New Year’s Weekend 2016

Hello and happy Monday! Welcome to 2017 πŸ™‚

This weekend was a pretty low-key one, but I do have some pictures of food to tantalize you (as usual).

Friday night I covered some classes, so I got home a little later than normal. Rather than sit around and watch things as we usually do, Neil and I started to brainstorm ideas for our Indian dance we’re doing at a wedding in June. It’s never too early to start dancing.

Sidenote: Has anyone else watched The OA on Netflix? We finished it and I liked it but was confused and found it comical at the same time. Thoughts??

Saturday we slept in and then headed to Steak Bar in Old Town for an epic brunch. Since we didn’t go until 11 am, I settled on more of the lunch part of brunch since I’m always hungry as soon as I wake up and eat breakfast.

Steak Bar Chicago

The above is Neil’s burger and you can see my SERIOUS creation on Instagram if you didn’t already see it yesterday. We also had some wings as an appetizer which satisfied Neil’s craving he’s been having for someΒ for awhile.

Steak Bar Chicago 2

We walked home rather than taking the train since we were stuffed and then picked up our normal routine of relaxing and watching movies. This time we started with Jiro Dreams of Sushi, a documentary on Netflix. I got about halfway through before I fell asleep, even though I was trying to hard to stay awake. There’s just something about those weekend afternoons!

I plan on finishing it, but what I saw was really good. We watched some more TV and then a Korean zombie movie because why not?

We attempted to make vision boards for 2017, which were really more of just writing down things we want to do this year. I wanted to do it since I love lists and also because I was having a lot of ideas jumbled in my head and I wanted to get them out.

Our NYE was uneventful and although we stayed up til midnight, we didn’t go outside to see the star rise here in Chicago. What we did do was have a dance party by ourselves. I told you — always time for dancing. We did watch the starΒ on TV though and had some surround sound as the fireworks shot off outside, but then it was lights out.

I had to teach on New Year’s Day, so I woke up, had breakfast, and headed to the studio. I wrote the workout which made it more fun to teach and I took people though a grueling 45 minutes. Sorry not sorry.

I stopped at Whole Foods on the way home to stock up on some staples that were on sale and to grab sushi for Neil and I. Then I made these magical maca crunch truffles with a recipe from Navitas Naturals and they are BANGIN. Cacao butter? Game changer. I’m planning to take them to my early morning classes on Tuesday if I don’t eat them all first.

Maca Truffles

Since all I had were food pictures, I wanted to end with Neil and I wishing you a very happy new year! I attacked him on the couch and forced him to take this picture πŸ™‚

I’ve had such an incredible year, which I will recap in a post later this week, but I wanted to thank every one of you who shows up, reads these posts, and is part of this community. I’ve learned so much from all of you and everything I write is an attempt to connect and grow with you all. If there’s anything you want me to talk about this year, please let me know in the comments or shoot me an email. I want to make sure that this is a safe and uplifting place for you to come and that you are able to get everything you can out of it.

I hope you had an amazing holiday and weekend and I’m looking forward to going on this journey with you!

img_5577

• What did you do for NYE?
  • How was your weekend?
  • Do you have any goals for the year?

1. January 2, 2017 / 5:17 am

You made that burger? Wow, Erin, you have seriously amazing burger making skills. I can’t wait to hear the things you learned this year and learn more from you this year. On New Year’s Eve, I went to bed super early, but it was worth it to get up for church!
    Emily recently posted…What Gives You ValueMy Profile

January 3, 2017 / 6:56 pm

I just stacked it on top of itself – I didn’t actually make it. That would have been a great feat!

2. January 2, 2017 / 5:28 am

I took zero pictures this weekend. Well, basically, and none of them were of food! Our weekend was low key as well, in that we didn’t go CLUBBINNNNNG or anything crazy like that, but I did put on realish clothes, so that has to count for something, right?
    Susie @ SuzLyfe recently posted…Just the Right New Year’s Weekend 2017My Profile

January 3, 2017 / 6:57 pm

It takes a lot of effort to put on real clothes

January 3, 2017 / 6:57 pm

It’s finally cold there??

3. January 2, 2017 / 8:57 am

Aw love that picture of the two of you! Happy new year πŸ˜€ I really liked Jiro Dreams of Sushi but it made me crave sushi so be sure to stock yourself with some while you watch it! πŸ˜€
    Heather @ Polyglot Jot recently posted…Best of the Blog 2016My Profile

January 3, 2017 / 6:57 pm

I’m turning into a fish with the amount of sushi I’ve been getting at Whole Foods

4. January 2, 2017 / 10:48 am

That burger is pretty epic. I’d personally leave off the egg but the rest – get in my belly! Did zero for NYE. Sat in my chair and watched movies and drank tea. Woo! haha

January 3, 2017 / 6:58 pm

Normally i would but the picture just wouldn’t have been the same. Ha!

5. January 2, 2017 / 12:23 pm

happy new year Erin! glad you had a good weekend πŸ™‚ some goals I have for this year is to get stronger and better at lifting, pray more, and fit in more self-care time!
    Alyssa recently posted…Setting Goals in a Healthy WayMy Profile

January 3, 2017 / 6:58 pm

Those sound like amazing goals!!

January 3, 2017 / 6:58 pm

It’s the best!

6. Libby
    January 3, 2017 / 2:03 am

I had a really low key New Years Eve. In Auckland our version of your star is the Sky Tower. It is our tallest building and they light it up / set fire works off on it. I am fortunate in that my apartment looks directly at it. So many people were out on the cold street below my building watching it and I got to see it all from the comfort of my warm / cozy bed which was absolutely amazing! For me it was perhaps the tamest New Years Eve in history but honestly I found it perfect. I stayed up a little while afterwards sipping a cup of tea / listening to an audiobook (and waiting for the drunk crowd outside to disperse so it wasn’t so noisy), then went to sleep. I loved it! My goals for this year is to try at least one new cafe a month (I’m setting the bar low so I have a chance of achieving it!) I tend to just got to the places I know / like / are convenient over and over again, so I want to branch out and try somewhere new.

January 3, 2017 / 6:59 pm

Man your weekend sounds so nice! And I love that goal – totally achievable!

7. January 3, 2017 / 10:57 am

I can TOTALLY relate to having lists jumbled in my head. It’s why I write out monthly goals posts and have a work planner and a home planner. I need to get the thoughts OUT.

Happy 2017, friend.
    Ange // Cowgirl Runs recently posted…Hello January! My Goals for the MonthMy Profile

January 3, 2017 / 7:00 pm

It’s so much better to get it all out of my head!

8. January 7, 2017 / 5:08 pm

What a fun NY’s weekend πŸ™‚

We stayed in for NYE, cooked something nice and watched some movies. πŸ™‚ It was great.
    San recently posted…Five Guidelines for 2017My Profile

January 9, 2017 / 8:15 pm

That sounds like the best time.