Rosemary Sage Freekeh Protein Salad + A Giveaway!
Disclaimer: I was provided two packages of freekeh as part of my ambassadorship with Sweat Pink. All opinions are my own.
What’s this? ANOTHER giveaway?
You read that correctly. I am here to share with you a quick, yet delicious recipe using freekeh and give you the chance to win some of your own!
What is freekeh?
Freekeh was first discovered over 2000 years ago in the Middle East. It is a wheat product (if you are GF, come back tomorrow) that is a good source of fiber and protein. Freekeh is a green wheat that undergoes roasting during its preparation and is also a low glycemic index food.
What can I do with freekeh?
What can’t you do with freekeh? You cook it the same way you cook rice and it can also be substituted wherever rice is used. It has an earthier, more hearty flavor that can help round out many dishes. For far more creative ideas than I can prepare for you, check out their recipe page.
There are three different flavors available from Freekeh Foods: original, rosemary sage, and tamari. I chose the original and the rosemary sage. The original is obviously more versatile since you can add whatever flavors you wish, but I decided to make my lunch the other day using the rosemary sage flavor.
Rosemary Sage Freekeh Protein Salad
- 1/4 package organic freekeh rosemary sage flavor (I just made the whole package which is 4 servings)
- 2 chicken tenderloins (or protein of choice)
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 tomato
- mixed greens
- Chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces and dice the avocado and tomato. My chicken was already cooked in the fridge, but if yours isn’t you can quickly cook them on the grill or bake in the oven at 425 degrees for 15-20 min.
- Fill a bowl or plate with as many mixed greens as you’d like, then add the freekeh, chicken, tomato, and avocado.
I didn’t put any dressing on my salad since the freekeh was already flavored and I’m not a big dressing person, but feel free to add whatever other toppings or sauces that you’d like.
BONUS! Not only did Freekeh Foods provide me with these awesome flavors, but they also want to send YOU a free package of your choice. To enter, check out the giveaway below. It will go on for one week and end next Wednesday, 9/16 at midnight Central time. At that point I will email the winner to find out your flavor selection. Happy entering!
- Have you ever had freekeh?
- What flavor would you choose?
- How would you use freekeh in a meal?