Monday Moods

I wanted to take a stab at a new blog series because it was honestly the one topic that made my fingers want to type.

You may have noticed that since before our trip to Greece, I slowed down on posting. I didn’t really give myself enough time to get ahead of posts for when we were on our trip, so I just left it with one a week. Then when I got back, I found myself sitting in front of the computer for consecutive weeks, pouring over the same master list of post ideas that I’ve had forever and just not finding inspiration in any of them. Rather than force it, I’d skip my Wednesday post.

I haven’t written a free-form post in awhile. I’ve been doing a lot of freelance writing, which is almost always instructional and educational, and I would find myself falling into posts like that on here — bulleted lists or numbered instructions on how to reach a certain end goal. I think those posts are important, but I feel like too many of them and I start to lose touch with the creativity of writing.

While sitting at the computer and pouring over the same topic list again and feeling frustrated again, I decided that I just wanted to have a conversation with you. I wanted to let you know how I am doing, and not just a recap of where I’ve gone and what I’ve done in a given month. These periodic check ups are a way for us to stay connected and most of all, realize that we aren’t alone when writing OR when reading behind a computer screen.

Here’s what’s been going on with me lately:

I’ve been going through a phase with Instagram. I used to religiously post twice a day, but lately I’ve been finding myself missing my normal posting times and then just letting them go. It’s still my favorite social media platform and I still derive a good deal of inspiration from it, but my own account posting has slowed down a bit.

I’m also going through a writing phase — one that I’ve been in before — where I feel like everything has been said, everything I have to say is already known by everyone, and there’s really no reason for me to write any of it. I know these thoughts are faulty, but until the creativity comes back, I’m here for a bit.

Donut is still the most precious baby and makes me laugh and smile on a daily basis.

What came along at just the right time was an email from my friend Nicole about joining a new blogging mastermind group. I’ve known Nicole for a couple years now and know she is tremendously helpful as a business coach — something I am in tremendous need of. I decided to join and it kicks off this month. I’ll be sure to update you on progress and I think that aside from all her help, just being accountable to someone is what I need right now.

I’m LOVING fall. We don’t have a particularly long one here in Chicago before temperatures start to drop, so I’m trying to relish what I can before then. I’m drinking all the hot cider and walking to clients around the city as much as possible. There’s something about a crisp fall day that always makes me think of being cozy and new possibilities.

While I don’t think it’s my depression coming back, I am able to identify the lull in my creativity right now and that’s ok. I’m still training clients and working on projects, but emotionally I’ve just felt stuck for about a month or so. I’m staying on top of everything I need to and remaining introspective to work on identifying any changes that may be going on. In the meantime, I’m just hanging out and waiting for inspiration to come back for a visit. 🙂

How have you been feeling lately? I’d love to know in the comments or even in an email to erinsinsidejob@gmail.com and we can be BFF’S FOREVER.

1. It’s nice to hear that you’re slowing down on Instagram, Erin! Sometimes it’s so important to withdraw from social media – it overwhelms us so easily! I’ve begun to take a looser approach to Instagram as well. I find that I enjoy the app a lot more now! 🙂

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog
    Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog recently posted…Where to Get the Best Homemade Vegan Cakes in Hong KongMy Profile

2. October 8, 2018 / 10:39 am

Hi Erin! I love a good conversational post like this. Like the good ole days of blogging — I believe it was Thinking Out Loud ahhahaa? Anywho, I think it’s natural to go through phases — just because your job is a blogger and social media influencer, doesn’t mean you have to stick to a schedule — that’s the beauty of being your own boss. I hope you enjoy’s Nicole’s group! I want to know more about it! 🙂 Sending you love, friend!
    Ashley @ A Lady Goes West recently posted…Current faves: Dinner event, food, fun and weekly workoutsMy Profile

3. October 8, 2018 / 10:52 am

A) I miss conversational blogging and B) I’ve been in a similar rut lately. Like you, I feel like I’ve said all the things already and am having trouble finding inspiration and fresh perspective. It will pass…so I’m taking it as an opportunity to focus on other things. Have a great week, Erin!

4. October 8, 2018 / 11:04 am

I don’t know why I’m acting surprised by the fact that we’re twins, but this post made me realize EVEN MORE that we are twins. I am in the same boat with my blog + Instagram. When it comes to posting pictures with enticing captions or drafting a new post, I just stare at blankness for what feels like hours. And then I walk away because I’m not inspired to write about anything or share much of anything, and as an intuitive person, I almost feel like I need to be in that space in order to share with a purpose. Does that make sense? My blogging rut has been going on for awhile and I’m unsure if it’s the universe guiding me to other things or if it’s just a normal writer’s block situation. But you’re not alone! Definitely not. Also, side note: I’m really thankful for the L.A. sunshine and all that jazz, but I’m so jealous of everyone experiencing an actual October right now. Also, also: I love Donut. – Kaitlyn | IG: @kaitlynmcquin
    Kaitlyn McQuin recently posted…How Moving Away from Home Changed Me For the BetterMy Profile

5. Diana Diaz
    October 8, 2018 / 1:27 pm

Hey! I’m so glad you posted this entry. I think we all go through that rut, regardless as to our life’s profession. I’ll take the opportunity to be reflective right back acha.

I found your blog while I was hunting for new smoothie recipes and ways to jazz up my oatmeal. I think I saved the recipes somewhere on my desktop, but I stayed for the donuts. Oh. EM. GEE. Your photos of donuts make me want to fly to Chicago and taste every last one of them. Did I say “taste”? I meant “scarf down”. Okay, maybe savor. No, savor like the first bite, then scarf till the last bite where I will have no choice but to savor again. But I digress.

I read your bio and was like “huh, this is a pretty cool person.” I have great admiration for people, especially women, who have gone through some crap and have come out through to the other side strong and humble. I appreciate that you share your strengths and your weaknesses. You never sound preachy. And you tell me it’s okay to eat the damned donut.

So that’s it. I just want to let you know how much I appreciate your virtual presence. I’m gonna check out the boy smells candle (they sell them close to me here in NYC). I’ll check out/savor/scarf the donuts when I’m in ChiTown. Have a great week!

November 25, 2018 / 4:07 pm

Diana! I’m so sorry for the late reply but thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a nice comment! Did you get any candles?? I want to live vicariously through other people’s candle purchases haha.

6. October 9, 2018 / 7:08 am

I so feel you on this, Erin. I have lulls in my creativity and writing a lot and it’s always so frustrating. I’m learning to embrace it as just anxiety though and I think it’s great that you wrote about it. That’s what I’ve been doing too–writing about the writer’s block, about how I’m feeling. I think it’s normal for creativity to ebb and flow. I love reading posts like this, so thank you for showing us that we’re not alone!

Unrelated– the cozy pic of that coffee shop makes me want to crawl right in and drink some coffee there.

7. Kim
    October 23, 2018 / 6:43 pm

We are all feeling your October doldrums here in Chicago. The fall got cold immediately. That was after a meh summer. This is my first comment on a blog as I have started to research to start my own. Someday! Yours was the first I subscribed to. You are genuine and honest. We all have our faults and “skeletons”. The more “perfect” a person tries to be the more faulty we know they are. I figure not everyone has to like me, there are plenty of those who do. Sorry, I probably went off topic but I’ve been reading your past posts as well.
    Just keep being you!

October 27, 2018 / 7:49 am

Aw thanks so much Kim! Let me know if you need any help getting started!!