Sunday Sundaes

Happy Monday!

I just realized that this week is only four days for me since Friday I leave to go to NYC to visit some family for the weekend. I think every week should be four days — how about you?

This weekend was a good balance of rest, exploration, and a little work. Before I hop into the actual weekend, I want to tell everyone to watch the new Jungle Book movie. Neil and I watched it on Friday night and it was AMAZING. The story and the CGI was beautiful. Do it.

Ok, on to the weekend.

Saturday, Neil and I slept in, had a leisurely morning, and then headed out for a walk to the West Loop to meet a couple friends for a donut meetup. DONUT MEETUP.

I also made us stop at Harvest Juicery so I could try one of their pitaya bowls. I’ve been meaning to stop in there, but don’t get out that way very often.

Harvest Juicery

We went to Glazed and Infused, where I got a maple and bacon donut. If you have Instagram, you may have seen my dance of joy. If not, here’s a screenshot.

img_2152

After donuts, we headed to a place called Cruz Blanca, which honestly I didn’t like that much. You make your own tacos, but I found the meat to be pretty dry and nothing much in terms of toppings to add to them.

Cruz Blanca

We walked back home since it was such a nice day. Humid, but in the shade it was alright.

img_2115

Random selfie while waiting for aforementioned pitaya bowl.

img_2125

While walking back, we came across one of my favorite used book stores that has since relocated to the West Loop. It was so glorious and somehow I managed to leave without buying anything.

img_2130

We spent the rest of the day at home — taking a nap and then I spent most of the evening reading Sherlock Holmes and burning my Book Cellar candle. If you missed Friday’s post, you need these candles in your life.

Sunday morning I had to teach three classes at Sweat. The best part was that my cousin Samantha and her friend Morgan were visiting and they came to take one of my classes! I haven’t seen her since my wedding, so it’s been a hot minute.

img_2139

Neil met us and we all went out for lunch. On the way home, we stopped to grab some sandwich ingredients for dinner.

I had some tomatoes to use up, so we grabbed some bacon in order to make BLT’s.

Erin's Inside Job BLT

After dinner we watched one of Kevin Hart’s stand up specials which put me in the best mood. I’ve seen them all and could watch them over and over again and laugh. I love it so much.

Then I realized it was Sunday, which means #sundaesunday. That’s not a thing – I just made it up.

There’s only so many ways I can take a picture of the same sundae. This time I took it outside to MIX IT UP.

Ghirardelli

I also grabbed some animal crackers from Walgreens (pretty good) and a Diet Coke because whenever I have ice cream, I always need bubbles.

We wrapped up the evening with some Olympics and then hit the hay. I hope you all had a great weekend and if you have any food recommendations in NYC, let me know!

• What did you do this weekend?
  • What was the best thing you ate?

1. August 15, 2016 / 5:20 am

I am laughing at how much better the maple and bacon donuts sound than the maple and bacon pop tarts I got recently for the child. One bite and she spit it out πŸ™‚
    Carla recently posted…Starting a Solitary Reading Club.My Profile

August 15, 2016 / 8:20 am

Oh yeah those sounded rough. She definitely needs these donuts πŸ™‚

August 15, 2016 / 8:20 am

Epic fail.

August 15, 2016 / 8:20 am

Yay ice cream treasures!!

2. Allison
    August 15, 2016 / 7:09 am

When you’re in NYC… dinner at Huertas and brunch at Cafe Mogador!

August 15, 2016 / 8:20 am

I’ll add it to the list!

August 15, 2016 / 8:21 am

I haven’t been downtown in like 8 years so this should be fun haha

3. August 15, 2016 / 7:44 am

I was drooling over your food photos this weekend. No doughnuts for me, but I did have some amazing chocolate chip oatmeal cookies post long run that’d I’m still craving right now!
    Bri recently posted…Fitness Friday: Marathon training week 6My Profile

August 15, 2016 / 8:22 am

Oh man I need some of those. I have some chocolate chip ones I need to try out so maybe I’ll make that my mission this week!

August 15, 2016 / 8:22 am

I love just staying in. I wish I didn’t have to work on Sunday but OH WELL. And idk. Maybe bc I don’t have them every day? Maybe…

4. August 15, 2016 / 9:19 am

Kevin Hart is funny! I’ll have to check that one out. I loved animal crackers as a kid, but I haven’t had them in years. I should pick some up the next time I’m at the grocery store.
    Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona recently posted…The Canadian Women’s Soccer TeamMy Profile

August 15, 2016 / 10:01 am

There’s a bunch of his specials on Netflix! I go through phases w animal crackers and right now I seem to be loving them!

5. August 15, 2016 / 1:18 pm

Ahhh that sundae looks incredible. I’ve had the biggest craving for soft serve ice cream lately but only have fro-yo options around me. First world/white girl problems or what?!
    Jo @ Living Mint Green recently posted…Weekend: New Heights + A Rest DayMy Profile

August 15, 2016 / 8:24 pm

Haha totally. But I definitely understand πŸ™‚

6. August 15, 2016 / 3:36 pm

haha I loved your donut dance girly. πŸ™‚ I need to try a pitaya bowl asap- they look so good!! Oh and that sundae is perfection. Best thing I ate all weekend was prob fish chowder πŸ™‚
    Alyssa recently posted…MHM 8/15/16: The Unique Gymnast BodyMy Profile

August 15, 2016 / 8:23 pm

Ooh that sounds good too. Come to Chicago! You can try a little of everything!

7. August 15, 2016 / 5:31 pm

All I did this weekend was try not to melt!

August 15, 2016 / 8:24 pm

Haha I hope you succeeded!

8. August 15, 2016 / 7:41 pm

Im glad to hear that you enjoyed the jungle book–i really want to see it! Sounds like a delicious weekend–I think that 4 day work weeks AND Sundae Sundays should be a real thing for everyone!
    Heather @ Polyglot Jot recently posted…5 Ways to Boost Your MoodMy Profile

August 15, 2016 / 8:24 pm

Totally agree. And YES. I loved the Jungle Book movie. It was so beautiful!

9. August 15, 2016 / 7:46 pm

Animal Crackers makes me think of that Shirley Temple song. πŸ™‚ And that sundae totally made a wonderful end cap to my Sunday. πŸ™‚ And your donut dance? Yep! πŸ™‚ I love it. God has given you such a joyful contagious personality.
    Emily recently posted…What Skydiving Taught Me About FearMy Profile

August 15, 2016 / 8:26 pm

Aw thank you Emily!

10. August 16, 2016 / 8:07 pm

I loved Jungle Book as a kid and now I totally need to see the “grown-up” version. And Sundae Sundays should be a thing. I can’t think of a better way to end the weekend πŸ˜€
    Ellen @ My Uncommon Everyday recently posted…Paleo Zucchini Bread PancakesMy Profile

August 16, 2016 / 8:28 pm

It’s so good and pretty! And yes, I think sundae Sundays sound like the best thing possible πŸ™‚