Passing the NASM Certified Personal Training Exam

As you all know, I passed my NASM CPT exam last Friday. I promised you a review of the exam and I also want to explain more about why I chose NASM, my studying process, and what I intend to do with the certification now that it is official.

Get prepared. This post is LONG.

Prepping for the NASM Certified Personal Training Exam? Here is my complete recap from when I purchased my study materials all the way through the exam itself. Helpful tips and LOTS of insight into the test format (PLUS a discount!).

Why I Chose NASM

I did a lot of research on which program I wanted to use to become certified as a personal trainer. Like, a lot. I spent a lot of time googling and reading forums for people’s opinions. I spoke to actual trainers. Time and again I was referred to the National Academy of Sports Medicine. It was between the American Council on Exercise (ACE) and NASM, which from my research are the two most reputable certifications. Since I wasn’t entirely sure what I was planning on doing once I got certified, I was also leaning towards NASM since I read that it was more widely accepted and highly encouraged at more places.

The Package

There are 6 different packages to choose from, each increasing in price with the addition of different features. To only take the exam it will cost you $599. I chose the CPT Self-Study for $699 which included the exam, textbook, online course material, and online flashcards. I have spoken to some other trainers who found the $999 bundle very helpful because of the eTeach feature, but I was confident in my ability to prepare myself with the Self-Study.

As you know if you have been reading, I wasn’t working at the time and used GoFundMe to help raise money from my family and friends to afford it all (thank you all again!!).

If cost is an issue, make sure to read ALLLLL the way to the end for a bonus!

NASM

(source)

Don’t forget that to be a CPT you must also have a current CPR/AED certification. It cost me $90 through the Red Cross so keep that in mind when budgeting. There was an online portion and then a practical where I had to go to the Red Cross for a couple hours on the weekend.

IMG_0748.JPG

Preparing For The Exam

You have 180 days from the time you purchase your package to take the exam. Since I am a procrastinator, I ordered it in December and took the test less than a week before my 180 days was up. Whoops. As soon as I got my textbook, I leisurely started reading through it. I also utilized the online features and printed out both guides that are available for exam preparation. The first is a syllabus entitled “NASM Essentials of Personal Fitness Training Syllabus.”

IMG_2733.JPG

If you need a good amount of structure and can adhere to a syllabus, there is a 75-day study planner that breaks down what you should be learning and when in order to be prepared to take your exam within 75 days. I had fully intended to use this planner, but failed miserably somewhere around day 4.

IMG_2736.JPG

The second, and most important (for me), guide was “Preparing for the NASM Certified Personal Trainer Exam.”

IMG_0602.JPG

I referred to this guide constantly as it had a breakdown of each chapter and what was essential to know. I used the outline to structure my notes and make sure that I knew each bullet point well before remembering other details that I thought may be on the test.

IMG_2737.JPG

Study Methods

I know that flashcards work for a lot of people, but I hate them. If you are a flashcard person, by all means flash away. I actually convinced myself that I was a flashcard person, made this stack, then never used them.

IMG_2731.JPG

I am a notebook person. I have a very visual memory so I remember pictures, my notes, and where information is located on a page, whether that be in my notebook or the textbook itself.

IMG_2734.JPG

Around March (T-minus 3 months), I got more serious with my studying. I tried to get through a chapter a day (M-F) and take notes. Once I was done with the textbook, I would login to my online materials and watch the videos for each chapter for a more comprehensive understanding. There are also short “activities” which are basically mini-quizzes on the material you have just covered.

I finished the textbook this way and then let it sit until a week before my scheduled exam. I don’t know that I would suggest only giving yourself a week to actually study, but a lot of the anatomy/physiology (ch 2-4), nutrition (ch 17), and chronic health conditions (ch 16) chapters were easier for me from having 3 years of pharmacy school under my belt (at least it’s good for something!). I did need to review some aspects, but it wasn’t completely foreign to me.

IMG_0860.JPG

I made the mistake of taking the online practice exam before I had even started studying. For some reason I thought that there would be different or new questions as I took it each time, but it is simply the same exam that you are allowed to take over and over. Since my brain remembers multiple choice answers really well, I took it once and then remembered which ones I got wrong when I went to take it again. I wrote down the sections I needed to study more, but I wish I had waited to take the test until after I had actually studied.

For me, I had to focus a lot on program design and specific muscle function. I knew a lot of muscles from already being involved in fitness, but I needed to know them more comprehensively in this context. My exam was scheduled on a Friday, so I studied a couple hours each day leading up to the exam. I had Neil quiz me from my notes and although I kept telling him that I needed him to be my exercise model, I never forced him to contort into weird positions.

The Exam

Ok, this is the part I know you guys are actually interested in. The exam is multiple-choice, 120 questions, and you have 2 hours to finish it. Twenty of the questions are research questions, or trial questions that don’t actually count towards your final grade. They are included in the exam to see how they test for possible inclusion on future exams.

You must score a 70% or higher on the exam to pass. The questions are scaled, however, which means it is not as simple as “I can miss 30 questions and still pass!” They are weighted differently based on the difficulty of the question, so don’t go into the exam with the mentality that “I can miss x questions.” Really try and learn the information.

The entire examination is given on a computer and you are not allowed to use paper or pencil. There is no real math on it anyway, but it would have been nice to write out some of the tables I had memorized for quicker reference.

You are able to skip questions that you are not sure about and return to them at the end of the test. I have always done this when taking tests; I answer the ones I am confident of and then go back to the ones where I am unsure. If I didn’t have the answer right away, I skipped it and returned later.

I don’t want to scare anyone, but my exam was harder than I had expected. In truth, however, I’m not sure what I expected. I will say it was challenging, but as long as you are familiar with the information you should be fine. There were no questions where I said “what is this nonsense I have never seen this in my life!” If anything, there were a couple where I knew that I had purposefully not spent a lot of time on that section and that I would have the answer if I did.

It took me a little over an hour to finish the exam. Once I was done (and had confirmed as such 3 different times), I expected either a giant CONGRATULATIONS (with fireworks) or a sad TRY AGAIN, DO NOT PASS GO, DO NOT COLLECT $200 notification. Instead, I got a 10-question survey from NASM about my testing experience followed by a notification that my exam was ended. I creeped back into the waiting room in apprehension where the proctor gave me my phone and ID back as well as my congratulatory letter. I just want to clarify that you don’t get fireworks on your screen if you pass.

IMG_2688.JPG

Things To Focus On

The “Preparing for the NASM Certified Personal Training Exam” guide has a lot of this information, but in my opinion I would make sure to focus on the following areas:

• definitions in each chapter
  • phases of the OPT Model
  • basic anatomy (ch 2)
  • basic differences btw joint types
  • sarcomere, GTO, muscle spindle
  • heart
  • respiratory pump
  • pathways to replenish ATP
  • human movement science (ch 5)
  • frontal, sagittal, transverse plane
  • what CPTs can and can not do legally
  • subjective vs. objective assessment information
  • heart rate
  • training zones (1, 2, 3)
  • different body composition measurements
  • cardiorespiratory assessments
  • common distortion patterns (pronation distortion, lower crossed, upper crossed)!
  • overhead squat assessment!
  • pushing/pulling assessment!
  • performance assessments (p. 150)
  • definitions in chapter 7
  • flexibility continuum, which stretches to use
  • Table 7.6!!
  • FITTE
  • stage training (HR, RPE)
  • muscles of the core
  • exercise progressions and regressions
  • exercises for each OPT phase for each section (flexibility, balance, plyo, etc)
  • SAQ training drills
  • general adaption syndrome
  • SAID principle
  • all resistance training systems (table 13.3)
  • acute variables of training (reps, sets, intensity, etc)
  • basic understanding of exercise modalities (ch 15)
  • basic understanding of what the chronic health conditions are what adaptations need to be made with those populations
  • proteins/amino acids
  • cabohydrates
  • fats
  • how many calories in each
  • EPOC
  • ergogenic & dietary supplements
  • stages of change
  • initial session
  • strategies to enhance exercise adherence
  • 4 P’s
  • 10 steps to success
  • Appendix D isolated function of muscles

Remember there are different versions of the test so what I needed to know may not be the same for all exams. This is generally a pretty comprehensive list though.

What I Plan To Do With My Certification

As I work on growing this blog, I need to focus on income that is available to me RIGHT NOW. I am able to use the space at Sweat to train clients by paying a small rental fee. I have also talked to some people about online training which I may look more into. I bought insurance yesterday which I was advised to do as soon as possible. I am also in talks with another trainer to sub-contract and take over some of his overflow clients. Ultimately I want to be able to train clients on a part time basis while also writing, teaching classes, and blogging. I sound like a crazy person. Need a trainer?

BONUS

I contacted NASM about a reward for all you fine folks who actually made it to the bottom of this post. I will say that I have only heard great things about their customer service and now that I have experienced it first hand, I wholeheartedly agree. Within 2 hours (on a Friday), I heard back from Michael Miller who is happy to offer a special discount to anyone who contacts him and mentions either Erin’s Inside Job or Erin Bahadur. His email is michael.miller@nasm.org and his direct line is 602-383-1271. If any of you are on the fence about signing up, this is the nudge you have been waiting for!

Thank you all so much again for supporting me in this and please feel free to email me at erinsinsidejob@gmail.com if you have any more questions!

• How do you study?
  • Have you taken the exam? What was your experience?
  • If you are a CPT, how have you used your certification?

June 3, 2015 / 8:58 am

Thanks Patricia!

June 3, 2015 / 8:58 am

I told you it was 0 so you will be disappointed.

June 3, 2015 / 8:59 am

Haha oh no I hope I didn’t retraumatize you!

June 3, 2015 / 8:59 am

Thanks Suzy!

1. June 3, 2015 / 8:20 am

First off, congratulations!! I’m so excited you wrote this post! I’ve been dabbling with the idea and I think you’re right, this discount may give me the push I’ve been needing! Happy national running day : )
    Jamie recently posted…National Running Day & WIAWMy Profile

June 3, 2015 / 8:59 am

Go for it Jamie!

2. Mudita
    June 3, 2015 / 10:25 am

Woohoo!! Sure! I need a trainer. I’ll be your first online training client. Let me know where to sign up! 🙂

3. June 3, 2015 / 12:08 pm

Hmm, I have thought about getting a CPT certification, I just hate to throw money at something I’m not sure if I’ll use. Luckily with my biology degrees I already know a lot about anatomy and even biochemistry, even though I’d have to brush up. Hmm, I have some thinking to do… 🙂 Thank you so much for your honest and thoughtful recap of your experience studying for the test!
    Beth @ Running with the Sunrise recently posted…Do You Make These 4 Summer Running Mistakes?My Profile

June 9, 2015 / 9:18 am

Of course! I think you’d totally do great with it. Just have to figure out if it’s necessary for what you want to do

4. June 3, 2015 / 3:14 pm

Congratulations! I would love to get certified in the future so thank you for all the great info!
    ~Ang
    Angela recently posted…May DaysMy Profile

June 9, 2015 / 9:18 am

Of course! Thanks for reading and let me know if I can help at all!

5. June 3, 2015 / 4:56 pm

congrats again!!!! this is a great recap and look into how the process and test is set up. it’s similar to the real estate exam i just took with regards to the exam process and testing setup. what a great job, that is so awesome and i’m excited for you and your lucky clients!!!
    danielle saucy smith recently posted…Sauce & ShoesMy Profile

• June 3, 2015 / 4:57 pm

oh and i did read the whole thing so i’j wondering if should take advantage of your bonus just cuz i love bonuses. LOL
      danielle saucy smith recently posted…Sauce & ShoesMy Profile

June 9, 2015 / 9:18 am

Yay! Me too! Congrats again on passing your exam!

6. June 3, 2015 / 5:20 pm

Thank you thank you thank youuuuu!

Also thank you for clarifying that fireworks will not go off at the end. So disappointing 😉

PS “I don’t want to scare anyone but it was actually really hard” TOTALLY directed at me. And THANK YOU again for that hahaha. I’m feeling back on track with studying so wish me luck!
    Lauren @ ihadabiglunch recently posted…June Goals + National Running DayMy Profile

June 9, 2015 / 9:19 am

Haha you’re right. Another person had made a similar comment too and I really don’t want to scare anyone! Let me know when/if you want help!

June 9, 2015 / 9:24 am

Thanks! Maybe you can buy some and set them off when you pass 🙂

7. June 4, 2015 / 12:49 pm

Thanks for the breakdown! Let me know if you’re interested more in the online training thing!
    Lindsey recently posted…Fit Life May RoundupMy Profile

June 9, 2015 / 9:22 am

Oh yeah I am. I’m just learning about what everyone is doing with their certification so I would love any insights you have!

8. June 4, 2015 / 1:55 pm

Congrats on your exam, you worked for it. Now, have a rest and enjoy your glory 🙂

I usually study like you. I need to take notes and I often use colourful pens like little schoolgirls 😀 But I remember more if I see colours.
    I am a PT, I had my exam about 4 years ago. I’m also a group fitness trainer, so I have a few classes during the week and several personal trainings but not in the gym but at home. I usually teach Pilates or strength training. And I think it was among my best decisions when I decided to start my instructor training 🙂

June 9, 2015 / 9:23 am

Sounds like you are doing really well! I like the mix of classes and one on one, but now I actually have to get some of those!

9. June 5, 2015 / 6:49 am

Im so proud of you for passing the exam 🙂 yay and welcome to da clubbbb. I think it will be great for you as a part time job; at least initially. I train full time and it took a lot of patience and hard work to get there, since it’s a 100% commission job (at least here).
    Jess @hellotofit recently posted…Vietnamese style stuffed tomatoesMy Profile

June 9, 2015 / 9:30 am

Yeah, I have to work on getting clients now and marketing myself. Thankfully I know a lot of trainers so I can pick their brains 🙂

10. June 15, 2015 / 8:01 pm

Thanks for all the great information! I’ve been thinking about this for awhile now, and it’s great to have so many details!

June 17, 2015 / 8:37 am

You’re welcome! Thanks for reading and I hope it helped!

11. July 1, 2015 / 9:06 am

Thanks for sharing. I have been on the fence about this for a while. I am really considering taking the plunge in August or September.
    Shalama recently posted…Is it time for your next fitting?My Profile

July 1, 2015 / 2:49 pm

Do it!! Make sure to take advantage of that discount too and let me know if I can be of any more help!

12. CARLEEH
    July 20, 2015 / 4:13 pm

Thank you so much for the tips! I have had my materials for over 3 months already and have skimmed. I gotta admit it is a difficult read for me. I am learning a lot, but it doesn’t seem to be sticking. I would love a guide! Did you make it or download and print it?

July 21, 2015 / 2:09 pm

I just took notes on the main points that I had listed so it wasn’t really a formal study guide. I just wanted to let everyone know what my experience was bc I think I studied way more than I needed to.

If you have any questions please feel free to email me!

13. September 24, 2015 / 3:25 pm

Congratulations on passing (I know this is super belated, but still), and thanks for breaking it down + passing such helpful tips along to everyone else! :]!
    Farrah recently posted…Review: 6 Sassy Sistas Skin SerumMy Profile

September 25, 2015 / 6:47 am

Haha thank you! I hope they help!

14. Deedee
    February 10, 2017 / 4:45 pm

A lot of people say you can have paper and pencil…. what is the real verdict here?

February 10, 2017 / 5:37 pm

Nope I wasn’t allowed to bring anything in with me. The math is simple enough that you don’t need it

15. Daniela
    March 4, 2017 / 12:49 pm

Hi Erin! So to clarify, besides the final “congratulations” to let you know you passed the exam, do you also get a letter grade or percentage as part of your final results? The company I work for may provide compensation for a self study personal certificate, but one of the requirements is that there is a final grade of some sort, and not just a pass/fail result.

March 4, 2017 / 3:46 pm

Hi Daniela! Unfortunately no there’s no actual score it’s only pass or fail

16. April 10, 2017 / 5:16 pm

I know this is an older post but I found it super helpful! I’m scheduled to take my exam in August and I appreciate the pointers. 🙂

April 10, 2017 / 8:47 pm

Of course! Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!

17. Chelsea
    June 18, 2017 / 4:09 pm

Hi Erin! Great post! I had a question regarding where you took your exam and if you were in a room by yourself? I have severe test anxiety and am very nervous when it comes to the exam part, just signed up today!

June 20, 2017 / 11:38 am

Hey Chelsea!

Mine was done at a testing center so there were several computers in a room, but each was separated by a little cubicle so you couldn’t see anyone around you. The test doesn’t tell you if you passed or failed until you leave the room and the instructor gets a print out. I’m not sure if all testing centers are set up the same way, but that was my experience. You’ll do great!!

18. Tera
    July 4, 2017 / 7:25 pm

I know this is an oldest post… does the discount still apply if I contact Michael?

July 4, 2017 / 7:45 pm

It does! I think someone else took his position but give that number a call and you’ll still get it – someone else just did recently!