Family = Food

Oh man you guys. Get ready for tons of food.

Whenever we have people come from out of town, we always feel the need to take them to every delicious place in the city. There’s no way we could ever get to them all, but we always try and cram everything into a day or two. I’m not sure how we were able to sustain this every weekend earlier in the year because this weekend wore. me. out.

As I mentioned on Friday, Neil’s brother is in town for a conference and staying with us here in the city. Saturday morning we headed out to explore and came across Summer House, which has some of the best cookies ever. I’m not in that area often or else you would find me here on a regular basis with chocolate all over my face.

Summer House Santa Monica

We all split a pizza which photographed better than it tasted at another location, although right now I’m drawing a blank on the name.

Pizza

Happy pizza eater.

img_3741

We then proceeded to walk north to the third location of Aloha Poke in Lakeview. We split this bowl since apparently we were on a tasting tour of our own creation. Amazing as always.

Aloha Poke

We then decided to walk back towards home, making a stop at Aha Crepe for my favorite rolled ice cream. Prior to that, my brother in law also housed a donut at Stan’s. He’s one person who can eat more desserts than me. It’s amazing.

Aha Crepe

We needed to be back in the Gold Coast area by 2 pm for the start of Valerie’s Original Chocolate Tour. It is a walking tour to learn about different chocolate making practices, origins, and all sorts of other awesome tidbits. There are several tour locations, but we chose the one in Gold Coast since it’s near home.

Valerie's Original Chocolate Tour

We weren’t able to stay for the whole 3 hour tour, but we learned a lot in the short time we were there (and ate lots of chocolate). For instance, if you see a country on the chocolate, it generally means that the makers are proud of where they source their beans and that there is no child labor involved (as there is in commercially produced chocolate).

Look at these precious chocolate holders!

img_3704

We also sampled some vegan truffles before we had to leave and they were amazing. If you’re ever looking for something awesome (and delicious) to do in the city, I would definitely recommend this tour. Valerie is so sweet and has tons of information to share!

img_3708

Our Saturday evening consisted of a well-deserved nap, a quick stop out for dinner, and watching the documentary Food, Inc. before calling it a night. We ended up walking a total of 8 miles, but I’m pretty sure our caloric intake didn’t cancel that out. πŸ™‚

Sunday we were back on a mission to show him foods, so we grabbed pizza at Dimo’s and I grabbed my go-to mac & cheese slice.

Dimo's

Then he needed to try Jeni’s ice cream, where he proceeded to order 4 scoops AND this candy bar sundae. I can’t even.

Jenis

He needed to make sure to try them all out first though.

Jenis

Our last stop was Sweet Mandy B’s to give him one more chance to grab dessert. By this point I couldn’t even eat anything there (!!), but he grabbed a brownie and our food tour came to an end.

Sweet Mandy B's

Yesterday we only managed to get in 4.2 miles of walking and another nap. We spent the rest of the night relaxing and I made sure to prep for the coming week by writing workouts for my clients and taking the last part of the night to chill out, since we all know how important that is in a weekend!

He’s here for two more days, but the week should be relatively normal and no more crazy food adventures. I also remembered halfway through the weekend that I have another fitness photoshoot coming up at the end of the month soooooo we’ll see how that goes!

I hope you all had an amazing weekend and found some time to relax. Talk to you soon!

• What did you do this weekend?
  • What’s the best thing you ate?
  • What’s your favorite dessert?

October 19, 2016 / 8:22 pm

That’s how it was all until I moved here. Now I’ve just gone crazy exploring everywhere haha

1. October 17, 2016 / 7:50 am

Your Instagram stories always make me so hungry!! I like when you were trying to video the gelato and the counter person is asking what you want and you’re like “hold on we haven’t decided” / let me film each of these wonderful creations haha
    Bri recently posted…Hustle smushustle: Why it’s okay not to always have goalsMy Profile

October 19, 2016 / 8:23 pm

Haha yes. We were there trying them all for like 10 min before we even ordered

2. October 17, 2016 / 8:53 am

That chocolate walking tour sounds like so much fun!

On Saturday I went to a conference for bloggers/creatives in the online space. They had some amazing speakers and I learned lots.
    Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona recently posted…Day in the Life – October 2016My Profile

October 19, 2016 / 8:23 pm

I love blogging conferences!!

3. October 17, 2016 / 9:34 am

DAT COOKIE…omg I want it. I’m so glad you got to eat so much food and spend time with Neil’s brother! Those are the best kind of weekends. πŸ™‚ I ate a ton of good food this weekend too and spent time at a “Bloktoberfest” Festival downtown with lots of beer, food, and music. So much fun!
    Marina @ A Dancer’s Live-It recently posted…Weekends Are For…My Profile

October 19, 2016 / 8:23 pm

That sounds awesome! And I could eat those cookies all day. Good thing they’re a little far away from me πŸ™‚

4. October 17, 2016 / 9:51 am

Everything looks so yummy! That Mac and cheese pizza WHAT?

October 19, 2016 / 8:23 pm

Right?! So good.

5. October 17, 2016 / 10:12 am

I actually cannot handle all this delicious food you ate! Jenis + pizza (w mac and cheese on it?!) + poke?? Next time I am in Chicago I am having you take me on a food tour of the city!
    Sara @ Oats & Rows recently posted…Happy 2 Year Blogiversary, Oats & Rows!My Profile

October 19, 2016 / 8:24 pm

Absolutely! Just let me know!

6. Katie D.
    October 17, 2016 / 11:36 am

I went to visit Chicago for the first time this weekend and went into Sweet Mandy B’s after seeing you recommend it before on the blog. It did not disappoint! Will have to check out the chocolate tour next time for sure! Thanks for the recommendation πŸ™‚

October 19, 2016 / 8:24 pm

Yesssss. I’m so glad! They always have such great stuff πŸ™‚

7. October 17, 2016 / 4:23 pm

Promise me when I come to Chicago (whenever that is) you’ll take me for mac and cheese pizza because OMG.
    Ange // Cowgirl Runs recently posted…Introducing CharlieMy Profile

October 19, 2016 / 8:24 pm

You don’t have to ask me twice.

8. October 17, 2016 / 9:14 pm

I always always love your food recaps Erin, because you combine my love of food with spending time with my FIRST and best human friends, my family. πŸ™‚ That Aloha poke powl; every time you post a picture of one, I get an Oriental food craving deep down. And that mac n’ cheese slice? I have never seen anything like that before.

Oh yes, and this weekend we had a missionary family from Uganda which was super awesome! I was there 3 years ago, so it was really fun catching up. πŸ™‚ And the best thing I ate might have been the cereal I ate last night cause I was so hungry still. πŸ˜€
    Emily recently posted…Why I Used To Be a Slave to RunningMy Profile

October 19, 2016 / 8:25 pm

That sounds like a great time! Now I want some cereal πŸ™‚

October 19, 2016 / 8:25 pm

Seriously. It needs to be done.

9. October 18, 2016 / 12:18 pm

There is no better way to share Chicago with you family than through food! As soon as I saw your Insta story if the SHSM cookie I died. That cookie gives me life! So happy to hear you had a great time with the fam!!
    Ellie | Hungry by Nature recently posted…Pumpkin Blondies with Dark Chocolate ChunksMy Profile

October 19, 2016 / 8:26 pm

Right?! It’s so buttery and amazing!!

October 19, 2016 / 8:26 pm

Absolutely!

October 19, 2016 / 8:26 pm

It was! Just so much of it haha

10. October 19, 2016 / 8:43 am

mac and cheese pizza?! uhm yasss!! best thing I ate all weekend was prob a smoothie with almond milk, banana, almond butter, and cocoa powder!!

October 19, 2016 / 8:28 pm

That sounds magical!

11. November 7, 2016 / 9:31 pm

Looks like you all had a wonderful time. Thanks for pointing out the spots you go to. I’ve been to Chicago a few times but never been to the places you’ve mentioned. The dessert spots look so enticing. I’m definitely going to hit them up the next time we visit there.
    Marj – Fit Biscuits recently posted…Is Turkey Bacon Good for You?My Profile