Self Compassion and Other Thoughts
Hello! This week seems to be moving along pretty quickly for me and I can’t believe it is already time for another edition of Thinking Out Loud.
Let’s start with the deep stuff and then move along to food as always.
1. The topic of self compassion has been on my mind for a few days. Self compassion is the idea of treating yourself with the same compassion that you would offer to anyone else you care about. I should be the person that I care the most about, yet I often treat myself worse than I treat others or even as they treat me. I have been trying to be more mindful when I am criticizing my thoughts or actions and although it has been difficult, it is important to me. If I don’t believe that I am worth love and care, then I will never be able to accept that from other people.
I have also been working to acknowledge and appreciate my achievements. I don’t place a lot of value on the things that I have accomplished because I am not yet at a point where I feel like they are good enough. I then have to ask myself if a point even exists where I will feel like they are good enough and to that I think the answer is no. Last night I was listing off all of the things that I have done since moving to Chicago in November and to look at them objectively is pretty impressive. I have trouble seeing that because I don’t pause in my journey and instead move quickly from one thing to the next in order to achieve some lofty and arbitrary standard. I can tell you now that if I did reach that standard, I would only add a higher one. This is why I need to be happy and content with where I am every day.
2. I live in Chicago but I still haven’t worn this hat yet. I don’t know why I would need to dress like I live in the Russian tundra while I lived in VA but have no concern for my head warmth here.
(Erin’s Inside Job on Instagram!!)
3. Has anyone tried these bars? I saw them at Costco and was intrigued. They have dairy in them, but so do my beloved Perfect Bars, so I can’t really discriminate based on that.
4. I have a deep dish conundrum. So far my favorite is Giordano’s here in Chicago, but I end up eating my weight in cheese (not always a bad thing). I recently tried Uno’s deep dish and while it wasn’t quite as good as Giordano’s, they have an individual portion size that is much more manageable to eat and I don’t feel like a rolling cheese ball afterwards. So, do I continue to gorge myself on delectable Giordano’s or do I slightly sacrifice quality for a more manageable meal? (also, #firstworldproblems)
5. I was told that Corner Bakery has power paninis that are a good breakfast choice. I stopped by yesterday and got one with egg, spinach, and avocado. I wasn’t too impressed. That’s probably because I like breakfast to be one of my biggest meals of the day and there was no way that sandwich was going to tide me over for some hours. I immediately went home and made a giant bowl of oatmeal.
6. I think I hate cycling because I’m not good at it. That’s not something I like to admit, but when I went to #sweatworking last weekend there was a cycling portion of the workout and I thought I was going to die. Give me running and strength workouts all day long, but there is something about cycling that makes my heart feel like it is going to explode and my legs are going to catch on fire.
I may also not have been able to breathe because the room was already steamed up and all the air was gone. Yes, I will blame it on that.
7. Sign up for my class! It’s free!
8. I am having an awful time on the treadmill again recently. I have been trying to get in at least 2 days of exclusive running a week since I am getting back into half marathon training mode, but it has been a struggle. I used to love the treadmill and now it makes me angry. I need your help!
9. I started watching Downton Abbey and now I can’t stop. I even got the free month trial of Amazon Prime so that I could watch them all. Now I have 30 days to get through 5 seasons. Good thing I am already halfway through 2. I just tried to find an image I could upload here and then had to quickly close the window because I started to see spoilers. Instead I will share a picture of the amazing forecast for next week when it is going to be in the 40s!
That’s all I have for today. Enjoy your Thursday!
- What are your treadmill tips?
- How do you practice self compassion?
- What series are you watching right now?
- Tell me something random!