Homemade Almond Milk
I may be jumping on the do-it-yourself bandwagon a tad late, but this weekend I made my first almond milk at home! I had heard that it was incredibly easy to do and I am not sure why it took me so long, but I feel that my days of buying it at the store are done!
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 3 cups of water
- sweetener such as maple syrup, honey, vanilla extract, etc (optional)
- Soak the cup of raw almonds in water overnight or longer if desired. Make sure there is enough water to cover the almonds plus about an inch.
- When you are ready to make the almond milk, drain the water from the almonds and add them to your food processor or Vitamix. Add 3 cups of water.
- Blend on high for about 2 min in the Vitamix. If you are using a food processor, it will take a little longer (about 4 min) and you may need to stop to scrape the sides during blending.
- If you do not want any pulp in your milk, make sure to drain the liquid through a cheesecloth or other fine filter and you will be left with just almond milk. Since the Vitamix does such a great job pulverizing, I left the almond meal intact because it offers extra fiber. If you drain it, you can save the pulp and dry it for later use in baking if so desired.