So I got news last night that my grandma’s funeral will be this Saturday morning. That means that Neil and I get to take a 12 hour road trip to Alabama tomorrow! It sounds awful, but I really like road trips since we used to drive everywhere when I was younger. I reached out to the interwebs for any healthy food recommendations along either I-81 or I-95, so if you have any suggestions, please feel free to comment!
I had mentioned that the other night I made crock pot chicken noodle soup, so today I wanted to share the recipe with you. It was super easy; all I had to do was cut up the vegetables and put everything in the crock pot. When I woke up, there was soup!
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- 8 cups chicken broth (I used Pacific brand organic so there wasn’t extra junk in it)
- 4 or 5 carrots, cut into 1/4″ slices
- 5 celery stalks, cut into 1/4″ slices
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme
- 2 tsp kosher salt (I’m sure any salt would work)
- black pepper, to taste
- ~1 lb chicken breast (I used pre sliced breasts so they were thinner)
- 8-12 oz egg noodles
- Place all of the ingredients except egg noodles into the slow cooker. Cook on low for about 8 hours (I did 9 because I like to sleep) or high for about 4.
- Once the time is up, remove the chicken and cut into smaller pieces. You can do this before you put it in the cooker too if you want, but I didn’t want the chicken to become too dry.
- My slow cooker would not hold the soup plus the noodles, but if yours does, after the allotted time put the uncooked noodles in and cook for about another 20 min. I cooked ours separately and then combined together in a big soup pot.
This soup was fantastic and tasted even better than the canned versions. Feel free to play around with the spices to suit your tastes. I really like making my own foods at home because I know what goes into them and I can use minimal ingredients.
So tonight I am off to try running again tonight at the gym. Hopefully there won’t be any surprise phone calls again. I doubt that I will be able to post anything again until Monday, so I hope that everyone has a great weekend and I will be back with some “on the road” (not the book) adventures.
Question of the day: Have you ever made homemade soup? What are some of your favorites? GIVE ME THE RECIPES (I am aware that is not a question).