Five Things Friday #116

Happy Friday!

You guys — I’m actually moving myself from the couch this weekend so hopefully I will have a better post for you on Monday. Tomorrow I am meeting up with a bunch of friends for a workout and FOOD, then Neil and I are going to a game night with some of his work friends. Sunday I plan to finish up some of the homemade gifts I have to get done and in the mail, which is a good plan considering it’s supposed to be below zero WITHOUT the wind chill here in Chicago. No thanks.

Although this week has also been cold, I’ve been able to get out and about and I have some local places on my favorites list this week. If you’re in Chicago, check them out, and if you’re not, a couple of them you can order online!

1. Scratch Goods

Scratch Goods is Chicago’s first “mask bar,” a place where you can create your own mask from scratch, apply it with a PAINTBRUSH (best part), and even get a hand mask and foot soak while you’re at it. I went on Tuesday and my skin still feels super soft. First of all, the place is SUPER cute and totally Instagram-worthy, which I’m sure you are all concerned with.

Secondly, each step of the mask process is explained. You pick your charcoal base and liquid (all from local Chicago companies — coffee, honey water, or juice), make your mask, then apply it after thoroughly cleaning and prepping your face with all-natural, homemade products. I learned you should always apply products up and away from the center of your face or else you’re just continually pulling your skin down and just helping gravity along. We also concentrated on the neck area, another place that is often forgotten.

You can make appointments at the mask bar or simply stop in to grab any of the mask ingredients or scrubs. If you’re not in Chicago and want to try it out for yourself, they also have an online shop that can help with any last minute holiday gifts!

Scratch Goods

2. Coffee Scrub

Just continuing this skin care obsession from this week, I bought a coffee scrub before I left that is made with Dark Matter coffee, a local Chicago company. It smells AMAZING. It’s a great exfoliator and can be used for face and body. It’s also gentle enough to be used daily, although I’ll probably only use it once a week or so to start along with my new found mask regimen. 🙂

Scratch Goods 2

3. Bernie’s Lunch and Supper Club

I had the opportunity to shoot some plates at Bernie’s this week with my friend Addie and we sampled three different winter menu items. I’ve walked by here many times on the way to one of my clients, but haven’t had the chance to stop in. We were able to chat with the chef and hear a little bit about how the restaurant got started and how the meals are inspired.

You guys — everything we had was SO GOOD. One of the highlights of the menu this season is a sweet potato falafel. So magical. Pictured below is their Roots and Fruits Salad — golden beets, poached Asian pear, fuji apples, stracciatella cheese, winter lettuces, and apple cider vinaigrette. I was literally scraping the cheese off the plate to get it all. I’m making plans to go to brunch at some point for sure.

Bernies Lunch and Supper Club

4. The Paleo Cookie Company

I’ve shared about these before, but when I saw them in the store Wednesday night I realized I haven’t had them in a long time. That needed to be remedied. As you can see from the label, these cookies are GF, grain-free, dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free, and GMO-free. They have a brownie cookie, chocolate chip, and pumpkin (seasonal). I’ve had them all and they’re all amazing. The ingredients are also on point: almond flour, coconut flour, cocoa powder, dark chocolate chips, organic maple syrup, organic unrefined coconut oil, pure vanilla extract, baking soda, and sea salt. Get out.

Although they are also a local Chicago company, you can order their cookies online. Do it. For real.

Paleo Cookie

5. Bath & Body Works Winter Cedar Candle

When BBW had their EPIC candle sale a couple weeks ago ($8.50 candles WUT), I went online and made sure to stock up. One of the scents I got was this winter cedar smell and it’s been really nice with the tree lit and the cold outside. I love balsam-scented candles, but sometimes they can be really overpowering, so this one smells like winter and the holidays without making me choke and die. Love it.

candle

Alright, that’s it for this week. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and I’ll catch up with you on Monday! Stay warm!

• What’s one of your favorite things from this week?
  • What are you doing this weekend?

1. December 16, 2016 / 5:18 am

We are flying to VA today and then back from VA on Sunday, and so I decided to pack Ridley an extra meal for boarding because YOU KNOW that our flight is going to be delayed because of weather. Also, I’ve not packed, and we leave in 4 hours for the airport and you know I am going to run first.
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Gifted and TalentedMy Profile

2. December 16, 2016 / 7:26 am

I love BBW candles and that coffee scrub sounds amazing. I’ve been wanting to make my own but figure using old coffee grinds may not be so good for our ancient plumbing, haha. Happy Friday! Oh, and my favorite thing from this week was our employee Christmas luncheon. This weekend I’m planning to tackle all the Christmas shopping I’ve put off (story of my life).
    Catherine @ A Cup of Catherine recently posted…Holiday Gift Guide for MomsMy Profile

December 19, 2016 / 9:41 pm

I hope you got it done! I finally finished up mine today!

3. December 16, 2016 / 8:55 am

A MASK BAR! I am so jealous and if I visit Chicago I am definitely going there! This weekend is full of shopping, baking, brunch, and getting ready for the holidays!
    Patricia @Sweet and Strong recently posted…Winter and Holiday FavoritesMy Profile

December 19, 2016 / 9:41 pm

YES. it’s so much fun!

4. December 16, 2016 / 9:07 am

Sometimes I miss living in, or really close to, a big city where the food choices are ample and amazing and there’s so much to do! But then, I remember how much I don’t like big cities and crowds of people and I’m okay with my small town and (mostly) boring food choices. Haha! I’ll just live vicariously through you and plan where I’m going to go if I ever get up to Chicago (NOT in the winter, though. Nope.). We’ve got rain coming this way and I’m hoping it holds out until tomorrow afternoon/evening so I can enjoy the Christmas parade with my grandson. He saw Santa last weekend and was less than thrilled but I think he’ll enjoy the parade. 🙂 And, I’m totally ordering some of those cookies.

December 19, 2016 / 9:42 pm

Yeah no stay away from here in the winter. Let me know if you order those cookies. I love them!

5. December 16, 2016 / 10:21 am

This might be kind of silly, but one of my favorite things this week is Greek yogurt. I haven’t bought it in years, but I splurged on it this week and it tastes so good!
    Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona recently posted…December Workout PlaylistMy Profile

December 19, 2016 / 9:42 pm

Not silly at all. I totally get that 🙂

6. December 16, 2016 / 12:59 pm

I love that candle, I have it burning right now 🙂
    Jen recently posted…Friday FavoritesMy Profile

December 19, 2016 / 9:42 pm

Yessss. It’s so good!

7. December 17, 2016 / 10:46 am

That candle looks like a good one! I also love their Twisted Peppermint one–so refreshing smelling! Those cookies sound awesome and I love the idea of making your own face mask!
    Hope you have a fun weekend–stay warm!
    Heather @ Polyglot Jot recently posted…Foodie Friday: Eggnog French ToastMy Profile

December 19, 2016 / 9:42 pm

The mask bar was so much fun!

8. December 18, 2016 / 11:11 am

My best friend and I randomly went to dinner at Bernie’s Lunch & Supper a few months ago, and the Lamb Hashwi (hummus with lamb & pita) was one of the most amazing things I’ve ever eaten.
    Maggie Wolff recently posted…Chicago Group Fitness ReviewsMy Profile

December 19, 2016 / 9:42 pm

Man I have to get back there and eat more!