One Day At A Time

Living in the future can be overwhelming and anxiety-provoking. The key to success is learning to take things one day at a time and keep walking through.

There’s at least one point in the week when I feel overwhelmed and likely resemble a chicken with its head cut off.

That day is usually Wednesday.

As I’ve gotten busier, it’s become necessary for me to take a realistic look at my schedule and figure out when I need time to work on certain things. The beauty about having different sources of income is that I can tailor my schedule for what works best for me and my mental clarity. The problem is, I don’t always do that.

Wednesday is the day of the week that I jam as much as I possibly can into a 14 hour working day. This allows me to take most of Tuesday to stay home and work on emails, freelance projects, and I end Tuesday feeling like my whole world is in order. I may not be working every second on a Wednesday, but if I’m not, I’m usually commuting to clients or thinking about work. I don’t have as much time at home as usual and when I’m away from my home base I start to feel scattered and pressed for time and HOW CAN I ANSWER THAT EMAIL IF THE DOCUMENT IS ON MY COMPUTER??

I’m still working on finding a good balance because I have some underlying need to prove that I can build my life back up to something more than what it would have been if I had finished pharmacy school. I know that’s something I need to work on, but as with everything in life, it’s a process.

I’ve gotten to a point where I have to say no to new clients if I have to travel too far and that’s a good problem to have. I’d rather have too much work than not enough. I’m working on finding a balance to get everything done because my brain isn’t the best at multitasking. While I’m in this stage there’s a lot of craziness, but at the end of the day I really love all the different things I do.

One Day At A Time 2

Here is my point — take things one day at a time.

Heck, take things hours at a time if you need to. When I look at my schedule for a Wednesday, it can seem overwhelming. Instead of thinking about the entire thing, I worry about the next appointment. I get through that and I move to the following appointment. Next thing I know I only have two left and then I’m done for the day.

“One day at a time” is a lesson that I learned in recovery. When I entered rehab I FREAKED out about never being able to drink again.

BUT I WILL HAVE WEDDINGS AND FUNERALS AND PARTIES AND HOLIDAYS AND THURSDAY NIGHTS TO GO TO.

Thinking about the entirety of my life without alcohol was too overwhelming for me to even consider. The next weekend I even showed up to volunteer at a concert selling beer to the audience. This is how I coped with the stress. I didn’t drink it, but being near it made me feel better. Not the wisest move.

“One day at a time” doesn’t just apply to people in recovery, but that’s where I first learned its significance. I learned to take things by the minute. Don’t use for just this minute. Minutes turned into hours, which turned into days, which turned into here almost 7 years later.

Goals can also be approached one day at a time. Making any significant change is going to seem daunting if you jump immediately to the end result. Many people give up on their healthy resolutions because they live too far in the future. Take time for today. Make small changes today and leave it there. Over time those small changes add up to larger ones and before you know it you’ve gotten to the place you wanted to be.

My point in all of this is just to remind you that each day is a new day.

Living in the future only breeds anxiety. Focus on what you can do today and if you’re feeling overwhelmed, break it down. Tomorrow is a chance to start over and each day will be different from the last.

One day at a time we breathe.

One day at a time we walk.

One day at a time we grow.

Thanks to Amanda for letting me think out loud.

• How’s your time management?
  • What do you do when you feel overwhelmed?
  • Do you live in the future?

1. February 2, 2017 / 5:10 am

I think this applies to so many things in life even weight loss! Now, I would like to have Your too my client problem. Just getting started is hard. Would love to hear your tips sometime for how you built your clients!
    Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious recently posted…Dear 2017, This Is How I FeelMy Profile

February 10, 2017 / 5:43 pm

Yes! I’ve had some help but that would be a good post

2. February 2, 2017 / 8:00 am

I first heard the statement “one day at a time” when my brother was going through his struggle with addiction. At the time, I couldn’t appreciate the gravity of these words and how much it would come to mean to me. It would eventually become the way I dealt with the grief of my brother’s passing as well as losing a career path that I had worked my entire life to achieve. I still believe that this statement helped save me in a way. It cut down the enormity of a situation into a manageable moment. It helped me focus on the now. I helped me to realize that things would be okay. It is so true that this statement isn’t just for someone in recovery. Really it is simply saying, focus. Tomorrow is for tomorrow. Life is hard and has to be taken one day at a time.

February 10, 2017 / 5:44 pm

I’m sorry to hear about your brother 🙁 I’m so glad that you’ve been able to use this as a way to get a handle and perspective on the day to day though!

3. February 2, 2017 / 9:16 am

Woweee…. A couple weeks ago someone at church touched this very subject. It was such a good reminder to stay in the moment and be really thankful for each wonderful day, instead of worrying about tomorrow. I think all of us need this reminder, because we all have moments or days of anxiety.
    Emily recently posted…WIAW: Exercise Addiction ( Beauty in Christ Episode 1)My Profile

4. L
    February 2, 2017 / 10:00 am

Very wise post! I “compartmentalized” which is similar in that I focus on the here and now that which is achievable. I never focus on the future it’s to frightening and terrifies me.

5. February 2, 2017 / 10:12 am

DUUUUDE, I hear you. I was going to write a similar post about this (and i still may), but its nice to know we are in this together! Your Wednesdays are my Mondays – i work all day, workout, wait around for a couple hours, then teach a class at my gym. I get super overwhelmed too with all the emails, except luckily i can answer most of them when I have downtime at work. I feel ya girl. Just gotta keep trucking on. I’d rather be super busy than have nothing worth doing.
    Beverley @ Born to Sweat recently posted…First Time Float Experience: Sensory DeprivationMy Profile

6. February 2, 2017 / 2:50 pm

Tuesdays have become my crazy day: work, run club, home after 8, and for an introvert that requires home time, it can be overwhelming. Thankfully running helps, and knowing I can have a break on Wednesday helps me get through.
    It’s not always easy to stay in the right now, but I’m working on it.
    Ange // Cowgirl Runs recently posted…Currently: February 2017My Profile

7. February 2, 2017 / 5:13 pm

This seriously needs to be my life motto these days. I tend to worry and think ahead to the future too much…replaying scenarios and what ifs to the point that it makes me stressed out and depressed, scared, you name it! Thanks for the reminder I sure needed it!
    Heather @ Polyglot Jot recently posted…February Goals & IntentionsMy Profile

8. February 3, 2017 / 8:41 am

Wednesday’s are usually that day for me too. That’s how my Wednesday was this week. I love the one day at a time motto. One day at a time and one moment at a time really helps me just calm the heck down and remind myself I will get through this
    Alyssa recently posted…Some Things I Try and Do Every DayMy Profile

9. February 3, 2017 / 9:17 pm

Great post! I get overwhelmed by practically everything and thinking about my entire days sends my brain into overdrive. You’re right, breaking it down one thing at a time helps it feel more achievable.

February 10, 2017 / 5:45 pm

Absolutely! Little bit at a time 🙂

10. February 4, 2017 / 8:38 pm

I have to remind myself to think this way all the time. It helps with school stress and work stress, of course, but it’s especially helpful for me with health issues. If I think, “I’m in pain now, I’ve been in pain every day for the last 10 years, and I’m going to be in pain every day for the next 80 years,” I freak out and stop doing everything. If I think about how I can get through the day, it seems more manageable – of course I’m going to get through the day. What else would I do?
    Ellen @ My Uncommon Everyday recently posted…Five Friday Favorites 02/03/17My Profile

11. February 9, 2017 / 1:35 pm

Time management is a peculiar thing, well, actually time perception… because realistically every day is the same bunch of 24 hours, but we feel oh-so-differently about these 24 hours, depending on what day of the week it is. It’s hard to sometimes just focus on the few hours ahead, but I agree, refocus is often necessary.

When I feel overwhelmed, I try to focus on the task at hand.
    San recently posted…What I read: JanuaryMy Profile