway. Every recipe I’ve ever made has been fantastic and I’m a huge supporter of her brand.

I’m going to do a more comprehensive post about it in September once I’ve been able to work my way through some of the recipes. I’m excited that a couple of my favorites from the site are in there, plus many more. I’ll even have a recipe to share with you and a chance for you to win one of your own!

Oh She Glows Every Day Cookbook

2. Eat More Greens Shirt

I was sent this shirt by a Canadian company called Well To Do. They’re a Toronto wellness guide that you can check out here. The shirt comes from a line of restaurants called FreshΒ that look amazing and delicious and I’ll be adding to my list whenever I make it up to Canada.

This shirt made my list this week because a) it’s grey and green b) it has a great message and c) IT’S THE SOFTEST THING EVER MADE.

I’ve been wearing it to bed every night and I’m obsessed with it.

Eat More Greens Shirt

3. Foam Roller

Ever since I hurt my back, I’ve FINALLY started using my foam roller for more than just a food prop. Apparently I have tight quads, hip flexors, IT bands — you name it, it’s probably a mess. This comes from years of little to no stretching, which I’m learning may be important for a reason.

One of my favorite things to do is to roll out my thoracic spine. It feel amazing and now that I’ve gotten into a regular habit of it, I can notice when it feels tight and uncomfortable. I also like the popping that my back does when I roll it out. Ah, sweet relief.

I’ve tried a lot of different foam rollers, but my favorite has always been my high-density one. Any less than high-density, and you’ll soon find your roller warping and losing effectiveness over time. I’m not sure what brand I have, but this one* looks virtually the same.

BONUS: If you’re not sure what to do with it, here’s a list of some basic foam roller exercises.

Foam Roller

4. Kevita Kombucha

I know, I know. This may seem like sacrilege since all I ever talk about is my GT’s Gingerade obsession. Along with my love for protein bars, I also like to branch out now and then and try different flavors and types of kombucha. Many fail to measure up, but this week I was pleasantly surprised.

I tried the pineapple peach flavor of Kevita and I didn’t hate it. In fact, I would venture to say that I would probably buy it again. If you’ve had this brand, what other flavors should I try??

Kevita Kombucha

5. Sweet Potatoes

I go through phases with sweet potatoes, as I do with many foods. This week I’ve been enjoying a classic evening snack: sweet potato, almond butter, and cinnamon.

Since I’m super lazy, I make my sweet potatoes in the microwave. I just put one in a bowl, cover it with a moist paper towel, and microwave for 6-7 min. I don’t even take the time to poke holes in it with a knife or fork. I squeeze it to make sure it is soft and cooked, then cut in half, top with homemade almond butter and cinnamon, and enjoy! It’s super quick and super delicious.

Sweet Potatoes

That’s all I’ve got for this week, folks! Check back on Monday for a NYC recap!

• What’s your favorite thing from this week?
  • What are you doing this weekend?

1. August 19, 2016 / 5:33 am

THis weekend, I am hoping to do very little, but to try to stay productive. I also need to hit 10 miles this weekend, but the weather is supposed to be gross tomorrow, and Alex is married to the idea of running then, so plans for the weekend basically include getting soaked.
    Susie @ Suzlyfe recently posted…Buzzwords of the WeekMy Profile

August 19, 2016 / 7:19 am

Sounds like a party to me πŸ™‚

August 19, 2016 / 7:20 am

Yay studying! Sometimes I wish I was back in school…but sometimes I don’t haha

2. August 19, 2016 / 7:01 am

I LOOOOVE that Kevita Pineapple Peach kombucha! The other day I tried their Raspberry Lemon flavor (I found it at target) and it was excellent. This week, I got a promotion, so that has easily been the highlight of my week. Have a great weekend!
    Sara @ Oats & Rows recently posted…Friday FavoritesMy Profile

August 19, 2016 / 7:20 am

Congrats!! Oh good I’ll have to try that one too!

3. Melanie
    August 19, 2016 / 7:47 am

Congratulations on your 100th!! I’ll bet you don’t remember, but you were always my sweet potato baby…they were one of your favorites. Of course, they were served “Gerber-style” and nowhere near as fancy as you eat them now! πŸ™‚

I think my favorite things from this week have been watching the Olympics and finally getting the chance to color in one of my new books – new markers and pencils too!! COLOR ON!

August 19, 2016 / 7:50 am

Sweet! Oh I meant to tell you there are hedgehog salt and pepper shakers at target with your name on them πŸ™‚

• Melanie
        August 19, 2016 / 8:03 am

Yes! I have them! Hedgie approves…

August 19, 2016 / 9:29 am

I know. I want it all!

4. August 19, 2016 / 10:10 am

Have a great trip! That sweet potato combo is one of my faves too! I need to roll out my back more often. I seriously have knotted shoulder blades 98% of the time. Thank you, desk work!
    Favorite thing from this week is probably morning green smoothies. My husband bought me a nutribullet pro for my birthday and i love it!
    Heather @ Polyglot Jot recently posted…Foodie Friday: Peanut Butter Date BallsMy Profile

5. August 19, 2016 / 11:00 am

Finding out that I could microwave sweet potatoes instead of baking them was life changing! And that’s so wonderful that you’ve done this 100 times. It speaks to consistency and faithfulness as a blogger! πŸ™‚ My favorite thing from this week has been hanging out with my sister; we watched Psych together and talked about it. πŸ™‚

August 19, 2016 / 1:01 pm

Glad you guys got to spend some quality time together!

August 19, 2016 / 1:02 pm

Sooooooon. Her trail mix cookies are one of my all time favorites!

6. August 19, 2016 / 12:21 pm

I microwave my sweet potatoes too! Too lazy to bake them lol. Love your new shirt and Kevita is my fav (same with that flavor!) Happy Friday!!
    Alyssa recently posted…Top 3 Friday 8/18/16My Profile

August 19, 2016 / 1:03 pm

It’s so good!

August 22, 2016 / 3:37 pm

I’m so glad everyone loves the sweet potato combo as much as me!

7. August 19, 2016 / 1:55 pm

Enjoy NYC! I made enchiladas with sweet potatoes this week and they made me feel like fall will be here before we know it! I have a ton of sweet potatoes growing in the garden and they’re calling my name for sweet potato biscuits to to go with black bean chili and for beets and sweets salads and sweet potato muffins with mini marshmallows baked inside! AAAAAAAHHHHHH! The possibilities are endless! πŸ™‚
    AmberLynn recently posted…You Mean Pilates Was a DUDE?!My Profile

August 22, 2016 / 3:38 pm

All that sounds magical! I’m super pumped for fall and hope it stays around for awhile before winter is here!