Five Things Friday #140

Happy Friday!

How has your June been so far? The sun has finally come out here in Chicago and it’s GLORIOUS. I don’t have much on the agenda this weekend, so I’m hoping it stays that way despite the forecast not being quite as glorious.

I’ll keep it short and sweet and get right into what I’m loving this week. Let me know what’s on your list in the comments!

1. Enlightened Ice Cream

I received a shipment of Enlightened ice cream this week and Neil and I had a taste testing party. If you’re familiar with Halo Top ice cream, this is another option that is marketed as a better choice than regular.

There are a smaller number of calories per pint than typical ice cream and they offer higher protein and fiber as well. The flavors are pretty good, but realize when you’re eating it that it’s not fair to compare it to a pint of Jeni’s or Ben & Jerry’s.

It’s a healthier ice cream, but it’s definitely better than the other types I’ve tried. It’s creamy and satisfying and if you’re looking for an alternative, I’d definitely give it a shot!

2. Tomer Kosher Beef Sticks

Tomer Kosher, a local Chicago company, makes a variety of beef sticks that I had the chance to try this week. After Expo West, I started snacking more on beef and turkey sticks as a good source of protein throughout the day.

These are really good and you can find them on Amazon here if you’re not in Chicago. I also want to point out that I stopped writing this to go eat one.

3. New candles

Places like TJ Maxx and Marshall’s are dangerous for me. I went in yesterday to scope out the food aisle and left with gummy worms for Neil and unnecessary candles. There’s just something about finding new scents that makes me happy.

4. The Keepers

I’m a sucker for true crime, so when my sister told me to watch The Keepers on Netflix, I made sure to fit it in.

The Keepers is a seven episode documentary that starts as an exploration of the murder of a Baltimore nun, but expands its focus to the corruption and power of the Catholic church and local government in covering up the murder. I’m interested to see what happens as more people become aware of the story and if anything further can be accomplished by public awareness.

(source)

5. Otis

No, I’m not getting a dog (yet). My friend is heading out of town for the day tomorrow and I get to watch her dog Otis (with his very own IG page here)!

I know it hasn’t happened yet, but I’m including it because I’ve been loving the thought of it all week, planning our itinerary, and texting Neil pictures of him. I will share the whole day with you guys on Instagram stories if you want to tune in. IT’LL BE THE BEST DAY.

That’s all for this week — let me know how your weekend is looking!

1. Ashley
    June 2, 2017 / 7:47 am

What a cute little pup, enjoy your time with him and your weekend! 🙂

2. June 2, 2017 / 8:42 am

Awww Otis is such a perfect name for her dog. Have you watched ‘Milo and Otis?’ And I’ve seen Eat Enlightened ice cream and Halo Top, but I’ve never tried them. My favorite ice creams are Blue Bell and Breyer’s and Dreyer’s. I think Dreyer’s might be called Edy’s in Chicago.
    Emily recently posted…Some of My Favorite Hobbies (Baking, Dogs, Decluttering)My Profile

3. June 2, 2017 / 9:12 am

Posts like this makes me wish I lived in the US instead of Sweden. You guys have so much more products to choose from, and I get envious at times 😉

Oh, June is treating me very kind so far….
    Oliver recently posted…Det bästa med denna tidenMy Profile

4. June 2, 2017 / 9:48 am

The Keepers is on my list of things to watch. It’s disturbing that people/organizations can get away with that sort of thing. Have you watched Spotlight? It’s a movie about the same topic that I thought was great.
    Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona recently posted…36 Minute HIIT WorkoutMy Profile

5. June 2, 2017 / 10:14 am

I’m going to Houston at the end of the month and I have a running list of all the food I need to find – adding the ice cream to the list! haha.

I am SO EXCITED to follow your Otis adventures!! Yay!!
    Ange // Cowgirl Runs recently posted…Currently: June 2017My Profile

6. June 4, 2017 / 6:38 am

I have got to get my hands on both Halo Top and Enlightened. I am a *huge* ice cream lover (just bought a pint of Talenti Mediterranean Mint yesterday, no lie), but sometimes it wouldn’t hurt to be a little more health-friendly. I’ve tried competitor brands like Arctic Zero before, and I am just not a fan. But when you’ve been exposed to the real deal (especially Creole Creamery in New Orleans where I’m from), it’s so hard to eat the healthier stuff!
    Kaitlyn @ Powered by Sass recently posted…Life Lately 6/3My Profile

June 4, 2017 / 9:30 am

I don’t like arctic zero at all haha. These are actually creamy and have the consistency of ice cream but nothing beats the real stuff!

7. June 4, 2017 / 8:26 am

I’d be curious in trying that ice cream! I think Halo Top is good. Definitely not as creamy as icecream but still pretty good and better than artic zero!
    Alyssa recently posted…Let’s Talk About RelationshipsMy Profile

June 4, 2017 / 9:28 am

I’d say this one wins the creamy contest!