Best Free Sites For Making Blog Graphics

I wanted to take some time today to share some of the best free sites for making blog graphics.  Since I have started utilizing Pinterest more, I have learned the importance of quality images. The more professional an image is, the more likely it is to be shared by others and so I have been paying more attention to the ones that I use in my posts. Don’t worry, there will still be plenty of random iPhone food pictures.

I have used all of these sites at one point or another and I love all of them for different reasons. The best part? They’re all free!

Best Free Sites For Making Blog Graphics

1. Canva

canva

(source)

Canva is what I have been using for a couple months and I love it. I tend to use Canva more often than PicMonkey these days because I think that the options are slightly more advanced and it seems to work a little better for the types of graphics I have been making.  They have a lot of free images you can use, but there are many more that cost $1. I haven’t found the need to spend any money, but the option is there if you see a design you like.

There are numerous different design layouts that you can use when formatting your design. When you first use the site there is also a quick tutorial that shows you the basics of designing your own individualized image. I haven’t taken nearly enough time to learn everything there is to be done, but if you are looking for more information on what you can accomplish with Canva, simply check out their design school for ideas and more advanced tutorials.

One of the things I like about Canva but haven’t put into use yet is the ability to design an ebook right from their site. That is definitely on my list.  Another thing is the fact that all of your previous images are saved in case you need to review one you have done in the past. For example, I wanted to know what font I had used on a previous image and I was able to simply open that one up and check.

2. PicMonkey

PicMonkey_Logo

I used to use PicMonkey a lot. It is still a great resource for making free graphics and I still use it for making simpler designs.  I used PicMonkey to make my Facebook cover and several of my workout posts.  PicMonkey has a lot of photo editing options which makes it different from Canva, so both are useful.  You have the option to upgrade to Royale if you want access to more options, but I have found the free version very beneficial. Has anyone had experience with Royale? The monthly option is $5, but there is a significant savings if you opt for the annual plan of $33 a year.  They offer a free 30-day trial in case you are on the fence.

Like Canva, PicMonkey has an extensive list of tutorials so that you can learn how make awesome graphics.  I think part of the reason that I haven’t used PicMonkey as much lately is because I haven’t taken the time to actually learn everything it is capable of.

3. Unsplash

Unsplash is a site that provides you with 10 free high-resolution pictures every day.  Since I am a better writer than I am photographer, I really appreciate the ability to choose from this awesome selection of photos.

These pictures are not copyrighted and do not require that annoying “source” tag underneath them if used. I have made most of my recent graphics using this site and Canva.

4. Picasa

I used to keep all of my pictures in Picasa.  Free from Google, Picasa is an online storage and photo editing tool. Since I would have no idea what I am doing with Photoshop, Picasa is a great (and free!) alternative for photo editing.

5. Piktochart

piktochart

(source)

I will admit that I haven’t actually published anything with Piktochart yet, but that’s just because I have been too lazy to compile information.  I am also graphically-challenged, but after playing around with it a couple times it seems pretty intuitive and easy to use.

Piktochart is used to make infographics (see picture above). They have over 100 free themes to choose from, all of which are able to be fully edited. If you are looking for a more visual way to display information, this site is definitely for you.  If you have data in Excel, you can simply import it to Piktochart and start designing! There are also over 2000 high-resolution and print-ready graphics to fully customize your image.  Piktochart is definitely on my list to explore in more depth. Maybe I will make an infographic about how much time I spend thinking about food.

Their tutorials read more like an FAQ section, but at least they have all of the information there for you to create one of these masterpieces.

• Am I missing any?
  • What sites do you like to use?

May 12, 2015 / 3:24 pm

Me too! I’m like WHY CAN’T I FIGURE THIS OUT??

1. May 12, 2015 / 6:19 am

This is incredibly helpful – thanks!

I use GIMP for true picture editing (like my good and evil running shoes on my latest post) and Flickr for photo storage as offer a huge amount of free space.
    Hannah @ Will Run For Coffee recently posted…The Wrong Shoes!My Profile

May 12, 2015 / 3:24 pm

Oooh I’ll have to check that out. Thanks for sharing!

May 12, 2015 / 3:24 pm

Glad I could help!

2. May 12, 2015 / 8:38 am

I love Canva, and use it the most. I recently subscribed to Death to the Stock or something, to get free stock photos to my email. Keep forgetting to use it…
    Jess @hellotofit recently posted…Link Love #17 and party pantsMy Profile

May 12, 2015 / 3:24 pm

Canva is my BFF

May 12, 2015 / 3:25 pm

Definitely do! I love it so much more than PicMonkey

3. May 12, 2015 / 10:50 am

I love piktochart and Over (on my phone). I use Over the most because it’s quick and easy and lets me add whatever text I want. I will have to check out Canva! It sounds awesome.
    Pragati // Simple Medicine recently posted…4 Guilt Free, Healthy DessertsMy Profile

May 12, 2015 / 3:25 pm

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll have to check out Over as well. Canva is incredible I love it.

4. May 12, 2015 / 11:13 am

I just started using Canva and I’m in love! I used to just used Paint (yes..that’s sad) and my graphics look SO much better and more professional. I love how you can select dimensions for things like Pinterest or a facebook banner. It’s great!
    Gretchen | Gretchruns recently posted…10 Days in Europe: How to PackMy Profile

May 12, 2015 / 3:26 pm

Aw Paint. I did too to crop things until I learned about snipping tool (and was subsequently made fun of). Canva is so magical I just don’t even know.

May 12, 2015 / 3:26 pm

You’re welcome! I hope you like them!

May 12, 2015 / 3:27 pm

Me too if only I wasn’t so intimidated by it!

• September 21, 2015 / 2:35 pm

Same here I use canva and really want to try making an infographic on piktochart. Just need the time.

5. May 12, 2015 / 12:42 pm

Thanks for sharing. I use #2 sometimes, but loading is always an issue. I’m going to try #1! xoxo, ganeeban
    ganeeban recently posted…Musings: #LifeUnfilteredMy Profile

May 12, 2015 / 3:27 pm

Definitely try it! It’s become my go-to for blog graphics.

May 12, 2015 / 3:27 pm

Definitely a good one!

6. May 13, 2015 / 9:14 am

I like picmonkey but canva is a lot more polished especially if I’m using photos to make graphics. I also like their templates which are easy to switch up with my own photos and text! I haven’t heard of Unsplash or Piktochart, but I’ll have to check them out!

May 15, 2015 / 8:37 am

Definitely. Canva is my new BFF. Unsplash has a lot of great photos if you take the time to go through them. Well all of them are great, just not all of them would work w the blog stuff.

7. May 13, 2015 / 12:15 pm

I was loyal to PicMonkey until I was getting more involved and couldn’t save anything. Now I am a Canva convert! I do still enjoy some of the elements PicMonkey offers for smaller jobs I know I can finish in one sitting. I also make my logos in PicMonkey as well.

Thanks for Unsplash! I’m definitely going to check that out!
    Michelle recently posted…Top 3 Body Weight ExercisesMy Profile

May 15, 2015 / 8:31 am

They have some awesome pictures on there! Glad someone else is a Canva convert too!

8. May 15, 2015 / 1:49 pm

geez i love your site, i can learn so many things that i NEED to know, and so many things that i WANT to know 🙂 love love love… since i’m new to blogging there is lots to explore. thank you!
    danielle recently posted…Random SauceMy Profile

May 18, 2015 / 1:48 pm

Anytime! Thank YOU for reading!

9. April 14, 2017 / 8:25 am

I love Canva but I’m definitely going to try one of these other sites you listed!

Thank you for sharing!