Five Things Friday #108

Last week I had a week where I kept thinking that it was the day before. So on a Wednesday, for example, I thought it was Tuesday and was PUMPED when I realized it wasn’t.

This week has been the opposite. I’ve constantly thought it was the next day and then get to experience that let down when I realize there’s actually one more day left in the week. Don’t you hate that? THANKFULLY, today is actually Friday which means tomorrow is the weekend! I have to teach a couple classes on Sunday, but aside from that there’s really no concrete plan = awesome.

To wrap it up, here are some of my favorite things from the past week!

1. Homemade Kombucha

I did it! If you have Instagram and follow along with my stories, then you know that about two weeks ago I tried my hand at making kombucha at home. The first batch was finally ready this week and I have been loving it! It’s super easy to do, but my only problem is that my second fermentation didn’t produce any carbonation. If anyone has experience with this and has suggestions, please leave them in the comments!

I didn’t flavor the first batch, but I’m in the process of brewing my second (super easy if you do the continuous brew method) and will probably experiment with flavors the second time around. Actually, I think Neil is the most excited one to play around with flavor additions. 🙂

Homemade Kombucha

2. Crispy Greens Dried Fruit

Crispy Greens sent me some of their dried fruit and I have been snacking on it throughout the week. It is actually freeze-dried, so I am pretending I am an astronaut while eating it. There are so many different fruits and I’m having a hard time picking a favorite.

They only contain fruit and that’s it. No additives or preservatives and non-GMO. I like the sound of that.

Crispy Green Fruit

3. New hair products

I know most days I just throw my wet hair up into a mess on top of my head, but my sister recently moved and sent me a bunch of stuff that she didn’t want to take with her. That included a lot of hair products that I can’t wait to try out. I may not have officially used them all yet, but I’m including them because they have made me excited all week. Maybe this weekend!

Hair

4. Home-grown alfalfa sprouts

The same time I decided to make kombucha, I also decided to grow my own alfalfa sprouts, because why not? I have a sprouting jar and seeds from NOW Foods and it was incredibly easy to grow these in a matter of days. I’ve been eating them raw or throwing them on sandwiches and I forgot how delicious and fresh they taste. Plus, they make me feel like an accomplished farmer.

I’m planning a post about them next week so check back!

Sprouts

5. Purely Elizabeth Oatmeal

I have a habit of wandering into any and every grocery store I see. I love to walk up and down the aisles and look for new products. I think I have a problem.

This Purely Elizabeth oatmeal isn’t new, but our Whole Foods here in Chicago doesn’t carry it. I was surprised to find it on the shelves of Plum Market and bought it immediately. Now that the temperatures have dropped like whoa, all I want it hot tea and hot oatmeal all day long. I’ll be making this and topping it with more Purely Elizabeth granola and homemade almond butter. YES PLEASE.

Purely Elizabeth Oatmeal

Well, that’s it for my favorite things from this week — make sure to let me know some of yours in the comments!!

• What’s one of your favorite things this week?
  • What are you doing this weekend?
  • What’s your weather like right now?

1. October 21, 2016 / 5:36 am

A) I remember when Crispy Fruits came out and I was the only one loving them #Iwastherefirst ;D
    b) The person before us has a birch box subscription that continues to come, and the living proof stuff was in there! If I did anything with my hair I would be really excited, lol
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Five Thoughts Friday (Socialization, Weekend Home, and More!)My Profile

October 26, 2016 / 8:49 am

I know idk what I’m doing right now haha

2. October 21, 2016 / 6:12 am

I bought a Living Proof texture spray last weekend and I am OBSESSED! After getting my hair done a bunch this year for weddings, I’ve been wanting to do a little more with my hair than the usual top knot. I’ve been loving Purely Elizabeth’s pumpkin fig granola. If you see it, it’s definitely worth picking up!
    Sara @ Oats & Rows recently posted…Friday Fitness Favorites: Upper Body ExercisesMy Profile

October 26, 2016 / 8:49 am

That’s the first one I ever bought! My only issue w that one is that the figs are so hard!

October 26, 2016 / 8:49 am

DO IT.

3. October 21, 2016 / 7:32 am

Yum! Ive never seen that brand of fruit crisps! You’re like Susie Homemaker right now with your home brewed kombucha, homemade nut butters, and home grown sprouts! You’re on a roll!
    Heather @ Polyglot Jot recently posted…The Foodie Friday That Never WasMy Profile

October 26, 2016 / 8:50 am

I know! Who am I?!

October 26, 2016 / 8:50 am

It’s so easy and you can just do it in a mason jar!

4. October 21, 2016 / 8:22 am

OOOo i cant wait to see your alfalfa sprouts post. i used to put those on my sammies when i lived at home and my mom would buy them. i’d love to start sprouting my own.
    also thanks for reminding me about flavoring kombucha. i just completed a new batch and want to add some ginggggg in.
    Beverley @ Born to Sweat recently posted…I Fell Off My BikeMy Profile

October 26, 2016 / 8:50 am

Do it. I’m flavoring mine today. Eek!

5. October 21, 2016 / 12:40 pm

I really need to start brewing my own kombucha! I always thought it would be super difficult, but it sounds like it’s not.

Girl, you have all of my FAVE hair products. I LURVE b&b and Living proof. The bestest.
    Ange // Cowgirl Runs recently posted…My October SPUD FavouritesMy Profile

October 28, 2016 / 9:59 am

It’s super easy! Maybe I’ll write a post about it!

October 28, 2016 / 10:02 am

They’re good! I have a dehydrator at home too so sometimes I’ll dry out some fruit and it’s amazing!

6. October 24, 2016 / 2:33 pm

glad to see you are finally brewing your own kombucha. with how much you like it that makes so much sense (as well as cents! pun intended) i have been making my own for a few years now and here are a few carbonation tips. flavoring your second fermentation with fresh fruit or juice or ginger will definitely help with the bubbles. it needs that extra sugar boost. also, make sure you leave at least an inch of air space in your second fermentation bottles. i have found that to be helpful. sometimes you juts get a batch that is flat… it happens. have fun with the flavorings. a few of my favorites are grapefruit ginger/ bluebery cardamom ginger/ strawberry ginger and my latest was pineapple ginger… yum! let me know if you have any more questions…

October 28, 2016 / 10:05 am

Thanks so much for the tips ali! I flavored this batch and it still had a couple days so we will see how it turns out!